Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Husband and son were driving back from a 5 day backpack trip in eastern Sierras (Bishop, CA area) today and stopped at the Supercharger in Cabazon, CA. They checked out several SCs on their trip "just for fun" to see what they were like for future reference and have a "waiting for my Model 3" license plate holder on our Ford Escape. So, when they got home I learned 2 things:
1. Cabazon location now has 16 superchargers, up from 10.
2. They saw three Model 3s there charging, all 3 were shrouded under car covers. A large unmarked support truck was near by along with 4 Tesla employees huddled under some shade trees. My guys were VERY excited to see this and walked over. Owners who were charging Ss and Xs didn't seem to notice or care. Employees weren't too talkative. One repeated "can't confirm or deny" to a couple questions husband asked. Said they were headed back to Fresno and "appreciated" that he was a M3 reservation holder. One did request that no picture be posted on social media when she saw husband taking a pic to show me and he promised (sorry - he takes his promises seriously! Apologies to the "no pic it didn't happen" folks) It was a red car with those aero wheels). One employee had in an ASU ball cap so perhaps they were over here in Arizona - given our recent temperatures, probably doing some hot weather testing!

My prius has a backup camera too, it's more of a matter of getting comfortable with the perceived distances in the view. My Prius also doesn't have those guiding lines... Are those accurate as to where the corners of your vehicle will be or are just lines for the heck of it like in some vehicles?
They adjust as you turn the steering wheel, and pretty accurately predict the track of the rear wheels. The combination of those lines with the size of the screen makes it really easy. As you back into a marked spot, like the guy in the video, just center the tire tracks between the parking space lines and you're golden.

Depending on manufacturer. Usually those lines are dead accurate. They represent where the outer sides of tires will be if you go that far WITHOUT moving the steering wheel.
I care less about the tires and more about the actual corners of the car... you know the things that would end up hitting something :p

I guess the ultrasonics would have to cover this case.

That dude has a hell of a lot more confidence in reverse than I do
No need to practice beforehand. Wait until you get the Tesla - the backup camera makes it super easy.]
Agreed.

@JeffK, with the big rear view camera image and the lines onscreen indicating the projected path of the tires, backing up a Tesla is very easy. You will be amazed.

Reactions: JeffK
#88 was cruising the 5 today • r/teslamotors

18" lacking Aero covers
d18n3yfoex6z.jpg

I say the next person who speaks with one of the drivers should simply be blunt, ask what's up with the open windows, and call them out directly. Ask if the AC works or not. Their face should give away the answer immediately if they don't verbally confirm.
You know the reason if you just think a little bit... How are the paparazzi supposed to get clear shots of the interior if the windows is closed? ;)

I remember that the Model S backup camera was initially missing the trajectory. So even if it's missing on delivery they can be added with an OTA update
Yes, the backup lines were one of the "car gets better after you buy it" things that happened to us -- initially there were no lines, nuh-uh, nuttin'. Another major add after a while (besides nav & screen changes etc) was brake hold on hills -- pretty crazy that that could be added OTA with a software update.