Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that a bit of wear on the driver's headrest (the two white patches)?

fkiavgti545z.jpg

On reddit the person who took the photo said it is adhesive from a label like on the passenger seat.

• Informative
Reactions: BluestarE3
Wow... There's a reason cars with real dashboards have them built recessed into the dash so they are in a shadow. Look at that glare and the fingerprints... I realize that the screen is off, but you can't remove that glare and reflections that easily. Ugh, I'm sorry, but I'm not liking this at all. Unless that screen is OLED, it's going to be tough to read it in bright daylight.

cdNLhsB.jpg
That photo, plus all the other "spy" photos we've seen so far of the display, were shot at an oblique angle from outside the vehicle. We need to see it photographed from the driver's seated position before passing judgment.

Using Photoshop, I performed some crude measurements of the charging screen to estimate the Model 3's current state of charge to be about 31% with 95 miles of rated range. That extrapolates out to about 306 miles of rated range (!!) for a 100% charge.

View attachment 232282

Reasoning:
  • The gauge fits about 3 of the green section (each measured by a different-colored line of identical length), plus another 25% of the green section.
  • If x is the current SOC, then 3.25x ~= 100% SOC --> x ~= 31% SOC
  • 95 miles / 31% = 306 miles
  • The dashed line (target SOC) appears to be set to about 90%, which roughly with fits the calculations above.
If what we're seeing here is accurate and headed to production, then it would appear that the 75 kWh battery will indeed break the 300-mile barrier, which is exactly the kind of information that Tesla would want to keep out of public view... until now, apparently...

I didn't know about the dashed line being target SOC. I re-measured and got 305 miles. If that's a non-AWD version, HOLY COW!

Last edited:
Reactions: ikjadoon
I didn't know about the dashed line being target SOC. I re-measured and got 305 miles. If that's non-AWD version, HOLY COW!

In the Model S/X UI, the dashed line represents the currently-configured charge limit, so I would expect it to have the same meaning in the Model 3's UI.

Sounds like we're in the same ballpark, though. If these numbers are accurate, the efficiency numbers are far in excess of what I was expecting. Assuming 71 kWh of available capacity, 306 miles / 71 kWh works out to an astounding 4.31 mi/kWh of rated efficiency. If this RC is RWD (as is likely), then HOLY COW indeed... AWD would probably bump that up to around 320.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
This is very interesting. If max charge is estimated to be around 305miles which makes it 4miles per kw... now with that math, you can assume the 60kw battery pack can achieve 240miles max charge 4x60=240

There will likely be a discrepancy between nominal pack capacity (i.e. 60 kWh and 75 kWh) and usable pack capacity, due to the pack's protective buffer (~4 kWh) and the fact that there aren't exactly 60.0/75.0 kWh worth of cells in the pack. That said, the numbers do work out similarly...
  • 75 kWh pack: 306 rated miles / 71 kWh usable = 4.31 mi / kWh rated efficiency
  • 60 kWh pack: 56 kWh usable * 4.31 mi / kWh = 241 rated miles
  • If the 60 kWh pack is not software-locked, then you would probably gain ~0.08 mi / kWh in efficiency due to weight savings, which would yield ~246 miles of rated range.
I'll admit to retaining some skepticism about these numbers, given how much higher they are than the average EV... but if they're in the ballpark, then WOW.

I remain astonished that Tesla dropped plain white paint as a choice and has not reinstated it. Basic white is one of the most popular automotive colors. Every car manufacturer offers it. Tesla should too.

As I intended to wrap my Model 3, I always thought of getting the basic white as well. But other than that, basic white doesn't seem to be a popular colour for cars at all, at least over here. Most cars over here seem to be either black, grey, or silver, with blue trailing behind. White used to be very unpopular because it was associated with being "cheap" and "utlilitarian" as most white vehicles were delivery vans or carpenters' utility vehicles. It has been getting a little more popular recently though, and as far as European or worldwide markets go does indeed seem to be very popular.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
with some crude perspective correction and some CAD measurements e came up with this.

I scaled the image to another model 3 screen that had a much better perspective.

Please note that the original image used has a perspective that is conducive to result in higher numbers than in reality.

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Using Photoshop, I performed some crude measurements of the charging screen to estimate the Model 3's current state of charge to be about 31% with 95 miles of rated range. That extrapolates out to about 306 miles of rated range (!!) for a 100% charge.
View attachment 232282
Reasoning:
  • The gauge fits about 3 of the green section (each measured by a different-colored line of identical length), plus another 25% of the green section.
  • The dashed line (target SOC) appears to be set to about 90%, which roughly with fits the calculations above.
If what we're seeing here is accurate and headed to production, then it would appear that the 75 kWh battery will indeed break the 300-mile barrier, which is exactly the kind of information that Tesla would want to keep out of public view... until now, apparently...

Basic calculations on range ... :cool:

Currently has 95 miles and is charging at 169 mi/hr with 50mins charge remaining
So 169 miles * 0.833 = 141 miles + 95 = 236 miles range at 90%, so 262 miles at 100%.

cr473i6u445z.jpg

View attachment 232282

Reasoning:

Range seems plenty, but 70kW @ 31% SOC is dissapointing...

Especially since the SC could easily deliver 300A, or 105kW.

Reactions: apacheguy