Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
img_1752-jpg.231630

Is it just me, or does it look like that car cover isn't poking out enough for the flip up door to be open over the charge port.

View attachment 231630 Not my pic...Facebook user road tripped to LA from MN and back. At the Brush Colorado supercharger came across a Model 3 covered. The user said two Tesla engineers pleaded to not to take pictures of it uncovered. They continued to see them at superchargers until Des Moines where they went different directions. It was a red RC. Looks like Tesla is putting some good miles on the RCs.
I wonder how peeved Elon, JB et al are getting with all the pre-reveal reveals. Almost sounds like a 'D'-level "you can't keep anything secret because of the Internet" type announcement again? ;)

I wonder how peeved Elon, JB et al are getting with all the pre-reveal reveals. Almost sounds like a 'D'-level "you can't keep anything secret because of the Internet" type announcement again? ;)
I don't know. I, personally, don't believe we've seen anything terribly different from the launch besides the modified front end.

We've got confirmation of max battery size by Elon himself. Every difference we've been seeing in the uncovered Model 3 RCs is trivial at best.

What's left besides range, acceleration of non-base models, and pricing?

I don't know. I, personally, don't believe we've seen anything terribly different from the launch besides the modified front end.

We've got confirmation of max battery size by Elon himself. Every difference we've been seeing in the uncovered Model 3 RCs is trivial at best.

What's left besides range, acceleration of non-base models, and pricing?
Judging by the amount of discussion there appear to be a number of important areas: Dashboard venting, steering wheel incl. multi-directional scroll wheels, driving UI, charging flap and port size for enabling multiple standards, trunk/book resizing and manual trunk operation, multipliedinterior options, new nose, split folding rear seats, etc. I guess the alternative is what is NOT revealed beyond what you said? Charge rate, um.... um... ? :)

Judging by the amount of discussion there appear to be a number of important areas: Dashboard venting, steering wheel incl. multi-directional scroll wheels, driving UI, charging flap and port size for enabling multiple standards, trunk/book resizing and manual trunk operation, multipliedinterior options, new nose, split folding rear seats, etc. I guess the alternative is what is NOT revealed beyond what you said? Charge rate, um.... um... ? :)
Exactly, what's left for the reveal event? Is there anything special or are we all in for a "meh" moment? Elon is giving low expectations by saying we're really going to just see fit and finish improvements, polished edges etc.

I think it's intentional. It's like the drivers were told, "Try and cover it up when you're parked, but don't go too crazy about it." So, we see the odd car cover or jacket thrown over the display and steering wheel here and there (but not consistently). I think they want to ensure the public, press and investors that the Model 3 is on track and ready for prime time by "unofficially" parading multiple copies of the car out in the open (why have such highly visible identifying numbers on test vehicles if they're just for internal tracking purposes?). This way, they can maintain the stance that they are not providing any more information about the car until the final reveal, while not spooking the public/press/investors into thinking the car will be delayed because there's no tangible evidence that any progress is being made on production readiness.

Last edited:
View attachment 231630 Not my pic...Facebook user road tripped to LA from MN and back. At the Brush Colorado supercharger came across a Model 3 covered. The user said two Tesla engineers pleaded to not to take pictures of it uncovered. They continued to see them at superchargers until Des Moines where they went different directions. It was a red RC. Looks like Tesla is putting some good miles on the RCs.
I haven't bought a car cover in years, so there may have been recent design changes, but why does this cover have a slit in it by the B-pillar? Is it to allow driver ingress/egress without having to remove the cover? Also, what's the purpose of the slits or pleats over the rear window?

View attachment 231630 The user said two Tesla engineers pleaded to not to take pictures of it uncovered. They continued to see them at superchargers until Des Moines where they went different directions.

I think that's the point where I would have started to play, "Let's make a deal!" :cool:
(Because one quick ride is worth no pictures, right?)

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: EinSV and MP3Mike
FB poster said no. They did get a chance to look inside and said it looks like every other RC interior pic they've seen online. I'm beginning to think it is the range they are trying to hide.
Wouldn't the jacket trick accomplish the same thing without having to go through the hassle of covering the entire car? Almost seems they want to draw attention to the car by covering it up and making passersby curious about what's underneath. Proof is right here in this thread. :) If the car had been uncovered, we'd just say, "OK, just another RC out and about. Nothing new here." Instead, we're speculating about what they're trying to conceal and generating buzz on the Internet.

Someone needs to teach the Tesla engineers supercharger courtesy - don't take the pull-in stall, so that a Model X towing a trailer can take it without unhooking, or blocking multiple chargers! (Actually, I'm impressed at how well the X driver did at not blocking any chargers).

I think Tesla is intentionally driving the release candidates around in public to let everyone know that the Model 3 is on schedule and it is going into production when Tesla says it is.

That said, I also think that the Model 3 sightings in the midwest indicate that Tesla is doing some serious long distance drive testing above and beyond what can be done on the company test track in Fremont.