Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg

If you park with the trunk facing the wind, the sudden loads on the trunk lid might bend it. Just a little bit. Enough to make it look misaligned.

Man, bummer that they really didn't "solve" the trunk opening issue, despite Elon's assurances.

I think they did make the trunk opening as large as it can be in a sedan (still a trunk rather than a hatch). The S is a hatch. The X is a hatch. The Y will be a hatch. The Model 3 is a sedan.

Most formed sheet steel has a fairly low yield strength. I am not buying that they can't get the seam where the trunk meets the C-Pillar flush and aligned at the factory. I have seen it done once. They ought to be able to do that every time.

So when I see that seam misaligned, I think the trunk/deck lid is getting bent slightly during use.

Hoping to get them to bite the bullet and put in a little extra cost to make the trunk lid less fragile.

Man, bummer that they really didn't "solve" the trunk opening issue, despite Elon's assurances.
I'm intertesteed to know how you can determine that from a single photo taken from the side of the car, a photo that doesn't show the trunk opening, and you do not have any dimensional data for the Model 3 trunk opening at the 3/31/2016 reveal nor do you have any for the latest Model 3 RC vehicles.

I think they did make the trunk opening as large as it can be in a sedan (still a trunk rather than a hatch). The S is a hatch. The X is a hatch. The Y will be a hatch. The Model 3 is a sedan.

Most formed sheet steel has a fairly low yield strength. I am not buying that they can't get the seam where the trunk meets the C-Pillar flush and aligned at the factory. I have seen it done once. They ought to be able to do that every time.

So when I see that seam misaligned, I think the trunk/deck lid is getting bent slightly during use.

Hoping to get them to bite the bullet and put in a little extra cost to make the trunk lid less fragile.
When I see that I think it was hand built, and hope the release versions will be better. I highly doubt there will be any stress on the sheet metal - all of the stress should be on the hinge.