Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Model 3 power frunk/trunk fitting service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind paying tax that's due, it's the handling fee that often seems a bit OTT. I've had parcels delivered where the VAT handling fee has exceeded the amount of VAT, and made up a disproportionate amount of the total cost. I'm not convinced that it really costs these parcel delivery companies anything like the amount they charge, TBH. Years ago I imported an aircraft in kit form, and sorted out the VAT payment myself, and even in that pre-digital era it was a very simple process, that only took about five minutes to do, and most of that time was spent looking up the correct import code for the item.

Reactions: Roy W.
I don't mind paying tax that's due, it's the handling fee that often seems a bit OTT. I've had parcels delivered where the VAT handling fee has exceeded the amount of VAT, and made up a disproportionate amount of the total cost. I'm not convinced that it really costs these parcel delivery companies anything like the amount they charge, TBH. Years ago I imported an aircraft in kit form, and sorted out the VAT payment myself, and even in that pre-digital era it was a very simple process, that only took about five minutes to do, and most of that time was spent looking up the correct import code for the item.
You’re quite right. Because they understated the parcel value at $69 the tax was only £13.83, plus a £12 handling fee! I was quite pleased with that. Had they stated the correct value of $465.80 the amount to pay would have been a little more...

ssssshhhhhhh the tax man cometh......
Mr H, if I was to purchase the S version of the powered frunk would that be something that you would be able to install? I don't have the car yet, it is due mid-late September but I am in Portsmouth and noticed that there was someone else in Southampton that would like to take advantage of your service... Two birds and all that?

Tesla model S Power Frunk (2016+ model) | Hansshow

Saying that, I have just noticed that you are in Manchester. When they eventually allow fans back I should be able to start using my season ticket again at Old Trafford...

Mr H, if I was to purchase the S version of the powered frunk would that be something that you would be able to install? I don't have the car yet, it is due mid-late September but I am in Portsmouth and noticed that there was someone else in Southampton that would like to take advantage of your service... Two birds and all that?

Tesla model S Power Frunk (2016+ model) | Hansshow

Saying that, I have just noticed that you are in Manchester. When they eventually allow fans back I should be able to start using my season ticket again at Old Trafford...

I don't see why not, the small amount of research i've done shows the two kits to be very similar. What's the worst that could happen ;)

Don't order the kit before the car arrives because you need to check it doesn't have the double latch kit on the frunk lid as the kit won't fit if it does.

The discount code Time4Tesla also works for the model S frunk kit.

As i don't watch football i've no idea where Old Trafford is :p

Reactions: Jerryjal
Which carrier delivered yours? Mine two weeks ago came by FedEx. As soon as it arrived at Heathrow I received a customs charge text, with a link to pay. About a week after delivery I received a receipt from FedEx through the post.

Customs charges aren't optional - if the package gets checked, and the declared contents are worth more than the limit (£30 I think) then you'll have a charge to pay, plus a handling fee. In my case Hansshow had declared the value at $69, which is why the charge was so low.
It was DPD I think? Not sure. I wonder if Hanshow have a slow shipping route that they use to avoid customs charges? It did think it odd, but they contacted me over WhatsApp cos I enquired about fitters in London. It was me that got the £500 quote :mad:

I don't see why not, the small amount of research i've done shows the two kits to be very similar. What's the worst that could happen ;)

Don't order the kit before the car arrives because you need to check it doesn't have the double latch kit on the frunk lid as the kit won't fit if it does.

The discount code Time4Tesla also works for the model S frunk kit.

As i don't watch football i've no idea where Old Trafford is :p

Ok, I’ll wait for the car to get here before I order it, thanks for the heads up and I’ll let you know when it’s here.

Reactions: Mr H
Many thanks to Mr H for his help Saturday evening. I’d mostly fitted the kit but after 8 hours I’d run out of talent when it came to sorting the power supply. Darren talked me through that and i was able to leave the rest for Sunday.

I installed the kick sensor Sunday which was actually really easy and works well. I’ve left the CANBUS connection off for now.

• Love
Reactions: Roy W. and Mr H
It was DPD I think? Not sure. I wonder if Hanshow have a slow shipping route that they use to avoid customs charges? It did think it odd, but they contacted me over WhatsApp cos I enquired about fitters in London. It was me that got the £500 quote :mad:

FWIW, my frunk kit arrived from Hansshow this afternoon, ordered on 24/8/2020 and delivered via FedEx. So far no request for VAT, fingers crossed! IIRC, FedEx are one of the companies that won't deliver until you've coughed up their fee plus the VAT, so perhaps I've been lucky this time.

I'm not going to bother to fit the foot sensor for now, I think I'll see how I get on without it before making a final decision. If I opt never to fit it, I'll probably stick it on the "for sale" section here.

FWIW, my frunk kit arrived from Hansshow this afternoon, ordered on 24/8/2020 and delivered via FedEx. So far no request for VAT, fingers crossed! IIRC, FedEx are one of the companies that won't deliver until you've coughed up their fee plus the VAT, so perhaps I've been lucky this time.

I'm not going to bother to fit the foot sensor for now, I think I'll see how I get on without it before making a final decision. If I opt never to fit it, I'll probably stick it on the "for sale" section here.
That was very quick delivery. Mine took 13 days coming by FedEx. Yours might have been quicker because it managed to slip through the customs net, as I suspect that takes a day or two to process.

Good luck with fitting. You must let us all know how it goes.

That was very quick delivery. Mine took 13 days coming by FedEx. Yours might have been quicker because it managed to slip through the customs net, as I suspect that takes a day or two to process.

Good luck with fitting. You must let us all know how it goes.

It was quicker than I expected, plus it probably got delayed by the bank holiday weekend, so without that it might have been here a day or so earlier. I'd think you're probably right about the delay if it gets picked up for payment of tax, too.

Rather than keep taking this thread off-topic, I'll start another thread detailing how the installation goes, without giving blow-by-blow details that are in the existing YouTube installation videos. Might have to wait for a day or two though, as I'm part way through building a new PC right now, and it's not exactly straightforward as I've opted to try and build a hackintosh, just for a bit of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.