Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD 2022 Efficiency - Canberra to Sydney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many thanks for this info Hravani, @Vostok, @Punchbuggy @Maximillan @cafz and all 👍

As a recent M3 RWD owner (couple of weeks), I am watching Battery %, trying to get a feel for efficiency and general range.

In short, it seems inefficient and inconsistent ie: generally uses more than I expected, but it could just be me.
Don’t get me wrong, I am enjoying the car - I am just trying to learn, and I know I should stop comparing usage to an ICE fuel tank gauge.
I appreciate there is likely some drain while going nowhere too.

It has all been urban driving since delivery and yes, I haven't been 'gentle' all the time, and I do use aircon most trips.

However, here are some stats:

Eg 1
Start 96% Odo: 502Km
End 78% Odo: 572Km
Battery decline = 18%
Distance travelled = 70km
Estimated Battery Range = 70/18 = 3.88 (km per %) x 100 = 388 KM

Eg 2
Start 98% Odo: 572km
End 83% Odo: 627km
Battery decline = 15%
Distance travelled = 55km
Estimated Battery Range = 55/15 = 3.6667 (km per %) x 100 = 366 KM

Does this seem correct/my calcs logical? If there is a better AU thread on this etc, would appreciate any guidance. Cheers.

"Use the statistics, Luke"

You will get much better information by using the "Energy" app. It's on the bottom of the screen. It has a little icon that looks like a line graph.

It will tell you what each subsystem (driving, climate, elevation) consumed. It will also give Wh/km (the EV equivalent of the ICE l/100 km) which is the real figure for efficiency.

It also offers tips, based on your actual data, of what you can do to improve things.

Many thanks for this info Hravani, @Vostok, @Punchbuggy @Maximillan @cafz and all 👍

As a recent M3 RWD owner (couple of weeks), I am watching Battery %, trying to get a feel for efficiency and general range.
Further to Donmac's point, are these two examples that you shared in one single trip or was the car parked for an extended period of time in between those kms driven?

Asking for a friend who's been dealing with a vampire drain issue, losing 3-4% overnight despite Sentry mode being off at home. ;)

Regarding vampire drain. My 2001 LR has improved significantly in the past 17 months since I bought it. Was originally about 1% per day (unlocked, asleep, no sentry). Now it is about 1 to 2% per week as long as I do not wake it up. These improvements have happened with several of the new software updates. One significant change with my car is that it used to wake up every 20-24hrs and do update checking. This no longer seems to happen and has undoubtedly been part of the improvement. Sentry is also now a little more frugal.

3 to 4% over night sounds very drastic. Sounds as if the car is not going to sleep or there is a fault (e.g with the 12V battery).

My Zoe, if locked, loses 1% every 6 weeks. However, when it had a defective (4 year old) 12V battery, it lost 1-2% per day.

Regarding Sydney/Canberra. I do the trip very regularly from the Northern Beaches (zero altitude and a longer distance than CBD. I reliably use 56% SOC from Canberra to Sydney and 72-78% Sydney to Canberra. Freezing weather in Canberra has not had much impact with wind and heavy rain having the most influence. I gave up removing the roof bars many trips ago. Can't hear them and cannot detect the efficiency difference.

Long term efficiency is 151 WHrs/km which is nearly all driving outside Sydney other than getting through the suburbs.

Last edited:
Further to Donmac's point, are these two examples that you shared in one single trip or was the car parked for an extended period of time in between those kms driven?
Good Q @Maximillan - for simplicity, these are a couple of tracked summaries, and there would have been some short and medium drives & stays in my driveway over a day or two.

Interestingly I did not drive between Sat PM and Tue AM this week (say 2.5 days) and I lost 2% for 0 Km (Sentry off at home) - I guess that is reasonable considering the self-cooling, connected etc?

In terms of real data, the Trip stats show me a cumulative average of 162 Wh/Km since delivery - so I suppose the question I have is what is fair and reasonable for round town? Per Energy app my most recent trip up the road for 2km was 266 Wh/Km, so clearly there is no straight answer (depends how much you put the foot down, AC use etc), it's all over the shop and I am learning.

Since my last charge to 100%, I have used 18% of battery for 57km of driving. It shows I have 359km/82% left, so that would give me a good range of 416km (57+359). But I still don't get the maths of 57/18% = 3.16 km per %, which would calculate to a 316km range if I keep driving like I have been since charge? Even if I adjust for the driveway drain it would be 57/16% = 3.56 = 356Km?

Last edited:
Per Energy app my most recent trip up the road for 2km was 266 Wh/Km, so clearly there is no straight answer (depends how much you put the foot down, AC use etc), it's all over the shop and I am learning.
Lots of little 2km drives will use a lot more, as you can see by that number. I don't know exactly what all the overheads are - AC use will generally be high for the first part of a drive, there's a battery cool-down cycle afterwards, but there's obviously more to it (part of it might be that a non-trivial amount of energy needs to be stored in the magnetic fields when the motor windings are energised).

I have managed 8900 km in the 360 days of ownership. (M3SR+ in CBR). After about 3 months, I believe I was getting useful indicative information, but the relatively recent improvements to the energy app have made things more obvious.

Initially, you will probably accelerate more quickly than you need to (because even an M3SR+ has some go...). Acceleration, due to the weight of the car, is a big user of energy.

Note that using navigation (my car is configured for automatic navigation to work and home. I guess I like it giving me directions home even before closing the driver's door! 😀) gives predicted versus actual stats, which can also be informative. (Yeah, I don't need directions to/from work, but it adds to the information available...)

Lifetime average is currently 146. That includes weekend trips to the Hunter Valley with 4 pax, as well as various weekend trips to Sydney with 2 pax. Medium and Long distance driving is "engage Autopilot at indicated speed limit".
Car is almost always parked in shade.

Reactions: BegaPride