Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also don't believe there will be a P version of the Model 3. They have priced the Performance package on the Model S/X very high over the standard car and I expect they will want to keep the high performance limited to the high end cars and the new Roadster.
I'm pretty sure that Elon has stated publicly that there will be a Performance version of the Model 3, but it won't be released until later, meaning probably not this year.

I don't expect the Performance Model 3 to be quicker than an S/X P100D.

According to this spotting on Reddit... the CHARGING FLAP IS AUTOMATIC! CONFIRMED! :)

Close-up on the wheel of the Model 3! • r/teslamotors

cfin7Pt.jpg

Not necessarily... just because it flips up automatically doesn't mean it closes automatically. If it's spring loaded for example, the signal from the charger could just trigger the release of the door and it will flip up. The real question is, does it flip down on command? Of course of all things with the car this is one of the most inconsequential things outside of FSD when it's alone.

According to this spotting on Reddit... the CHARGING FLAP IS AUTOMATIC! CONFIRMED! :)

Close-up on the wheel of the Model 3! • r/teslamotors

cfin7Pt.jpg

Reactions: jsrawa and Stirfelt
Not necessarily... just because it flips up automatically doesn't mean it closes automatically. If it's spring loaded for example, the signal from the charger could just trigger the release of the door and it will flip up. The real question is, does it flip down on command? Of course of all things with the car this is one of the most inconsequential things outside of FSD when it's alone.

Elon said eventually they want these things to be able to drive cross country by themselves. Wouldn't it have to flip down automatically for that to be possible?

He said it closes automatically too.

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and JeffK
Well it's safe to assume that if it works the same as an S & X in in opening it it'll work the same in closing it.
I don't think S and X's port uses a spring mechanism, otherwise it wouldn't be able to close automatically. If Tesla really wants to cut cost for M3, then spring will be much cheaper than whatever S and X has.
The poster did mention that the opening motion was smooth, if it were a spring mechanism maybe it'll be more of a jarring motion?

I don't think S and X's port uses a spring mechanism, otherwise it wouldn't be able to close automatically. If Tesla really wants to cut cost for M3, then spring will be much cheaper than whatever S and X has.
The poster did mention that the opening motion was smooth, if it were a spring mechanism maybe it'll be more of a jarring motion?
Not really. If they have a damper it'll still be smooth.