Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG

There are many things that S&X do that will not be in the Model 3, so I don't think using them as an example is valid with such a degree of certainty - unless you have some inside knowledge?
If it opens automatically JUST LIKE THE S & X by pushing a button on the cable then it is very safe to assume that it'll close JUST LIKE THE S & X.

There's no cost savings in not doing it and it'll just cause customer confusion.

The real cost savings in the 3 are the new battery packs, simpler design, simpler cockpit and screen, and being designed to be manufactured.

If they put the effort into making it open automatically then they put the effort into having it close automatically as not having it close automatically will not make it any cheaper since the tech is already there to have it open automatically.

not having it close automatically will not make it any cheaper since the tech is already there to have it open automatically.
Very cheap to implement a spring loaded release to open. To implement an open/close door, it requires a more advanced mechanism, like a motor and gear.

Not saying it's not possible, but a cost difference is there. My bet is that the door needs to be closed manually. Any future automatic charging will be done under the car (as per patent).

Before we all sink the Model 3 because it's charging door requires us to manually close it, as opposed to the current Model S & X. We should all remember that all gas caps are manually screwed on and off. And while many gas covers can be released from inside, we all had (have) to close them manually. For the majority of ICE drivers moving to a Model 3, manual close will not be an issue, IMHO. It will likely differentiate the 3 from the S & X, but it will be a minor point.

Just weighing in briefly on the charge port door since I haven't seen it mentioned:

The 3/S/X charging doors being fully automatic are a direct indication of how close Tesla thinks they are to L5 full autonomy.

Why? Because when the charging doors are fully automatic (both open and close), then a Tesla "robotaxi" can pull up to a future supercharging snake and both open and close its charge port automatically, with no human intervention.

If the door is manual-close, then this fully automatic operation isn't possible and you'll have a bunch of robotaxis driving around with their charge ports open...

Since even Elon thinks full autonomy is still about 2 years away, it'll be interesting to see what they do with the Model 3's charge port.

Before we all sink the Model 3 because it's charging door requires us to manually close it, as opposed to the current Model S & X. We should all remember that all gas caps are manually screwed on and off. And while many gas covers can be released from inside, we all had (have) to close them manually. For the majority of ICE drivers moving to a Model 3, manual close will not be an issue, IMHO. It will likely differentiate the 3 from the S & X, but it will be a minor point.
I have to close the charging door on my S daily, since it was built before they automated that. Frequently I'll manually shut it more than once a day, since pushing the button on my HPWC to charge my X will also open the door on my S. At this point, I'm likely to keep the S instead of trading it for a 3 (although these pictures aren't helping that decision - holy cow, what a good looking car). My point is that the charge door thing is an incredibly minor nit overall, one way or the other.

You mean we have to find other trivial and inconsequential thing to carp about?

Just weighing in briefly on the charge port door since I haven't seen it mentioned:

The 3/S/X charging doors being fully automatic are a direct indication of how close Tesla thinks they are to L5 full autonomy.

Why? Because when the charging doors are fully automatic (both open and close), then a Tesla "robotaxi" can pull up to a future supercharging snake and both open and close its charge port automatically, with no human intervention.

If the door is manual-close, then this fully automatic operation isn't possible and you'll have a bunch of robotaxis driving around with their charge ports open...

Since even Elon thinks full autonomy is still about 2 years away, it'll be interesting to see what they do with the Model 3's charge port.
This had been mentioned a bunch of times, but the robot arm can just close the charging door when done. Doesn't require the charging door to close by itself.

Last edited:
Very cheap to implement a spring loaded release to open. To implement an open/close door, it requires a more advanced mechanism, like a motor and gear.

Not saying it's not possible, but a cost difference is there. My bet is that the door needs to be closed manually. Any future automatic charging will be done under the car (as per patent).

It'd be more of a cost difference to do a completely new system vs just doing what the S & X do in my opinion.