Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservations ($1000 down) will be accepted in Tesla stores....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone setting up their savings to get the tax credit will be sorely disappointed. you pay full price upon delivery, finance, cash, check, however you desire to pay for the car...will be for full price.

the tax credit comes into play at tax season, if you even get it.
I am completely aware I pay the full price up front. I had originally planned to put 20% ish down, and then when the tax credits come just make a large payment that month. I have since decided I can save more up front, make a bigger down payment to keep the monthly payments and interest much much lower, and then if I get the credits, it's just icing on the cake.

What California is doing should help increase tourism to their state, but it doesn't save you money on the purchase (beyond the difference in sales tax rates between CA and your home state that is, since your state isn't going to refund you the extra you paid to CA).

This difference is a fairly large amount of money, and the whole thing people are talking about. California has quite high sales taxes that are generally going to be quite a bit extra from whatever other state you are coming from. That's what stops people from taking delivery in California and what California is trying to eliminate. So it now allows people to pick up at the factory without paying extra money.

Maybe this is common knowledge to those TMC members that frequent their local Tesla Stores like a coffee chain, but: there appears to be a Model 3 email list that Tesla (or individual stores) will be using to send out an announcement "soon" about the Model 3 launch and reservation process.

I was at the Natick Mall today on an errand, so I stopped by the Tesla store to ask about their plans for March 31st. Unsurprisingly, the reps I spoke to said they didn't know anything for certain yet about the reservation process (other than the date and deposit amount). They also thought that the chances of the store hosting a "launch party" or similar event were very slim.

However, one of the reps added that "we will be sending out an email soon" about Model 3 reservations, and asked me if I wanted to add my name to their Model 3 email list. I said yes, she handed me a mobile device that accepted my contact information, and when I submitted it, the number 8 appeared on the screen (which the rep speculated was "the number of people who have already signed up" for the email list in that store).

In hindsight, given that the rep used "we" to refer both to the Natick store and Tesla in general, it is unclear to me whether this Model 3 email will be sent from the Natick store specifically (e.g. with reservation hours and other details specific to that store) or from Tesla generally (e.g. with general reservation information). I thought it was interesting, though, that there was an official interested-in-Model-3 email list at all, given that there is still no Model 3 mailing list to sign up for on teslamotors.com.

All of that said, I will not be surprised at all if I already know the email's most salient details hours (days?) before it lands in my inbox, thanks to my fellow TMC members' relentless pursuit of the truth (or, as some might call it, OCD). :smile:

I am assuming that Tesla corporate will send out a mass email like they do with many events and notices. If they have your email I would think you'll be getting a notice.

Yes, I would certainly presume that corporate would send out a Model 3 email as March 31st approaches. That said, when I pointed out to the store rep that I was already subscribed to Tesla's "Get Updates" email list (for their general events and notices), she said, "No, this email list is different."

Now the scientist in me wants to visit another Tesla store and give a different email address just to see which address(es) receive the email, and whether the emails are any different. (Clearly I need a diversion to help with the wait...)

Yes, I would certainly presume that corporate would send out a Model 3 email as March 31st approaches. That said, when I pointed out to the store rep that I was already subscribed to Tesla's "Get Updates" email list (for their general events and notices), she said, "No, this email list is different."

Now the scientist in me wants to visit another Tesla store and give a different email address just to see which address(es) receive the email, and whether the emails are any different. (Clearly I need a diversion to help with the wait...)

Must need to try a new supercharger location?

Sad that because I'm nearly 3 hours from the closest store and it's on a weekday that there is no way I will be able to make my reservation in store, and will have to wait until the first, pushing me who knows how far down in the line :crying:

I've only been waiting since 2006 for this car.

Well, the idea of restricting the reservation process to only those willing to show up in person (even if only initially) strikes me as a bad idea for a publicity stunt. Tesla is leading the way in changing not only how and what we drive, but also how we buy our cars. They've been fighting the good fight against the dealership model, and making the best use of connectivity, so it seems out of character to do this.

imagine Tesla forcing everyone to bring their cars in to an authorized location to receive a software upgrade, just for the "publicity." It makes no sense.

I'm very pro-Tesla. I made the trip to the 2014 shareholders meeting just to be around people who share my enthusiasm, so I get that desire. What I don't get is making people jump through unnecessary hoops, when the online infrastructure is already well established. Seems asinine to me.

Having the early "beta test" Model 3's being much closer to service center locations is probably very much intentional.

My wife and I probably won't put in an order until mid-2017, maybe even later. It will largely be her commuter, so much will depend on where and when she gets a job once her CPA is finalized. On the other hand, if we manage to get a good price for our "cabin" this Fall ...

When you say "put in an order" do you actually mean "put down a deposit?" Because it is likely Tesla isn't going to be taking actual orders until later than mid-2017, and they almost certainly won't be taking them at that time from people who didn't put a deposit down when they first started accepting deposits.

If you did mean "put down a deposit", why wait until mid-2017? All that's going to do is allow you the use of your $1000 between April 1 and then, but it will mean you probably don't actually get the Model 3 until late 2018 at the earliest. If you put the deposit down March 31 or April 1 you're not under any obligation to place an order, but you'll have the option to do so much sooner.

Yep. Which is why I'm waiting till 4/1 to reserve. I'm likely not ordering a fully loaded one anyway, so I wont be one of the first few thousand to get it, so no need to be a day early...

I guess for me it will depend on what "fully loaded" means. If there's no Ludicrous or Performance level, then AWD/Max range will probably be enough to put me near the beginning of the line. It's just another one of those things we won't know until closer to (or likely well AFTER) the 31st.

I guess for me it will depend on what "fully loaded" means. If there's no Ludicrous or Performance level, then AWD/Max range will probably be enough to put me near the beginning of the line. It's just another one of those things we won't know until closer to (or likely well AFTER) the 31st.

I'll be looking for something similar to my 70D. A 5-second AWD sedan. I don't need the max-performance or max-range options, but I do want the "other" upgrades (AP, leather, pano, etc. or equivalent on the Model 3).

So for me it makes no sense to run to the store to be the first in line if they delay the orders of the smaller batteries until 6-12 months later. If it comes down to upgrade the battery and get the full federal rebate, or don't upgrade and get nothing, I'll obviously upgrade.

I'll be looking for something similar to my 70D. A 5-second AWD sedan. I don't need the max-performance or max-range options, but I do want the "other" upgrades (AP, leather, pano, etc. or equivalent on the Model 3).

So for me it makes no sense to run to the store to be the first in line if they delay the orders of the smaller batteries until 6-12 months later. If it comes down to upgrade the battery and get the full federal rebate, or don't upgrade and get nothing, I'll obviously upgrade.

That's pretty much what I'm in now.... I put the APR chip and intake into my A3, so I'm low-to-mid 5's, just enough to be fun.....

But if I'm getting a Tesla, I already know torque will be there compared to an ICE/Turbo setup. I don't think I need a 4-second car. I'm like you on the upgrade vs. rebate point....if we're running out the clock on the 200,000 number, and it comes down to me adding on a $2,500 upgrade to get a $7,500 rebate, then yea, absolute no-brainer there.

But I will at least be checking all of the "max range" boxes (and AP) whenever the Configurator goes live.

Yep. Which is why I'm waiting till 4/1 to reserve. I'm likely not ordering a fully loaded one anyway, so I wont be one of the first few thousand to get it, so no need to be a day early...

Of course it is, but as you easily can read in the threads here: it works :)

Right, but my main point was that they aren't doing the "in store" reservations to have the first cars off the line be to people who are in closer proximity to the physical stores or service centers. Besides, what if everyone who goes to order "in store" doesn't order a higher-optioned car? They're not going to be the "beta test" cars first off the line, which in-and-of-iteslf is a silly notion that any Production Model 3s sold to the public will be "beta test" cars.