Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best photos yet from reddit user youyouxue:

Interesting things I noticed:
-Range of ~262 miles based on the charging info (EDIT: charge rate is not constant, so this is a very rough estimate)
-LTE connectivity
-Middle headrest extension visible
-Credit Card style key fob (?) in the cupholders
-32A onboard charger?

cr473i6u445z.jpg

fkiavgti545z.jpg
zqaurduf645z.jpg
h4br28z2745z.jpg

xk0ury7b545z.jpg

gesj0jk5545z.jpg

Last edited:

-Full charge of ~262 miles based on the charging info screen
-LTE connectivity
-32A onboard charger?

Wow... There's a reason cars with real dashboards have them built recessed into the dash so they are in a shadow. Look at that glare and the fingerprints... I realize that the screen is off, but you can't remove that glare and reflections that easily. Ugh, I'm sorry, but I'm not liking this at all. Unless that screen is OLED, it's going to be tough to read it in bright daylight.

cdNLhsB.jpg

I would like a thin credit card key like that.
Definitely interesting. I'm speculating that's what the little square sensor is that we've been seeing on the C-pillars. Maybe unlock via smartphone/bluetooth proximity, but the key card swipe over the sensor is a backup method and/or for people without smartphones to unlock manually? Total shot in the dark, but many car rental businesses have done similar things.

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
Based on the remaining time and charge rate info of that photo, it calculates to a range of ~236 miles. However, I believe the dashed line on the battery pack animation looks like it's planned to stop a 90% charge. That would indicate a full charge of ~262 miles... I'll take that!

There's tapering in the end, so the charging rate is not constant

• Informative
Reactions: FlyNavy01
Definitely interesting. I'm speculating that's what the little square sensor is that we've been seeing on the C-pillars. Maybe unlock via smartphone/bluetooth proximity, but the key card swipe over the sensor is a backup method and/or for people without smartphones to unlock manually? Total shot in the dark, but many car rental businesses have done similar things.

I use one of these for my cards and ID so it would be perfect

Decadent Minimalist Designs

-Range of ~262 miles based on the charging info (EDIT: charge rate is not constant, so this is a very rough estimate)
-LTE connectivity
-32A onboard charger?

cr473i6u445z.jpg

fkiavgti545z.jpg
zqaurduf645z.jpg
h4br28z2745z.jpg

xk0ury7b545z.jpg

gesj0jk5545z.jpg
Tesla should be careful leaving the key in the car, someone might just take it for a spin :D

Wow... There's a reason cars with real dashboards have them built recessed into the dash so they are in a shadow. Look at that glare and the fingerprints... I realize that the screen is off, but you can't remove that glare and reflections that easily. Ugh, I'm sorry, but I'm not liking this at all. Unless that screen is OLED, it's going to be tough to read it in bright daylight.

cdNLhsB.jpg

aftermarket screen protector with anti glare will start to sell not long after model 3 is launched :)

-LTE connectivity
-32A onboard charger?

cr473i6u445z.jpg

fkiavgti545z.jpg
zqaurduf645z.jpg
h4br28z2745z.jpg

xk0ury7b545z.jpg

gesj0jk5545z.jpg
That's not an all glass roof. Even though it looks like one from the outside. CRAP. I was looking for ALL GLASS.

Reactions: Big-T
Interesting. I don't own Tesla so owners please comment, how accurate is that 95mi estimate compared to the graph? I was able to fit the bar 3 times, and it just barely went over the dotted line. Does that mean the full charge is ~3x95 plus some?

I measured it in Photoshop. Assuming the dashed line represents full charge (the rest is buffer), I got a range of 270 miles.

Using Photoshop, I performed some crude measurements of the charging screen to estimate the Model 3's current state of charge to be about 31% with 95 miles of rated range. That extrapolates out to about 306 miles of rated range (!!) for a 100% charge.

M3RangeEstimate.png

Reasoning:
  • The gauge fits about 3 of the green section (each measured by a different-colored line of identical length), plus another 25% of the green section.
  • If x is the current SOC, then 3.25x ~= 100% SOC --> x ~= 31% SOC
  • 95 miles / 31% = 306 miles
  • The dashed line (target SOC) appears to be set to about 90%, which roughly with fits the calculations above.
If what we're seeing here is accurate and headed to production, then it would appear that the 75 kWh battery will indeed break the 300-mile barrier, which is exactly the kind of information that Tesla would want to keep out of public view... until now, apparently...

-LTE connectivity
-32A onboard charger?

cr473i6u445z.jpg

fkiavgti545z.jpg
zqaurduf645z.jpg
h4br28z2745z.jpg

xk0ury7b545z.jpg

gesj0jk5545z.jpg

You may be right about the credit card key fob. It looks like it says Model 3 on it. Also good eye about the middle headrest extension!

• Informative
Reactions: cdub