Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wallets out, its back in stock!!!

Ordered mine at 1:30 PST... hoping for a delivery before New Year's (hahahahaha!)

upload_2018-12-19_13-33-7.png

Thanks EVnut. By concern is that the Yakima clips retract the foam liner enough to let water trickle is i it rains. I think I’ll wait for the OEM racks when they’re back in stock.
There are many reasons why I won't use clips to mount racks on any car.... ever. But the worry about water actually going up hill and over the top of the glass is pretty low on my list. Yes, it is possible for water to get in, but the wind would sure have to be blowing something awful for it to happen. Generally, rain will not get anywhere near that gasket.

But again... plenty of other reasons to avoid racks with clips!

IT IS SHIPPING!!! Oh man I'm so excited!! I've take the car nordic skiing and downhill skiing, both for the day and for weekend road trips several times since taking delivery in early December, and boy am I looking forward to having my ski box back again. Doing this all winter would suck - I feel for those folks who bought the car late 2017 and haven't had a rack this whole time.

The good news out of this is that I can report that you can successfully take a family of 4 (with two kids less than about 12, ie before growth spurt) with any of the following "sticks" plus the accompanying gear (use a ski bag though!) easily on day trips (very cramped on an over-nighter):
- four snowboards
- four DH skis & poles
- any combination of the above
- probably up to a dozen nordic skis up to 195 cm long (you can take longer, but the front passenger needs to move their seat forward, which they might complain about :p - I brought my 205 cm classics)

upload_2018-12-24_10-3-21.png

Delivery estimated January 2!

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-24_10-4-0.png
    upload_2018-12-24_10-4-0.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 59
IT IS SHIPPING!!! Oh man I'm so excited!! I've take the car nordic skiing and downhill skiing, both for the day and for weekend road trips several times since taking delivery in early December, and boy am I looking forward to having my ski box back again. Doing this all winter would suck - I feel for those folks who bought the car late 2017 and haven't had a rack this whole time.

The good news out of this is that I can report that you can successfully take a family of 4 (with two kids less than about 12, ie before growth spurt) with any of the following "sticks" plus the accompanying gear (use a ski bag though!) easily on day trips (very cramped on an over-nighter):
- four snowboards
- four DH skis & poles
- any combination of the above
- probably up to a dozen nordic skis up to 195 cm long (you can take longer, but the front passenger needs to move their seat forward, which they might complain about :p - I brought my 205 cm classics)

View attachment 363633

Delivery estimated January 2!

Same here mine shipped getting here 12/26

Reactions: KootsChewt
Just looked at the pictures of the rack again as it relates to installation position - gotta say I'm a bit concerned about how far forward the racks are on the car, and the fact that from the photos it looks "slanted" towards the front. Might make having a ski box on the car look a bit ridiculous sticking far to the front and impact aero (not to mention perhaps negate a canoe entirely)... anyone else have similar thoughts when viewing, or am I getting paranoid?

Just looked at the pictures of the rack again as it relates to installation position - gotta say I'm a bit concerned about how far forward the racks are on the car, and the fact that from the photos it looks "slanted" towards the front. Might make having a ski box on the car look a bit ridiculous sticking far to the front and impact aero (not to mention perhaps negate a canoe entirely)... anyone else have similar thoughts when viewing, or am I getting paranoid?

Dont think anyone is getting a roof rack to make it look better ;)

How difficult? Seems pretty easy looking at the instructions

I've just posted a thread with full details Installing the official Tesla model 3 roof rack
but the tl:dr; is that on my car with the fit and finish on my car... some of the installation steps were just about impossible without a lot of force and my own tools. If only it were as easy as the instructions suggested.

Reactions: NeverFollow