Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservations ($1000 down) will be accepted in Tesla stores....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to confirm, unless you want the top of the line model 3, (and live on the west coast) reserving in person vs online won't matter. They are batching production to be higher spec west coast cars first right? You could be first in line somewhere on the east coast to reserve a base model 3, but it won't matter since top end west coast cars will be produced before yours?

it's really tough to say. everyone can (and has been) make guesses based on what has happened with the S and the X. the reality here is that if EM wants this to be Tesla's 1st mass market car, some things WILL have to be done just as they are by other OEM's.

With that being said, I can see a small number of high spec'd models being shipped "locally" as the live beta testers.....but after that, I'd expect it to go by geographical order volume.

A Tesla Model 3 driver is the best advertising EM can get for his new car, and the quicker he gets them out to the early adopters, the more deposits will presumably roll in.

Just to confirm, unless you want the top of the line model 3, (and live on the west coast) reserving in person vs online won't matter. They are batching production to be higher spec west coast cars first right? You could be first in line somewhere on the east coast to reserve a base model 3, but it won't matter since top end west coast cars will be produced before yours?

There's nothing to "confirm" here, as 100% of this post is speculation. Except for one Elon Musk comment about higher optioned M3s being built first, nothing else in this post is accurate or known at this point, especially the preference for "west coast" deliveries.

And "higher optioned" M3s does not necessarily mean "Top of the line".

All of this is more than two years away. Trying to speculate what happens then to decide when and how you wait in line on March 31st is bonkers.

I thought the bill was to allow people from out of state people taking delivery to not pay CA tax in addition to their normal state tax. My understanding is that folks wanting to fly down were double taxed and this is eliminating that problem. If that's wrong and they're just doing away with Tesla sales tax, even if you're registering in an other state then I"m booking my $200 ticket to save $3-4k in sales tax as soon as I get a delivery date!

It is indeed _only_ related to eliminating the payment of CA sales tax for factory pick-up of a car. If the bill were to become law, the Tesla factory could end up with lines like an amusement park.

Where did you get that information from about west coast (USA) customers getting their cars first? I have seen nothing to confirm what you are stating. Please provide your sources.

I just want to say, since I don't need to reserve a Model 3, I will be available to do food runs for those stuck in line (I am still taking off work, wouldn't want to miss this party!). So I signed up with our local Tesla Facebook Group's "EVent" created for the in-store lining/waiting/viewing/ordering :)

I'm with you... I've budgeted to afford the car without the tax credit... But just bring me my dang car, haha.

Sounds like many of us are accounting for the credits to be dried up. I've set up my monthly savings to account for never getting the tax credit.

Tesla is making a point of saying $35k without credits. I always understood that they are assuming the same thing.

Sounds like many of us are accounting for the credits to be dried up. I've set up my monthly savings to account for never getting the tax credit.

Under-promise and over-deliver/delayed gratification, I base my life on these concepts. My financial budget shows me getting smaller paychecks than I actually get, and shows me getting bigger bills than I actually have. My end of year savings always looks good. If I do get the full or partial tax credit, that's great! Maybe I'll buy Solar! But if I get little or no tax credit... Well, I didn't have it written into my budget, so no harm done.

I wish more people would plan this way.

anyone setting up their savings to get the tax credit will be sorely disappointed. you pay full price upon delivery, finance, cash, check, however you desire to pay for the car...will be for full price.

the tax credit comes into play at tax season, if you even get it.

anyone setting up their savings to get the tax credit will be sorely disappointed. you pay full price upon delivery, finance, cash, check, however you desire to pay for the car...will be for full price.

the tax credit comes into play at tax season, if you even get it.

Maybe in the US but here in Ontario we don't have tax dependant rebates tied to manufacturing limits. Model 3 should easily qualify for the full $14K rebate in for the form of a cheque mailed to us directly in about 3-4 weeks. Thei3 gets $13K and it's only limit is 4 seats. 5 seats and you get an extra $1K. Oh and another $1K for installing a charging station so I will also order a HPWC. Helps a lot up here given the low $. Teslas cost almost 30% more north of the 49th. Ouch.

I don't get this, you would still need to pay sales tax in your home state. When you buy out of state you need to re-title in-state to get tags, at which point your state will ask for that sales tax you never paid. And the law is only for purchases by people from out of state.

What California is doing should help increase tourism to their state, but it doesn't save you money on the purchase (beyond the difference in sales tax rates between CA and your home state that is, since your state isn't going to refund you the extra you paid to CA).

Used Car Taxes and Fees for Out-of-State Purchases | DMV.org Articles

Another article about that specific bill (see comments as well): Non-Californian Tesla Buyers Can Buy In California Skip Sales Tax | CleanTechnica

It is indeed _only_ related to eliminating the payment of CA sales tax for factory pick-up of a car. If the bill were to become law, the Tesla factory could end up with lines like an amusement park.