Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Resale Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are 0 P85Ds on tesla.com used listings right now FWIW.

There is ONE non-P and non-AWD and AP1 regular S85 listed... for $51,800.

Yes- and I provided sourced facts supporting my claims.

From 2016, 2018, and 2019- all showing vastly lower depreciation rates than your own unsourced claim regarding Model S resale values.

Certainly there might be specific circumstances for a given car that differ from the average- but those studies all looked at average resale across large #s of Model S cars and thus are more generally reflective of Tesla resale than "I once saw a similar car to my specific one listed for cheap!" anecdotes.

You are 100% incorrect. Not sure what else to tell you.

If you think 2015 P85Ds have not depreciated by 60+% I’ll happily sell mine to anyone on the forum for $70K. Thats only 47%. Heck of a deal.

I posted multiple links to studies proving I am correct. There's even more out there if you look. Your inability to realize one specific cars circumstances are not the same as the general circumstances across a large # of a model of car notwithstanding.

Not sure what else to tell you.

Ever hear the phrase, “there are lies, damn lies, and statistics”? Guess not.

You should buy my car for $70K then. Screaming deal.

But the FSD computer is easily swappable. By design. For that exact reason.

The only thing that would matter is if they make significant, non-swappable, changes to the sensor package.... (like they finally cave and add LIDAR or something)

Well, we know hardware 4 is on the near horizon, and I would guess that won't be a retrofit, so there will be that.

Reactions: KJD
I got a SR for 39K out the door all in before incentives.

With incentives, I believe I will be able to sell in 2 years recovering 30K which puts ownership cost at 350 per month.

We will see if my estimations are successful!

I hope you're right b/c that my plan as well. Only difference is no AZ incentives other low reg. costs.

Pricing Details
Car Price $36,200.00
Rear-Wheel Drive Included
All Black Interior Included
Solid Black Included
Standard Interior Included
18’’ Aero Wheels Included
Model 3 $35,000.00
Standard Range Rear-Wheel Drive Included
Destination Fee $1,125.00
Documentation Fee $75.00
Taxes & Fees $3,167.13
Sales Tax $2,932.20
Tire Fee $4.00
Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees $230.93
Order Deposit -$2,500.00
Amount Due
$36,867.13

- $3.8k FED CREDIT.

It was a tough choice b/t CPO S but nothing came close to this price point w/ AP and I felt the depreciation curve would be steeper in 2-4 yrs for a out of warranty, outdated? CPO S. + CPO prices are going up recently :(

Also 35K M3 new price is going up in July (and hopefully permanently?)

Last edited:
Well, we know hardware 4 is on the near horizon

I mean if you consider 2 years away- in Elon time no less- near horizon....

I would guess that won't be a retrofit, so there will be that.

Why would you guess that?

Again the computer for HW2+ cars was explicitly made to be swapped easily... that was true before HW3 existed, and now HW3 will swap in to any one who bought FSD.

So why wouldn't HW4 be swappable the same way?

Now- will it be free?

It will be if it turns out HW3 isn't enough to deliver the promised FSD features.

Otherwise I don't expect it would be.

This is one place early FSD buyers might have an advantage. We were promised actual level 5 FSD

All the buyers in the last few months were promised a much smaller set of features.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and neroden
Why would you guess that?

Historic Tesla. The only upgrade they have ever offered is hardware 3. So it is the outlier not the norm. Besides, they said in the autonomy day event that they were somewhat constrained with Hardware 3 design because it had to physically fit as a retrofit. I can't imagine them sticking with that constraint more than the 1 upgrade they committed to.

As far as us early level 5 FSD buyers, that will just get chalked up to marketing speak and washed under the table (like how summon in 7.0 on an AP1 car was supposed to pick you up on private property) Tesla may get sued, but they will just pay the settlement (like they did for the EAP folks) and we will each get $20 for our trouble.

Resale will not be great. For the poster who referenced the model S...

My P85D has depreciated 60%+ in just over 4 years.

Most options are worthless and P is particularly worthless. On all cars.

Once you remember that, the depreciation curve for Teslas is pretty standard, but slightly better than gas cars.

My car had a sticker of $130K new. Tesla regularly sells them for $50-55K now.

To be blunt: That's because you overpaid for options which are worthless on the resale market. Your car's value dropped below $80K the day it was delivered.

My car which was $80K new -- because it had very few options, mostly the bigger battery, a couple of others -- will sell on the used market for the same value as an optioned-up $130K car of the same year. Mine's the benchmark for the deprecation.

I've been spending a while watching used Model S market pricing. The only option which seems to be worth anything in the long run is the larger battery.

For a while, the dual chargers / higher-speed AC chargers held their value, but once the Supercharger network got built out, they stopped being valued too. The rare cars without the tech package are worth less, but I haven't seen them on the market in years.

The market doesn't seem to distinguish between cars without Autopilot, with Autopilot 1, or with Autopilot 2. Performance is worthless on the used market and always has been; this was visible already in 2013. AWD vs. RWD -- no difference in used prices.

Historic Tesla. The only upgrade they have ever offered is hardware 3.

That's simply not true.

They offered battery upgrades in the original roadster.

They offered upgrades from 3G to LTE in the S.

They offered Performance (hardware) upgrades to P85D owners.

The only outlier thing about the HW3 upgrade is they're including it free for FSD owners (because they have to to meet the promised features of FSD)

As far as us early level 5 FSD buyers, that will just get chalked up to marketing speak and washed under the table (like how summon in 7.0 on an AP1 car was supposed to pick you up on private property) Tesla may get sued, but they will just pay the settlement (like they did for the EAP folks) and we will each get $20 for our trouble.

Again this is not really correct....The early EAP folks got $20 (up to $280) because Tesla took too long to deliver on EAP features. Not because they never delivered them at all- in fact they DID deliver them eventually.

Which is also why later EAP owners got nothing- since those features had largely been delivered by the time they bought the option.

FSD on the other hand Tesla has been very clear that you don't get everything promised ready to go the day you buy it but will get it eventually (pending regulations)

If they come out with a HW4 and say "Oh, now THIS is what you really need for L5" they'd be obligated to upgrade all the FSD buyers (or at least the pre-March 2019 ones who were promised L5.... the post-March 2019 buyers probably they're not obligated to deliver anything beyond the currently listed specific features, and maybe never better than L2 on those)

• Disagree
Reactions: glide

Once you remember that, the depreciation curve for Teslas is pretty standard, but slightly better than gas cars.

Performance option worthless? Hardly.

Will it depreciate more heavily? Certainly.

But we’re not talking about depreciation is base-model Tesla’s only.

Because you dont have a P car?

You will have much more interest, buyers and higher potential to sell if you have a sought after car.

If you have a run of the mill, what separates you from all the rest?

That's simply not true.

Ah, I see I was not accurate enough with my statement to convey my intent. Hardware 3 is the only autopilot upgrade Tesla has ever offered. So, historically, Tesla does not allow autopilot related upgrades. So I do not believe hardware 4 will be retrofittable based on Tesla’s autopilot history. You will eventually join the long line of disappointed Tesla owners if you expect that.

As far as lawsuit settlements go, the P85D one in Norway is the example where Tesla did not deliver the promised performance, and just paid the settlement.