Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Opening via button seems absolutely obvious (just release the latch). What I'm more interested in is if it can close by itself. This also seems necessary for fully autonomous charging. And I'd leave it open sooooo often if it doesn't have it, having been trained by my wife's X. One of my biggest complaints about my Leaf vs. the X is manually opening and closing the charge port door (and the interior cover), instead of opening when you push a button on the charging cord, and automatically closing when you unplug and walk away.
For fully automated charging, I assume you will have the robot snake thingy, why not design it so the snake close it for you? If you're plugging/unplugging manually, and can't be bothered to close the charger door, I think we may need to invent another level above "1st world problem" for this.

A coworker who has a Model 3 reservation claims to have seen 6-8 Model 3s on a car carrier in West Texas driving east towards San Antonio (he had been at Big Bend with his family). When I told him another coworker named Bob had claimed to see a Model 3 the week before on a freeway in town and eventually agreed it was a Model X, he said. "I'm not Bob. I know the difference between a Model 3 and Model X." No pics. All I got.

• Funny
Reactions: Sonny Daze
For fully automated charging, I assume you will have the robot snake thingy, why not design it so the snake close it for you? If you're plugging/unplugging manually, and can't be bothered to close the charger door, I think we may need to invent another level above "1st world problem" for this.

Don't forget that tesla has also shown interest in 'under car' charging - which would make much more sense for full automation.

Tesla patent shows new way to automated high-speed charging with external cooling

The charge door might be for people use only.

Reactions: tomas
Wow it really does! Good catch! That's the first time I noticed that... That could either mean that they simply attached an iPad pro to fool us or debug, or there is a huge supply deal in play with Apple lol... There were those meetings a while back.... (if it is an Apple logo, that is)
Or it could mean that its not an apple logo.....

Maybe its an orange logo or a lemon logo or how about a peach logo? That video is going to fast for you to pick out your favorite fruit.

Reactions: MarkeR2002
I'm just happy that those cup holders look like they were designed by Americans!! I MIGHT be able to comfortably carry a large iced coffee in there!
Yet another enabling car.

I'm surprised it doesn't come with a garden hose port that attaches to a "soft drink" port at the "drive through" to fill the 10 gallon frunk bottle attached to the 5 foot sippy straw that emerges from the removable secret door in the steering wheel.

Now that would be space ship like.

I own a Model X. Auto-closing charge port door is the least of my laziness problems. Seriously - people open and close the doors to their cars by pushing and pulling?! I get frustrated when it's not the driver's door and I have to do so much as press a button to do it!