Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Power Liftgate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
45” fully extended. I never measured the OEMs.

Could someone who owns an OEM model 3 trunk measure it for me and tell me if this mod does in fact have the same opening size as this mod. I read the i1Tesla mod did in fact shrink the height the trunk opened and this is a deal breaker for me. I am still waiting anxiously for my model 3 to arrive in my country so can't do the measurements myself unfortunately.

Could someone who owns an OEM model 3 trunk measure it for me and tell me if this mod does in fact have the same opening size as this mod. I read the i1Tesla mod did in fact shrink the height the trunk opened and this is a deal breaker for me. I am still waiting anxiously for my model 3 to arrive in my country so can't do the measurements myself unfortunately.

If you're concerned with putting stuff into it, I can say you definitely will not lose any ability to put stuff into it. Regardless of whether it's the same height or not, the area to stick stuff is still preserved.

Pretty sure it's the same height though. When bolting on the new struts, I was able to remove one strut and put the new one in it's place with it fully extended.

Teslaoffer uploaded a new install video today that’s pretty informative when combined with their previous install video and the one from Tesla Raj.

Thanks for posting the updated video.

I noticed that they are now recommending to tap power into the 12V wire on the driver’s side along with the CAN bus wires, but doesn’t that mean the foot sensor won’t work unless the car is on Sentry or already unlocked?

On the other hand, what is the downside of going straight to the battery? Is there constant drain as the foot sensor is “hunting” for activity, and if so, is the drain significant?

I just got this power liftgate installed yesterday by Calibred customs. https://www.yelp.com/biz/calibred-customs-los-angeles-3
Johnny came out and was able to get it done in around 3 hours. He was great and professional. Asked for my opinion on where to place the buttons. He also helped me get the cabin air filters so I could clean them. Please call them if you want it installed without a fuss. For me it was worth it.
On the other hand. I'm loving this liftgate so far. It's so much more convenient to have the trunk pop open and be able to close with a touch of the button. I got the kick sensor and that's a little hit or miss. There's a small sensor window. I'm going to test it out more and see how it works out.

I just got this power liftgate installed yesterday by Calibred customs.
Johnny came out and was able to get it done in around 3 hours. He was great and professional. Asked for my opinion on where to place the buttons.

How much did they charge you? Did they have the kit or did you have to order it from China?

I see on their website they also serve San Francisco. Hoping I can get them to install one for me.

I would think they should be able to do it much faster. At 5 hours, they would be charging $60 an hour.

Sure, they could, but this is paying for replacing YOU doing it yourself. If you take 5 hours (or possibly longer), how much is it worth to not have to do that?

If you want to wrap or PPF your car, the actual film costs are usually on the order of 100s of dollars, but installs typically cost thousands. Should I be upset that it costs so much for the labor? No. High skill labor isn't cheap.

Reactions: Uncle Don
How much did they charge you? Did they have the kit or did you have to order it from China?

I see on their website they also serve San Francisco. Hoping I can get them to install one for me.

I had to order it from HK teslaoffers. They were backordered so it took around 2 weeks to get it. You can contact Johnny directly for how much to install it. +1 (310) 654-0532. He says there are people in the Bay Area who can install it too and you can reach out to him.

The People from teslaoffers are visiting from Hong Kong for end of July so they are offering to install it for around $300. I spoke with them and they will be in la area for sure. I’m not sure about Bay Area though.

IMHO this power LiftGate should’ve been stock especially with how heavy the trunk is. It’s so nice to be able to tap a button to close it. It’s nice to have it spring open when your Hands are full.

Reactions: Uncle Don
Sure, they could, but this is paying for replacing YOU doing it yourself. If you take 5 hours (or possibly longer), how much is it worth to not have to do that?

If you want to wrap or PPF your car, the actual film costs are usually on the order of 100s of dollars, but installs typically cost thousands. Should I be upset that it costs so much for the labor? No. High skill labor isn't cheap.
I have no problem paying Tesla $300 to install it. What if they mess up something? Would this void the Tesla warranty?