Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@KootsChewt
Congrats! If it is not too much trouble, I'd love to see a picture after you finish Step 7 of the Owner's Manual – i.e, after the clips and pads are installed, but before the crossbars are installed. Curious to see what the warts look like if I were to buy this kit and leave the clips on permanently. Thank you.

That won't work as there would be nothing holding the clips on.

You can review the manual to see why: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/model-3-roof-rack-owners-manual-en-us.pdf

Once installed can you measure the usable width of the bars?
Wondering if a my cargo box and my ski rack could fit together on the bars
but doubt it will be wide enough for a canoe and kayak. Thanks!
It's basically the size of the glass panel above the driver.
So the distance between the two bars will be 28 inches.
And the distance between the two towers will be 50 inch at the front and 46 inches at the back.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax and outdoors
Looking closely to the Model 3 roof, I would apprehend putting anything in contact with the glass roof.

I can't wait for the future Model Y which will be more versatile than the Model 3.

...snip

Just wanted to post back and note that the Tesla rack DOES NOT contact the glass at all. There is a few mm gap. All of the weight is bearing on the high-strength steel in the metal roof. Cheers.

>> NeverFollow said:
>>Looking closely to the Model 3 roof, I would apprehend putting anything in contact with the glass roof.

Just wanted to post back and note that the Tesla rack DOES NOT contact the glass at all.
There is a few mm gap. All of the weight is bearing on the high-strength steel in the metal roof. Cheers.
This was in reference to the posting from EV33 using SeaSucker Monkey Bars Roof Rack (298-SX6000)

Note: I had a bad experience previously, see this posting...

SeaSucker Monkey Bars Roof Rack  (298-SX6000)  .png

I used sea suckers .. worked perfect 80mph on hwy

873d3091-f44f-4f9d-865b-0cb3d2549a52-jpeg.352127

Last edited:
This was in reference to the posting from EV33 using SeaSucker Monkey Bars Roof Rack (298-SX6000)

Note: I had a bad experience previously, see this posting...

Sorry! I didn't follow the thread back far enough. I agree with you 100% on those SeaSucker mounts.

Anyways, I do think it is an important point to make about the Tesla rack, as I've had a number of people question me about it elsewhere. :)

Reactions: NeverFollow
I had RackNRoad in Sacramento install a roof rack. They riveted mounting pads onto the metal roof rails. Works great for Bikes and kayaks.

View attachment 292928 View attachment 292929

Hey There,

We are coming up to almost 2 years since you posted it. Could you give me your thoughts on the rack after 2 years? Any issues with water leaking due to the rivets or anything else. Any rust? How about wind noise with just the whisper-bar on there? Do you usually keep them on when not in use or do you take them off? If you had the chance to do it all over again would you change anything, or go for the OEM tesla roof racks.

I am looking at roof racks. What I like with this solution over the OEM is that you are easily able to remove the rack and maintain the nice clean look.

Reactions: cstork
Hey There,

We are coming up to almost 2 years since you posted it. Could you give me your thoughts on the rack after 2 years? Any issues with water leaking due to the rivets or anything else. Any rust? How about wind noise with just the whisper-bar on there? Do you usually keep them on when not in use or do you take them off? If you had the chance to do it all over again would you change anything, or go for the OEM tesla roof racks.

I am looking at roof racks. What I like with this solution over the OEM is that you are easily able to remove the rack and maintain the nice clean look.

@UrsS for the above post

Model 3 Hidden Trailer Hitch. 2 options. 1.Towing or 2. just hitch hauler/bike rack type

Tesla Model 3 (2017-Present)

Conversion Package - Tesla Model 3 (2017 - Present)

You could put a bicycle trailer hitch rack on rear of car instead. Also you could put a small hitch-hauler carrier for ice chest, luggage etc. . . on it too. Will not work for kayaks etc... but might be enough for many people.

Has any tried this hidden trailer hitch on their Model 3?

• Informative
Model 3 Hidden Trailer Hitch. 2 options. 1.Towing or 2. just hitch hauler/bike rack type

Tesla Model 3 (2017-Present)

Conversion Package - Tesla Model 3 (2017 - Present)

Has any tried this hidden trailer hitch on their Model 3?
I get so confused. Because this and the EcoHitch both use "stealth" in their names, and because they first appear almost identical.... Until you posted this and I looked three times... I didn't realize this was a different product. I wonder if it has quality advantages that warrant the 25% higher price.

• Informative
I get so confused. Because this and the EcoHitch both use "stealth" in their names, and because they first appear almost identical.... Until you posted this and I looked three times... I didn't realize this was a different product. I wonder if it has quality advantages that warrant the 25% higher price.
The difference I see is the Stealth Hitches product has nothing visible when you remove the receiver. This appears to be very easy to do.