Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 reservations -- How does Tesla handle reservations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every MS owner should get a preferred spot. WE made this happen, so we should get the option lest say for 48 hours or so to reserve first.

Excuse me? How quickly you forgot who made your MS happen. But I don't mind if you get 2nd priority. You definitely should get some kind of priority IMO. As for those who don't think it's fair that any of us should get priority, don't worry there aren't that many Roadster/S/X owners who will be reserving to make that big of a difference. I'd be surprised if it was over 25k existing owners making early 3 reservations. Roadster owners were only a very small part of early (prioritized) S reservations.

I would bet more than 500K reservations before the first delivery

they won't be able to build the model 3 fast enough

That's a huge understatement. I know anecdotal evidence doesn't make a market study, but even if only 1 out of 5 people who tell me they plan to buy a Model 3 actually go through with it, that's still way more than 500k reservations before first delivery. Just my opinion.

Every MS owner should get a preferred spot. WE made this happen, so we should get the option lest say for 48 hours or so to reserve first.
Uh, joer ... really?

When the S came out, Roadster owners (as of a certain date) that made a Signature reservation got put to the front of the Signature queue no matter when they made the reservation (I didn't confirm mine until the last possible moment - July 31 2012, I think it was - but I got Sig #112 in Sept 2012). We also got a discount!

Of course, this only applied if we bought a Signature edition Model S (which was overpriced, though not by as much as the discount). And Tesla's situation is quite different now; I don't expect them to do the same thing. They no longer need customers they trust to go through with their cash-only purchase to go first (or even to just fill out the Sig quota). They no longer need existing customers to take a risk on a car that hadn't been reviewed and most expected to be kinda sucky. While I've talked to many, many Model S owners, I've talked to a LOT more people that are excited to become Tesla owners when the Model S is available.

It would be very nice for Tesla to do something for existing owners, and I hope they do something. But I expect it to be pretty small. Letting existing owners have first crack in some way still might be a good idea - and perhaps the method you suggest is a good one, though people on vacation and such will complain - but in any event, I will bet there is no discount this time!

If you go by how the Model X was rolled out, it's doubtful there will be a 'front of the line' for Roadster, Model S, or Model X owners. If you were lucky enough to be invited to the launch party (which admittedly was pretty much Roadster owners and Model S Sig) AND remembered your checkbook, you could reserve that night, about 12 hours before the online reservation opened. But it had nothing to do with if you already owned a Tesla or not, just if you were present.

I doubt there will be any special recognition for Model 3. Those days appear to be over.

I'd just like to remind all the MS and Roadster owners that think they should get priority for M3 reservations, that for each one of you that gets an early M3, one less person will be able to get the federal tax credit. I hope I can speak for the rest of us that can't afford a MS when I thank you for inciting the EV revolution by purchasing early Tesla models, but this perspective seems to take away from the goal of mass EV adoption. From the outside looking in, it looks selfish.

I'd just like to remind all the MS and Roadster owners that think they should get priority for M3 reservations, that for each one of you that gets an early M3, one less person will be able to get the federal tax credit. I hope I can speak for the rest of us that can't afford a MS when I thank you for inciting the EV revolution by purchasing early Tesla models, but this perspective seems to take away from the goal of mass EV adoption. From the outside looking in, it looks selfish.

There probably won't be any left by the time the Model 3 launches anyway. If it weren't for Roadster owners especially and Model S owners there wouldn't be a Tesla so there's that. There are simply too many Model S owners to give them all priority so don't see that happening anyway.

I think this is a pretty terrible point of view actually. First, as dsm363 mentioned, there likely won't be any federal credit left when the Model 3 launches. Second, if the adoption is going to be dependent on any form of tax credit then it is doomed to fail.

I completely agree with you.

How's about a big PR thing: a big raffle, not for the actual first 1000 cars, but for the right to buy one of the first 1000. Imagine several hundred thousand people "putting their name in the hat". Sooo much free advertising.

Not classy enough perhaps?

Kinda like Charlie and the chocolate factory and the golden tickets. :)

I think this is a pretty terrible point of view actually. First, as dsm363 mentioned, there likely won't be any federal credit left when the Model 3 launches. Second, if the adoption is going to be dependent on any form of tax credit then it is doomed to fail.

Believe it or not, I actually agree with you. If there in fact aren't any credits left by then, then the point is moot. But if there are, then IMO those that would otherwise not buy a M3 would be best served by taking advantage of the credit. Unfortunately, there's no practical way of discerning which customers need the credit the most. But more or less guaranteeing them to Model S and Roadster owners is clearly not going in the right direction.

Believe it or not, I actually agree with you. If there in fact aren't any credits left by then, then the point is moot. But if there are, then IMO those that would otherwise not buy a M3 would be best served by taking advantage of the credit. Unfortunately, there's no practical way of discerning which customers need the credit the most. But more or less guaranteeing them to Model S and Roadster owners is clearly not going in the right direction.

The credits are not there for the buyers, but for the manufacturer and for society as a whole: get the cars out there by making them more attractive price wise. Those with less buying power will own these cars second or third hand.

Addition: I've noticed that some states are capping the price at a level that may or may not include the Model 3 price range. This is of course fine, and a political decision that goes to help those with lower income.

Last edited:
There probably won't be any left by the time the Model 3 launches anyway...
The tax credit phases out for a year and a quarter after Tesla USA sales hit 200k. My guess is that Tesla USA sales won't hit 200k five quarters before the Model 3 launches. If so, the first cars should be eligible for some of the tax credit.
The new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.
Internal Revenue Bulletin - November 30, 2009 - Notice 2009-89

My take on this:

Q0 USA sales hit 200k
Q1 Full credit available, $7500
Q2 50% credit available, $3750
Q3 50% credit available, $3750
Q4 25% credit available, $1875
Q5 25% credit available, $1875
Q6 no credit available

Even $1875 is worth something to some of us on the lower half of the income scale thinking about buying the "affordable" Model 3. Since I can't qualify for anywhere close to the full credit, getting a reduced credit during the phase-out period is still attractive, especially when added to the generous state tax credit here.

My hunch is that as Nissan, GM & Tesla close in on 200k plugins, there will be some pressure to make the tax credits better. It is terrible as it is designed - these 3 will be punished for putting out their plugins early.
I don't believe for a minute that a change or extension of tax credits could get through Congress. Just can't see it happening.