TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 reservations -- How does Tesla handle reservations?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by swanny, Jul 5, 2015.

1. swanny

swanny New Member

All,

So I'm figuring that reservations will open up sometime next year ( when they show the 3 off to the public ) anyways I would probably put a reservation in when it opens. However, if by the time the ordering opens up for the 3 can I change my mind and apply that towards a different car? ( For me I would consider a CPO S or a model 3 purchase )

Thanks,

Brian

2. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I'm sure you could, or cancel all together for a refund. I had an X deposit and used it towards my S.

3. tga

tga Active Member

I suspect it will be fully refundable (my X deposit is). I wouldn't have put down a deposit on the X if it wasn't. I was willing to risk the opportunity cost on the $5k deposit to lock in my position should the order queue double in size after the X reveal (if it is that awesome), and (to a lesser extent) bragging rights.

Once the X is revealed, I'll decide if I want one, or if I'll get my deposit back, buy a CPO S, and wait for the Model 3.

4. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Horror of Horrors: What if there is no Reservation process for Model ≡ at all? No Founders... No Signatures... No advance positioning whatsoever. Strictly first come, first served, with the Design Studio opening for Orders in late Spring 2017?

That would certainly ruin my plans.

5. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I'm certainly going to try to get into the queue as quickly as I can, but if I miss the boat, I'm hoping there will be sufficient production that I'll be able to get one a few months later.

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I suspect the mother of all reservation queues when the Model 3 goes on sale. I'm going to tell everyone I know to jump on the website the moment it goes live.

7. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I guarantee that we'll all end up crashing the site in a matter of minutes :)

If I can pull it off, I'm planning on making two reservations: one for a Signature (if Tesla does offer that line for the 3) and one for General Production. Will cancel the Signature if there's a "Sig tax" a la the Model S once the options are revealed.

A place early in the line may be doubly important for the 3 if one wants to get the full $7,500 federal tax credit in the U.S.; Tesla would be coming up quickly on the 200,000 car mark (US cars alone count) by the time the 3 enters production.

8. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Absolutely. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there are 100,000 reservations in 24 hours. It would probably be wise to buy TSLA around mid February 2016 in anticipation of this.

9. MSEV

MSEV Member

That might be quite a fun day: getting (hopefully) an early/low number for a Model 3 and seeing the roof go off the stock because it will finally become real to a much larger segment of the population that EVs (by Tesla) are real and better than other cars (at least to many).

10. EvilNuff

EvilNuff Member

I am supremely curious as to how many reservations will be made on the first day, week, month, and at release time of the Model 3.

11. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I obviously can't predict the future, but I've been saying 250,000 reservations before the first delivery. There are a huge number of Tesla fans that desperately want a Tesla, but can't afford a Model S, but can afford $35,000.

Day - 100,000
    Week - 150,000
    Year - 250,000

12. the dude

the dude Member

I would bet more than 500K reservations before the first delivery

they won't be able to build the model 3 fast enough

13. mwulff

mwulff Member

If I look at our circle of friends (doctors, engineers and it guys) it's clear that they are all holding their breaths for the Model 3. Almost nobody here can afford a Model S, but the model 3 takes it from "completely unrealistic" to "within the realm of possibilities" for most of them.

I suspect I know 10 people who will reserve instantly when EU reservations open up.

14. Newb

Newb Member

this. +1 (but it might take 2-3 days until we reach 100,000 reservations, since the system will break down every now and then, for sure.)

15. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

#15 mkjayakumar, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    What would it take to get a single digit reservation?

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Get an invite somehow to the Model 3 reveal event next March and don't bother to look at the reveal itself; queue up where they'll take reservations right after the reveal.

This was @bonnie's MO for the X.

17. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I generally agree although I think it will take a little longer to obtain the milestones you listed. What will be fascinating to see is how many purchase a Model 3 for under $40k. It will most likely be a very small percentage of total sales and will be a short lived memory. I don't think $35k is really the key to success. Getting a reasonably optioned Model S for less than $45k will still result in a huge demand.

18. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Number of reservations will depend on the deposit amount. If it is $1K or so, there may be up to 100k reservations before delivery.

19. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Exactly. If the do it like power wall then easily 100k in a day

20. joer00

joer00 Member

Every MS owner should get a preferred spot. WE made this happen, so we should get the option lest say for 48 hours or so to reserve first.