Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 range inaccuracy vs km driven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just started driving my M3 and when I go on trips the km it is using vs distances I am travelling are way off . I am worried there is something wrong with the battery EG; I drove in heavy traffic 40km today - took 2 hrs trip and the battery used almost 70km . Is this normal ? I am using heating in car and heated seats and sat nav - but battery usage still seems high ?? Should I be concerned ?

I am worried there is something wrong with the battery
There isn’t.
Is this normal ?
Yes.
Should I be concerned ?
No.

You are mixing a couple of things here. The battery indicator shows how much energy remains in your battery, either as percentage or as "kilometers". These are not real world kilometers. The calculation uses the EPA (in your case, the european equivalent) rating along with kWh left in the battery to tell you how much range you can drive in ideal EPA conditions.

How many kilometers you have actually driven are indicated in the trip indicators and the car's total mileage.

I’ve just started driving my M3 and when I go on trips the km it is using vs distances I am travelling are way off . I am worried there is something wrong with the battery EG; I drove in heavy traffic 40km today - took 2 hrs trip and the battery used almost 70km . Is this normal ? I am using heating in car and heated seats and sat nav - but battery usage still seems high ?? Should I be concerned ?
The range displayed on the car's main screen is an estimate, based upon an ideal power consumption rate. Use of heater, heated seats, weather (and temperature), elevation increases, traffic, speed, extra weight carried, can and does have an effect upon the calculated range your battery has used and how much is left.

As previously stated, it's normal and it's nothing to be worried about.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Do you have the latest software with Energy Screen? That'll break down your energy use by type, Driving or Climate Controls or conditioning, Elevation Change, etc. A 2hr trip for 40km, at slow speeds, shouldn't use too much energy, on the other hand, you are using heat so, that's not based upon distance, but time. Could it use 70km worth of battery? Sure. It's possible

Look for the following Energy display. It'll break down your usage by type:
IMG_6288.jpeg

The battery indicator at the top of the screen shows rated range remaining (or percentage of battery if you switch it to that). If you want to see an estimate of the range remaining based on your recent driving, see the consumption tab under the energy screen. The consumption or drive tabs will also show you how your consumption compares to the rated consumption.

Cabin heat can use up a lot of energy if it is very cold. Heating the seats uses much less.

~131Wh per displayed rated km for your (apparent) 2021 Long Range AWD.

Constant is ~137Wh/rkm, but those are not the displayed km.

Use 131Wh, lose a km.

On the trip meter you might find the values required are slightly lower than this, like 130Wh.

70km? 9.1 - 9.2kWh