Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Projected 0-60 Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's all keep in mind that there are a handful of cars at around $40k-$50k that have 0-60 mph times in the low 4s

But none of them are premium sedans. Comparing it with a muscle car is rather pointless, because the Model 3 will have tech, those muscle cars just won't have. The 56k stingray only does 0-60 in 4 seconds and it is a Chevy, with a mass produced V8, that only has space for two adults.

With AWD mid-low 4's isn't that tricky for cars even in the mid 30k range - A Subaru STI or Focus RS will do 4.7sec 0-60 stock and 4.4 with a ~500 dollar tune. Heck, a 26k WRX can do 5.0 and 4.7 with a quick tune.

I'd be surprised if the awd 3 isn't capable of being in this ballpark - (while obviously not being so clutch abusive)

I'd be surprised, if you'd be able to buy a 26k Model 3, period. And I wouldn't start comparing a Focus, to the Model 3.

To have a good comparison, of what to beat. Look at Cadillac, Audi, BMW, Mercedes. Not some boy racer cheap cars, someone decided to put an expensive drivetrain in. It will be borderline impossible, to build an equal bang for the buck Model 3, since it is already 20k more in base trim, than a base Focus.

If you want a quick car cheaply, don't even start looking at premium/luxury cars.

But none of them are premium sedans. Comparing it with a muscle car is rather pointless, because the Model 3 will have tech, those muscle cars just won't have. The 56k stingray only does 0-60 in 4 seconds and it is a Chevy, with a mass produced V8, that only has space for two adults.

I'd be surprised, if you'd be able to buy a 26k Model 3, period. And I wouldn't start comparing a Focus, to the Model 3.

To have a good comparison, of what to beat. Look at Cadillac, Audi, BMW, Mercedes. Not some boy racer cheap cars, someone decided to put an expensive drivetrain in. It will be borderline impossible, to build an equal bang for the buck Model 3, since it is already 20k more in base trim, than a base Focus.

If you want a quick car cheaply, don't even start looking at premium/luxury cars.

Define "premium sedan" as it relates Model 3. Is it a certain je ne sais quoi?

Why not compare a Focus RS to a Model 3. Elon said Model 3 should be better compared to any car in its price range

The Focus RS at $36-40k:

- Physically smaller
- More cargo space (it's a hatchback)
- AWD with dynamic torque vectoring
- 0-60 in 4.6 seconds (motortrend)
- Range of 250 miles on a full tank.
- 10 speaker system including subwoofer
- Support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Optional heated front seats and steering wheel
- Optional Navigation

Define "premium sedan" as it relates Model 3. Is it a certain je ne sais quoi?

Why not compare a Focus RS to a Model 3. Elon said Model 3 should be better compared to any car in its price range

The Focus RS at $36-40k:

- Physically smaller
- More cargo space (it's a hatchback)
- AWD with dynamic torque vectoring
- 0-60 in 4.6 seconds (motortrend)
- Range of 250 miles on a full tank.
- 10 speaker system including subwoofer
- Support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Optional heated front seats and steering wheel
- Optional Navigation

The Model 3 will surely have:
-optional autopilot
-more interior space
-big touchscreen standard
-pure electric, with a range of more than 215 miles every day
-some standard safety features
-a brand name that isn't Ford

The Model 3 will maybe have:
-not just plastic panels
-navigation standard
-heated seats standard

There is no way the base 3 will have a 0-60 of 5.6 and 4.6 at the same time. So if you value 0-60 (and cargo space) above all, the Focus will be the better car for the money. If you want something more balanced, the 3 will be better, IMO.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
The recently released guide Tesla says Model 3 will have fewer than 100 configurations to Model S’ more than 1,500
that compared the specs of Model S to Model 3 looked to me like more of a marketing push to try to sell more Model S to folks on the Model 3 waiting list. I think they are soft selling the 3 which makes sense because demand is so high with hundreds of thousands reserved compared to Model S. Look at the delivery estimate of 1 year+ for the Model 3 -v- 30 days or less for the Model S. I don't think we should look at that marketing effort as a definite indicator of what configurations will be available when.

Assuming the 75D can do this "naturally" by just having dual motors, I'd assume the 3 could do the same if not better. But since Tesla doesnt want the 3 to be faster than the S, I would also assume this extends to the base D configuration also.

Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla

tesla.jpg

Assuming the 75D can do this "naturally" by just having dual motors, I'd assume the 3 could do the same if not better. But since Tesla doesnt want the 3 to be faster than the S, I would also assume this extends to the base D configuration also.

View attachment 228380
Who says they don't want it to be faster? Link?

The dual motor Model 3 will be faster than the Model s 75.

View attachment 228380
The 75D is software limited. The 75D and the P100D have the same motors. They are software limiting the motor torque to save the battery. The 75D is a waste of money.

I'm talking about what could happen ( P100D )....not what Tesla is doing.

For example...take your Model S in for service today. Tesla will give you a P100D Model S loaner right?

Step on the accelerator of that P100D and you will get the performance of the old Model S 60 with a top speed of 85MPH.