Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the S/X had falcon wing doors, would you assume it would be just as cheap to put them on the 3?

Then you would assume the same with the charging door.

A soft closing spring hinge assembly from a kitchen cabinet door would be cheaper to put in backwards so that the spring pushes open the door, the soft movement mechanism makes it open nicely, and the electromagnet turns off to allow it to open. A few cents of equipment.

Push it closed again when you are done charging and a magnet can hold it closed.

Not hard to engineer or assemble or buy parts for vs what happens now.

If the S/X had falcon wing doors, would you assume it would be just as cheap to put them on the 3?

Then you would assume the same with the charging door.

A soft closing spring hinge assembly from a kitchen cabinet door would be cheaper to put in backwards so that the spring pushes open the door, the soft movement mechanism makes it open nicely, and the electromagnet turns off to allow it to open. A few cents of equipment.

Push it closed again when you are done charging and a magnet can hold it closed.

Not hard to engineer or assemble or buy parts for vs what happens now.
With the benefit of your charging port door opening automatically if you run out of power :D

That makes little sense. Why would a 60kWh Model 3 have less range than a Bolt?

I bet my money on base 60kWh with 238+ mile range.
The motor in the Model 3 will be a little less efficient as is the nature of AC induction vs PM. We don't know the final weights, but the Model 3 should win as far as drag is concerned. I think they'll be fairly comparable when it's all said and done.

I want to say 240, but I held back due to the 215 mile range number Tesla first quoted. We don't know how accurate or conservative that number was.
I suppose there is a chance it could be even smaller battery... Like 55kWh and closer to 215 miles range for the base configuration.
There will be compromises and hard decisions to meet the price point they promised.

Hopefully the actual specs end up being better than the "at least this good" numbers they first announced.

No, no, no. Nothing less than 75kWh at all! :)
Simplified production, one battery. It should be only ~2000$ more today (or even less) than the proposed 60kWh?
By around December and a full production of Model 3 it should be cheaper to manufacture than that.
I speculate they will vow the world and all Model 3s will have 300+miles of range.
:p

• Funny
Reactions: ilg and Stirfelt
No, no, no. Nothing less than 75kWh at all! :)
Simplified production, one battery. It should be only ~2000$ more today (or even less) than the proposed 60kWh?
By around December and a full production of Model 3 it should be cheaper to manufacture than that.
I speculate they will vow the world and all Model 3s will have 300+miles of range.
:p
Where's the "optimistic" button when we need it?

Reactions: Model 3

I'd be really impressed if Tesla was able to beat the absolute efficiency of the Bolt. The bolt is a tiny little car, every time I park next to one in my Leaf, the Leaf looks huge. The permanent magnet motor type of the Bolt gives it another efficiency advantage that would be hard to overcome.

Kudos to Tesla if they can do it, but I'm skeptical. I think they'd need to exceed whatever bolts use-able battery capacity is in order to do it.

-Jim

• Informative
Reactions: cdub
Here's my nostrawrongus prediction...

300 miles of range for the base model.
And then performance version will be immediately available in two wheel drive by using the new S motor.
Frunk is going to be latch more naturally
0-60 on all model 3's will be sub 5 second.
Also the steering wheel is going to be different... more like the original oval design with some sort of ball and gimble madness on the wheel... more functionality on the steering wheel and gear shifter movement will be unique

Behold nostrawrongus has spoken.

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8
Future superchargers look like this:
Robot-animated-gif-lost-in-space-39103214-480-359.gif
Danger Will Robinson !