Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas With Rebuilt Title - Supercharging Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another example is that while many or all manufacturers terminate warranty they are obligated to still retain the emissions warranty by the state.

They are also still required, at least I think they are, to provide recall repairs free of charge to even totaled vehicles that have been put back on the road. (And from what I have seen Tesla does do this.)

states compel the re-registration of those "total losses" by providing the means of inspections and recertification.

Here in Oregon the only "inspection/certification" they do to allow a vehicle back on the road is that the VIN under the windshield matches the VIN in the door frame. (And if there were major repairs you have to show where you bought the parts from and the VIN they came from. This is just to try to prevent stolen parts from being used.) I know other states are much pickier, some even requiring the paint to match on the entire car. (You can't use a perfect fender that is a different color. :eek:)

Nope, there is no same time.

They reimbursed the original owner for the value of the total loss on the car, FSD included.

A salvage tesla sold to an auction house wasn't sold 'with FSD' any more than it was sold with the original powertrain warranty it also doesn't have, it was sold as-is.

Likewise I bet there's nothing on your receipt from the auction lot promising your purchase includes FSD.

(if it does then you'd need to go after the auction house, not Tesla, for that).

Ok, I'm not sure that's saying anything new, different, or contradictory. I agree. I inspected the car myself before bidding. I took pictures. I saw what features were on the car including FSD - it was on the screen. So I bought it as is and I have no complaints with the auction yard. My receipt from the auction yard shows the seller, an insurance company. There definitely is a "same time". The insurance company sold me their car. So the logic to me is I got what I saw. I don't really see this acquisition as any different from buying a car from a private party. If a person purchases any car from a private party the features that are on that car stay with the car. I believe that precedence is well established but it's not really the point here. The point is to find a reconciliatory statement/path that I (or any owner) could get HW3 upgrade. It may not exist but it's not black and white to me.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not sure that's saying anything new, different, or contradictory. I agree. I inspected the car myself before bidding. I took pictures. I saw what features were on the car including FSD - it was on the screen. So I bought it as is and I have no complaints with the auction yard. My receipt from the auction yard shows the seller, an insurance company. There definitely is a "same time". The insurance company sold me their car. So the logic to me is I got what I saw.

That's not really what as-is means.

It means you accept the item even if there are non-visible problems with it, so long as the seller has not represented otherwise.

Unless the seller explicitly told you it includes FSD with the sale, you have no legal recourse for not getting FSD with the sale.

Even if that did, your recourse would be with the seller, not Tesla.

But if you'd rather do something about finding out instead of arguing on the internet just open a service ticket in the app to request the FSD computer upgrade as part of your ownership of an FSD vehicle.

I expect they'll respond with a copy of their unsupported vehicle policy, but it doesn't cost anything to try.

That's not really what as-is means.

It means you accept the item even if there are non-visible problems with it, so long as the seller has not represented otherwise.

Unless the seller explicitly told you it includes FSD with the sale, you have no legal recourse for not getting FSD with the sale.

Even if that did, your recourse would be with the seller, not Tesla.

But if you'd rather do something about finding out instead of arguing on the internet just open a service ticket in the app to request the FSD computer upgrade as part of your ownership of an FSD vehicle.

I expect they'll respond with a copy of their unsupported vehicle policy, but it doesn't cost anything to try.

I accept all visible and non-visible items. No argument. I never disputed that. I never asked what as-is means. I'm not trying to get FSD. I have it. I'm not arguing. I'm asking in an open forum if anyone has logic to present on salvage owners obtaining the HW3 upgrade, diy or otherwise as my previous posts have stated. Usually when people have nothing to offer they just don't reply with anything.

I'd say I have supercharging too but it's disabled. I definitely have FSD unless Tesla ota removes it or just lets the time pass without a hw3 updgrade which deems it useless.

I accept all visible and non-visible items. No argument. I never disputed that. I never asked what as-is means. I'm not trying to get FSD. I have it. I'm not arguing. I'm asking in an open forum if anyone has logic to present on salvage owners obtaining the HW3 upgrade, diy or otherwise as my previous posts have stated. Usually when people have nothing to offer they just don't reply with anything.

Once again you appear uninterested in an actual answer to your question

Open a service ticket with TSLA asking for the HW3 upgrade.

That will actually provide a useful yes/no, rather than asking randos on the internet whose answers will be of 0 actual use to you.

I'd say I have supercharging too but it's disabled.

Then clearly you don't have supercharging.

Which makes sense since Tesla explicitly cites this as something they disallow on salvage cars.

I definitely have FSD unless Tesla ota removes it or just lets the time pass without a hw3 updgrade which deems it useless.

The car is officially unsupported by Tesla, so I'd expect they will close your service ticket requesting a HW upgrade with a copy of their unsupported vehicle policy.

But as I'm now telling you for a third time, only opening a service ticket to find out will resolve that question definitively for you.

Once again you appear uninterested in an actual answer to your question

Open a service ticket with TSLA asking for the HW3 upgrade.

That will actually provide a useful yes/no, rather than asking randos on the internet whose answers will be of 0 actual use to you.

Then clearly you don't have supercharging.

Which makes sense since Tesla explicitly cites this as something they disallow on salvage cars.

The car is officially unsupported by Tesla, so I'd expect they will close your service ticket requesting a HW upgrade with a copy of their unsupported vehicle policy.

But as I'm now telling you for a third time, only opening a service ticket to find out will resolve that question definitively for you.

I disagree. I'll await your breakdown of my sentences, word for word, so that you can again win the interweb.

(moderator note: Its my opinion that this thread is mostly a debate around supercharging removal on teslas, and not so much around model 3s. is there still value in this thread being open for discussion, or is the same basic points being said repeatedly, thus the thread could be locked / moved to off topic)?

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I bought the SETEC CCS adapter. I'll report here if/when I get it and how it works.

BTW, it seems like these things would be very easy to reverse engineer. I'm a mechanical engineer, not an EE, but it seems to me materials to produce this thing are not costly and whatever electronics are in it should be simple enough to engineer.

Let me know on ccs adapter please. My Tesla only has the Tesla regular inlet to the car.
Maybe the chademo is the only choice I have.

Tesla will not take salvage title vehicles. I miss interpreted when they ask about damage to the vehicle.
Basically if the car is In a accident. You can trade it into Tesla.Your value Is determined if there was fame damage or air bags deployed.once the car is deemed salvaged title,that’s when it becomes unacceptable for Tesla trade in.

• Love
I apologize,but catching up on this conversation a little late,but piecing it together now.
I definitely know I need the HW3 upgrade. In which I will call Tesla.
What’s the difference between the chademo and the ccs besides the size?
Will the ccs charge faster? Will I still be using the same charge stations or will this open up more variety?

• Informative
What’s the difference between the chademo and the ccs besides the size?
Will the ccs charge faster? Will I still be using the same charge stations or will this open up more variety?
CHAdeMO is an older standard and is a world standard. CHAdeMO is the same no matter what part of the world you're in.

For CCS, there are two flavors: Combo1 (aka CCS1 aka SAE Combo) and Combo2 (aka CCS2). Combo1 is used in North America and some other parts of the world like South Korea. Combo2 is used in Europe.

Are you in Iowa? If so, in the US we have Tesla's proprietary North American connector, Combo1 and CHAdeMO. Tesla has been selling CHAdeMO Adapter for years. They so far never sold a CCS1/Combo1 adapter and haven't announced any release of such an adapter for North America.

Below is a visual aid taken from EV DC Fast Charging standards – CHAdeMO, CCS, SAE Combo, Tesla Supercharger, etc.
iec-fast-charging-all-standards.jpg

CHAdeMO also uses a different communications protocol (CAN (Controller Area Network) whereas CCS uses Green PHY.

I don't think we know the max charge rate of the unreleased Tesla CCS1 adapter. We also don't know if any such adapters will work on all or a subset of North American Teslas (Model S and beyond) and whether a retrofit is needed/is made available.

As for whether it will open up more variety, yes, possibly. If you bought both the CHAdeMO and whatever CCS1 adapter works (if any), you could use both. VW-owned Electrify America has been at their sites installing only a single CHAdeMO + usually 5 to 7 SAE Combo (CCS1). Woe is you if you arrive and find the lone CHAdeMO station is down/handle doesn't work.

One problem w/CHAdeMO now is that in the US, the only two new vehicles being sold w/CHAdeMO are Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV besides Teslas w/CHAdeMO adapter. Nissan has announced that Ariya for North America and Europe will go CCS. (Nissan also owns a controlling stake in Mitsubishi Motors.) So, as much as I hate to say it, CHAdeMO will likely be in a decline in the US from this point forward.

Last edited:
Rebuilding flood cars is too much of a risk for me. I think long term reliability would be the issue especially salt water.
Hi, i have same problem with my M 3. I resolve it.
Car is possible drive , but charge port is blue , display show ,,charging stopped,, grid voltage 2v. No errors on display. In my case battery voltage go under min level. I open penthaus and charge with ehternal charger battery to 335 VDC. Charge with max 1-2A !!! When charging - disconect 12v battery and BMS conector from HV Battery. I charge in 2 steps , (-) to pirofuse and pirofuse to (+) , it is more safe (only 170 V DC) . After charging check voltage - both side must have equal voltage. Remember - HV Bat BMS dont work with out penthaus metal cover - 2 metal nuts near BMS conector must have conection to car corpus (-12 V ). is possible conect theu with wire to corus . Battery element balance is possible check with OBD2 and SCAN MY TESLA app. or like recomend user 212_nr
Good luck , and sorry for my bad english. Artis

I think they'll do the upgrade, but they might ask you to pay for the high voltage safety inspection first.

I'll let the group know... A few months ago after scheduling an appt for hw3 upgrade they cancelled the appt and said essentially "we'll contact you when we're ready". So recently rescheduled again and will see what happens. One message from tesla was I don't have FSD and another was I do have FSD. We'll see in early Jan when my appt and/or inspection is scheduled.

Yep, I've had two longer session at evgo chargers, no problem. On one occasion I did have a similar issue maybe a minute in, also at an evgo charger. I didn't stick around to play with it but I suspect the adapter needed to be plugged in better and maybe supported.

The Chademo adapter is a good option, it's not as fast as supercharging but it's good, much faster than a typical destination charger.
Does your model 3 have full self driving? You should google the vin and see if you can find pictures of the original damage to the car. If you need help, send me your vin.

Curious to hear if you get a response, chademo is good for now but I'd definitely like to get CCS for the long term.
Even better if someone makes a faster adapter.

CCS adapter from SETEC shipped today. Due to arrive Monday.

Reactions: theothertom
Tesla currently makes no profit off Superchargers. Enabling salvage cars to charge there will not add to profitability.
Not totally true. They don’t want to lose money. Even Elon has said they reason they stopped FUSC was that it was economically unrealistic. It’s may be cost neutral, but they’re making something. How do you think there paying for me new SC installations

Not totally true. They don’t want to lose money. Even Elon has said they reason they stopped FUSC was that it was economically unrealistic. It’s may be cost neutral, but they’re making something. How do you think there paying for me new SC installations
I always thought the cost of new superchargers was somehow rolled into the cost of the car? No evidence for that, just my hunch.