Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Pulling to Right (FW Bug!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exact same thing happened to me. Car pulls to right. Took it to service center then came back worse! I don't know what to do at this point... just take it in again?

I did speak with Tesla and they convinced me that the car has to calibrate itself to the dimensions of the road (i.e., 'road crown'). This doesn't have an affect on the tires apparently but they did agree that if there were any further pulling that I should bring the car back in. Fair enough, I took valet delivery.

So i got my Model 3 back and it has been repaired. I will say that the steering wheel is not dead on center (I am a little OCD) but the car does drive straight and I can leave my hand off the wheel (temporarily) without it going off to the side. It's better than it ever has been so I'm satisfied.

I'll continue to monitor and report back if it degrades.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Crap. Mine is there right now. Now I'm worried they will make it worse. With auto pilot now I don't care as much. (I noticed when I first got the car without autopilot)

Apparently this is totally unrelated to autopilot. So I wouldn't worry.

If you feel it still pulls, then report it to your Service agent. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry, If your alignment is correct, the car will apparently learn it's way to being straight. Even if that is annoying to us drivers. :)

Reactions: omar
I get it back Friday and they said they tested and fixed it. Drove it 7 miles it looks like so they probably tested it well. We shall see.

I had 40 miles driven by the SC! Initially it pulled even worse when I got it back but now it's settled and it's a little bit better than before. Give it some time when you get it back. Mine still slightly pulls to the right but overall it's not so bad now... Guess I'll just be waiting for the firmware.

Hi All,

I picked up my Model 3 on 03/31/18 and started noticing the right drift too; HOWEVER, this was minor compared to some of the other random "quirks" I experienced, including:
  1. The car putting itself into Park while trying to pull into a garage/parking stall or pulling out of a garage/parking stall (note: this did not happen while actually driving on city streets/highway)
  2. Getting into the car after previously having the radio tuned to a Top 40 station and have it display the Top 40 station, but simultaneously playing classical AND Spanish music - very strange
  3. Starting on day 7 the car would not always start
  4. My passenger-side mirror decided to not completely unfold on day 8 - causing me to have to restart the car several times to get it to fully unfold
#3 & #4 caused me to swing by the Marina Del Rey Delivery Center on Friday, 04/06/18 and they suggested it may be a firmware update issues so recommended I head over to the Culver City Service Center - which I did unannounced. They took my car in immediately and handed me a new Model S loaner, which I have had since 04/06/18.

They are replacing my Steering Column module, which allows the car to go into different gears and they are replacing my passenger-side mirror assembly since it has difficulties with adjustment - per Tesla Service. They had to special order parts from Fremont, hence the delay.

ETA for vehicle return: Today, 04/11/18

Curious to know if anyone else has had similar issues with the car putting itself into park, the car not starting, the mirror or the radio...

And for the record, I STILL LOVE MY MODEL 3 - the driving experience is unparalleled - I even prefer it to the Model S (Model 3 dash is lower so easier to see over).

Hi All,

I picked up my Model 3 on 03/31/18 and started noticing the right drift too; HOWEVER, this was minor compared to some of the other random "quirks" I experienced, including:
  1. The car putting itself into Park while trying to pull into a garage/parking stall or pulling out of a garage/parking stall (note: this did not happen while actually driving on city streets/highway)
  2. Getting into the car after previously having the radio tuned to a Top 40 station and have it display the Top 40 station, but simultaneously playing classical AND Spanish music - very strange
  3. Starting on day 7 the car would not always start
  4. My passenger-side mirror decided to not completely unfold on day 8 - causing me to have to restart the car several times to get it to fully unfold
#3 & #4 caused me to swing by the Marina Del Rey Delivery Center on Friday, 04/06/18 and they suggested it may be a firmware update issues so recommended I head over to the Culver City Service Center - which I did unannounced. They took my car in immediately and handed me a new Model S loaner, which I have had since 04/06/18.

They are replacing my Steering Column module, which allows the car to go into different gears and they are replacing my passenger-side mirror assembly since it has difficulties with adjustment - per Tesla Service. They had to special order parts from Fremont, hence the delay.

ETA for vehicle return: Today, 04/11/18

Curious to know if anyone else has had similar issues with the car putting itself into park, the car not starting, the mirror or the radio...

And for the record, I STILL LOVE MY MODEL 3 - the driving experience is unparalleled - I even prefer it to the Model S (Model 3 dash is lower so easier to see over).

Mine was putting itself into park because the driver's door was open, when I didn't know it. My door sticks a little but Tesla said it will loosen up over time (mmhmm). Anyways, just a shot in the dark.

BTW, my car last Friday (same day from picking it up for the pull-to-the-right issue) was broken into. Nothing stolen; no one hurt, other than my wallet from the repair bill. To my point... it's going to be at least a month before the window is in that I need to replace. So be happy you were less than a couple of weeks, especially for an unannounced repair. Tesla 3 parts are going to be hard to come by until they are caught up.

Mine was putting itself into park because the driver's door was open, when I didn't know it. My door sticks a little but Tesla said it will loosen up over time (mmhmm). Anyways, just a shot in the dark.

BTW, my car last Friday (same day from picking it up for the pull-to-the-right issue) was broken into. Nothing stolen; no one hurt, other than my wallet from the repair bill. To my point... it's going to be at least a month before the window is in that I need to replace. So be happy you were less than a couple of weeks, especially for an unannounced repair. Tesla 3 parts are going to be hard to come by until they are caught up.
Hi Jason,

Your car was broken into? Ugh...talk about adding insult to injury.

On your driver-side door being open - your door monitor/warning light wasn't on? That's interesting. I wonder if Tesla Service tried that before determining my issue was with the steering assembly.

Thanks for the additional information. Good luck getting your new window!

I think the car can also shift into park if your are driving slowly with seatbelt unbuckled and lift your butt partly off the seat. It can't sense you in the seat anymore. This can happen if you are turning to look behind you while parking, for instance. This has caught people unawares all the way back to the early Model S days.

Reactions: KentuckyX
I think the car can also shift into park if your are driving slowly with seatbelt unbuckled and lift your butt partly off the seat. It can't sense you in the seat anymore. This can happen if you are turning to look behind you while parking, for instance. This has caught people unawares all the way back to the early Model S days.
Yes, a friend and I rented an S a while back and this happened when he was trying to back it into a parking space. Actually scarred the &*^$% out of me. Then we realized he was lifting his butt up while looking over his shoulder as he was trying to back up.

Do people often start driving their car without a seatbelt on? The first thing I do when getting into a car is grab my seat belt. Even if I'm just moving the car from say the driveway to the curb so I can use my leaf blower on the driveway. I mean, I don't always do it then, but it requires a conscious effort not to. It always feels so awkward when I don't, because I'm used to always having my seatbelt on if I'm sitting in driver's seat.

Reactions: oldtrip and DR61
Well, the butt lifting out of the seat while parking would explain a lot (I am fairly petite) - and yet Tesla Service replaced my Steering Column module. I will get details as to exactly what was wrong when I pick it up later today.

As to driving without a seatbelt - generally no, I do not drive without a seatbelt; however, I had already parked, unbuckled my seatbelt and then realized I needed to re-park in three different instances.

I have to say it has been fun driving the S since last Friday, but I do prefer the Model 3 - maybe because I am petite. :) Btw, the S I am driving is a standard 75 - and it is ridiculously fast - I cannot imagine needing Ludicrous Mode. ;-)

Anyone had this issue recently? I picked up yesterday. 37xxx vin in fremont and i noticed it the moment i got on I-880
Scheduled an appointment for next week to take it in

I just started noticing this problem (a significant pull to the right) yesterday. I have about 2,000 miles on the car and updated to software version 28.5 two days ago. Not sure if there is any connection to the software update but I hadn't used the car for a week while on vacation and hadn't hit any significant pothole or bump before that. I guess I need a Service Center visit.

just had this same issue

i’m on 2019.5.15 with roughly 3500 miles and car started pulling to the right. mt kisco service center claimed it’s a FW problem. he said he had a few customers in recent months (one in particular he did 3+ perfect alignments) in which they all came back weeks later with same issue. he then spoke to head of chassis at tesla and supposedly said that there’s 1000s of cases. and that tesla is working on algo update to fix this in future release.

would be interested in hearing of other cases and what they have heard from tesla. hopefully an update will be coming soon to resolve this. thanks!