Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 roof rack Tesla vs Taptes? what cargo box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

molikop

Feb 14, 2020
USA
Hello Everyone, I have had my model 3 for 6 months no and I want to get a roof rack to carry my bike and to put a cargo box on it. I have two questions but before I asked them, Thank you very much for your answers.

Question 1. I know about the Tesla branded roof rack but also found the Taptes one (Roof Rack for Tesla Model 3) which is a lot cheaper and looks a lot simpler to put on and take off. I'm not planning on leaving the rack on all the time. I have pretty much discarded the seasucker option as it is as expensive as the Tesla branded roof rack and I'm worried about the glass. Anyone has any experience with Taptes?

Question 2. What should be the larges cargo box that I should put on the roof? is 89" too long? I have been looking at Thule and Yakima cargo boxes.

Can't comment on the Taptes. I've been happy with my Tesla branded one and when I lost a cap their support was fantastic. I don't take the rails off ever even though I had planned to.

I run a skybox 21 which is 92". I only use the box when I need to (2 weeks this year). It fits nice, big but not awkwardly.

I’m so curious about people’s experience with Testas roof rack and whether it excepts the same Yakima rail track hardware that the tesla/Yakima rack does? Everything else in the Insta video looks almost identical to the Tesla install video. Although I don’t see the locking hardware.

I would worry a lot about the brace attached to the chrome molding above the door window.

Roof_Rack_for_Tesla_Model_3_5.jpg

This chrome molding has a shape of an L upside down, but the vertical part of the molding is one inch away from the body of the car.

17-19-Tesla-Model-3-Upper-Roof-Molding-Trim-_57.jpg

This brace will have to handle all the force from the front wind and car speed.

But the chrome molding will certainly warp and get twisted and the brace will be loose.

TAPTES_Roof_Rack_for_Tesla_Model_3..jpg

If you really want to put a brace, this brace should be installed under the chrome molding.

Roof_Rack_for_Tesla_Model_3_8.jpg

1. You should remove first the chrome molding.

2. Install the brace and attach it to the base of the rack.

3. Put back the chrome molding.

Look at you car, you will immediately understand the problem.

Also the front tower should be much more taller than the rear one to have an horizontal rack.

And, honestly, it's pretty ugly for a car with such a beautiful shape. IMO.

See the following video at 2:00 for a better view of the chrome molding removal.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Question 2. What should be the larges cargo box that I should put on the roof?
is 89" too long? I have been looking at Thule and Yakima cargo boxes.

This roof rack is not safe, don't even think installing a cargo box. See the following TMC thread:

Car flex and losing a roof rack with bikes?

Yesterday morning before hitting the road with the family for a biking trip,

I pulled into a parking lot with a large hump.
I went slowly, but still scraped the bottom of the car.
I have coil suspension, which I love, except for the occasional scrape.

Anyway, I heard two loud pops from the roof.
I got out and checked and didn’t notice any of the bikes were loose and everything seemed ok.

Later at 45 mph, the entire rack system with all 4 bikes slid off the back!

Luckily, no one was behind me and no one got hurt.

There’s some decent damage to the car and the rack and bike front loaders are toast.
The rack and front-loafers were intact and the whole system came off as one giant unit.

Upon inspection, two mounts on the roof of the car are stripped - that must’ve been the pooping noise
I heard when the car flexed over the hump. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I’ll probably move on to a hitch system like 1up for the peace of mind.
Y’all be careful out there!​

87b2b4e2-471d-40a4-b9ec-97240977ef97-jpeg.398033

Last edited:
Yeah, their new roof rack looks almost identical to the Tesla one but almost $200 cheaper.
Very tempted to try it out.

I need to carry 4 bikes and afraid to put 4 on a bike carrier with a hitch.
I was going to put 3 on the bike carrier and 1 on the roof rack.

I already have a Seasucker suction bike carrier but afraid to put it on the model 3 now. lol
TAPTESTeslaModel3RoofRack_2.jpg

I use a Seasucker Talon (single bike) when it’s just me and my road bike however I just installed the OEM Tesla roof rack bars earlier this week as the whole family is participating in a charity ride this weekend and I need to carry multiple bikes. The installation was easy (I did use a torque wrench and photo-documented every step in case of glass breakage). The rack is really nice—I’ve had a roof rack on every car I’ve ever owned and this is clearly the nicest mainly because it is specific to the Model 3 (not a kit of parts) so its clean, simple, requires no settings/adjustments and doesn’t make a peep on the road. I haven’t loaded it up yet but I’m happy thus far. Before installation, I was very wary of all the glass-breakage horror stories so I took my time without issue. Definitely use a torque wrench to ensure proper fitment without over-tightening.

971493D8-576F-4EFC-B682-993F43A7A7BC.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
I use a Seasucker Talon (single bike) when it’s just me and my road bike however I just installed the OEM Tesla roof rack bars earlier this week as the whole family is participating in a charity ride this weekend and I need to carry multiple bikes. The installation was easy (I did use a torque wrench and photo-documented every step in case of glass breakage). The rack is really nice—I’ve had a roof rack on every car I’ve ever owned and this is clearly the nicest mainly because it is specific to the Model 3 (not a kit of parts) so its clean, simple, requires no settings/adjustments and doesn’t make a peep on the road. I haven’t loaded it up yet but I’m happy thus far. Before installation, I was very wary of all the glass-breakage horror stories so I took my time without issue. Definitely use a torque wrench to ensure proper fitment without over-tightening.

View attachment 556249

Is this the Tates rack? How is it working out for you? I'm considering getting one for a road trip this month

Is this the Tates rack? How is it working out for you? I'm considering getting one for a road trip this month

Pictured is the OEM rack. I like the idea of photo documenting the install. I didn't have any issues with mine, and did also use a torque wrench.

With the Taptes rack it is all on you.

Edit: On second thought. With all racks it is all on you.

Can't comment on the Taptes. I've been happy with my Tesla branded one and when I lost a cap their support was fantastic. I don't take the rails off ever even though I had planned to.

I run a skybox 21 which is 92". I only use the box when I need to (2 weeks this year). It fits nice, big but not awkwardly.

can you share who you talked to for the cover? I broke another part of my OEM rack and Tesla is telling me they can only replace the entire rack system for $450 - no components

Yeah, their new roof rack looks almost identical to the Tesla one but almost $200 cheaper.
Very tempted to try it out.

I need to carry 4 bikes and afraid to put 4 on a bike carrier with a hitch.
I was going to put 3 on the bike carrier and 1 on the roof rack.

I already have a Seasucker suction bike carrier but afraid to put it on the model 3 now. lol
TAPTESTeslaModel3RoofRack_2.jpg

I had it, it comes without ppf and locks, and there's no way to add locks. Other wise it was fine, the crossbars kind of had a bend to them and I had to level my bike holders with spacers.

20201005_055115.jpg

This roof rack is not safe, don't even think installing a cargo box. See the following TMC thread:
That's a model S, pretty sure it's not the same roof rack.

Manual says 2.5 - 3.5Nm, you've got it set too high.
As one who had his roof cracked I highly suggest you loosen them. The old one says 5-6Nm, but they reduced it because it turned out 5-6 was too much.

Hello Everyone, I have had my model 3 for 6 months no and I want to get a roof rack to carry my bike and to put a cargo box on it. I have two questions but before I asked them, Thank you very much for your answers.

Question 1. I know about the Tesla branded roof rack but also found the Taptes one (Roof Rack for Tesla Model 3) which is a lot cheaper and looks a lot simpler to put on and take off. I'm not planning on leaving the rack on all the time. I have pretty much discarded the seasucker option as it is as expensive as the Tesla branded roof rack and I'm worried about the glass. Anyone has any experience with Taptes?

Question 2. What should be the larges cargo box that I should put on the roof? is 89" too long? I have been looking at Thule and Yakima cargo boxes.
1) Go original, are you gonna risk damaging a 50k car by saving 300 on unoriginal parts?
2) I use the Thule Flow (ski box). Doesn't impact the range too much, and is stiff so it doesn't dance on top of the roof like cheaper boxes do. Max weight is 150lbs for the roof rack, so be careful.

Reactions: Biscuitman
That's a model S, pretty sure it's not the same roof rack.

Manual says 2.5 - 3.5Nm, you've got it set too high.
As one who had his roof cracked I highly suggest you loosen them. The old one says 5-6Nm, but they reduced it because it turned out 5-6 was too much.

1) Go original, are you gonna risk damaging a 50k car by saving 300 on unoriginal parts?
2) I use the Thule Flow (ski box). Doesn't impact the range too much, and is stiff so it doesn't dance on top of the roof like cheaper boxes do. Max weight is 150lbs for the roof rack, so be careful.
Good information. I have the OEM bars and completely agree.Looking for cargo box.
The Thule Flow is discontinued in Canada. How old is yours? I believe the replacement is the Motion XT Alpine?
How many pairs of skis can you fit in your Thule?
Thanks.

Good information. I have the OEM bars and completely agree.Looking for cargo box.
The Thule Flow is discontinued in Canada. How old is yours? I believe the replacement is the Motion XT Alpine?
How many pairs of skis can you fit in your Thule?
Thanks.
No idea. I have a travel bed for our daughter, a snow sled, a stroller, and shoes for ages.

In the summer we bring a portable bbq, stroller and travel bed. The TM3 we have on order I ordered with a tow hitch, so we can have a travel box or bike rack in addition.
We get over 300km in a single charge with that Thule Flow, mixed driving with large parts doing 90-110km/h.

No idea. I have a travel bed for our daughter, a snow sled, a stroller, and shoes for ages.

In the summer we bring a portable bbq, stroller and travel bed. The TM3 we have on order I ordered with a tow hitch, so we can have a travel box or bike rack in addition.
We get over 300km in a single charge with that Thule Flow, mixed driving with large parts doing 90-110km/h.
Wow that is putting it to good use.
I have the eco stealth hitch on mine and it works very well with my 1up USA triple bike rack. No effect on the range that I have noticed.

Reactions: Marius A