Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered mine on Wednesday and got a shipping notification the same day. Aaaand it's sold out again on the store.

Out of curiosity, what bike racks have people been putting on these? after dropping $500 on the bars, I'm a little loathe to spend $160 apiece for two Yakimas or Thule racks...

I received and installed the rack 8 weeks ago. 4 weeks ago Tesla sent me replacement metal hooks that attach to the track. It would have been a plain to replace them, so I didn't. Yesterday, one of the old metal hooks snapped. So, replace your hooks!

Reactions: Jaywlker
So what do we think? No better option than the Tesla? I am so close to ordering. I have met individuals who did the screw in kind, and I really don't wanna do that. I have shopped and not seen anything cheaper. Suction cups are gonna pull out my glass. It really seems like the OEM is the only great option.

-Randy

IMG_2666.jpg

Seasucker Board Rack with standup paddleboard

If it’s of any interest to anyone I have the Tesla rack and Thule 598 bike racks on mine.

I did have to remove the OEM insert and use a standard insert from my local roof rack shop for the Thule system but it is just as quiet afaik.

I think the bars are designed around the Yakima wrap around or the Whispbar twist system but with a different silencer insert all the racks should fit.

Attachments

• E42DDB7A-D5E6-46A4-860B-63D964C02590.jpeg
    E42DDB7A-D5E6-46A4-860B-63D964C02590.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 9D11EFC5-9A5C-4990-929B-A1ECF9C58AEF.jpeg
    9D11EFC5-9A5C-4990-929B-A1ECF9C58AEF.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 105
Sorry to drag up an old reply, just wondering how your skybox has gone since you got it. How is the wind noise and range impact?

DavidAU, the SkyBox 18 Carbonite is different, but in case you're interested...

I selected it for a good combo of: small front cross section for better aero performance, long and adequate storage, and its weight (leaving more net weight capacity for cargo inside). There is a bit more wind noise with it mounted, but since the cargo rack already adds some noise the difference really isn't that big. I haven't measured the range hit, but it's really not too bad considering the box's capacity. It's been great for camping and ski trips! The other thing I like is that it's narrow enough that I could have both a bike and the cargo box mounted side-by-side if needed. However, the box is centered on my racks in this picture:

Yakima Carbonite 18.jpg

DavidAU, the SkyBox 18 Carbonite is different, but in case you're interested...

I selected it for a good combo of: small front cross section for better aero performance, long and adequate storage, and its weight (leaving more net weight capacity for cargo inside). There is a bit more wind noise with it mounted, but since the cargo rack already adds some noise the difference really isn't that big. I haven't measured the range hit, but it's really not too bad considering the box's capacity. It's been great for camping and ski trips! The other thing I like is that it's narrow enough that I could have both a bike and the cargo box mounted side-by-side if needed. However, the box is centered on my racks in this picture:

View attachment 695893
Thanks mate, good info. Was thinking about the Skybox Lo version, same weight as the 18, but lower profile so less drag in theory... so I'm not sure?

Just got the notification that my roof racks are on the way. Glad they were actually in stock. Need to have it purchased and fitted for a long drive at the end of the month. (~1500km)