Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 rwd now charging at 48 amps [after HV battery replacement]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy, why did you need a new battery? Your car is only a few years old. I have the original LR RWD so mine always charged at 48 amps, on mine that shows as 45 MPH charge rate, if you have my battery now too you are probably the same, if you don't have the 300+ mile range battery even more confusing but I am curious what your rate shows as in MPH

It’s not actually the battery that matters - it’s the onboard AC-DC charger.
The onboard charger is what matters, but the battery pack and the penthouse (along with the charger and other high voltage components) come as one unit. So if Tesla messed up on assembling the replacement pack, or if they ran out of the 32A charger module, they installed a 48A charger module. That was good luck for the OP.

Crazy, why did you need a new battery? Your car is only a few years old. I have the original LR RWD so mine always charged at 48 amps, on mine that shows as 45 MPH charge rate, if you have my battery now too you are probably the same, if you don't have the 300+ mile range battery even more confusing but I am curious what your rate shows as in MPH
My car was unable to charge so Tesla said I had an internal fault and needed a new battery.. I have about 75000 miles

Wow! 75K so you are likely under warranty, yes? I haven't heard of people with TM3s getting new batteries yet, but I am sure I will hear a lot about it in the future, I am well outta warranty at this point so I am not looking forward to this day, and crossing my fingers it never happens, although I just watched @Big Earl get a new drive unit in his newer car for $3.2k

Wow! 75K so you are likely under warranty, yes? I haven't heard of people with TM3s getting new batteries yet, but I am sure I will hear a lot about it in the future, I am well outta warranty at this point so I am not looking forward to this day, and crossing my fingers it never happens, although I just watched @Big Earl get a new drive unit in his newer car for $3.2k
Yes under warranty it didn't cost me a dime they replaced it with a remanufactured battery and I hope it never happens to you as well because I've heard it could cost up to 15k for a new hv battery

you can go to your local dump and they will weigh you in and out, ask for the print out to do the math

lucky you, warranty replacement and upgrade to faster charging, but be careful if you have LFPs as it might not be best at 48 amps, I dont know

you can go to your local dump and they will weigh you in and out, ask for the print out to do the math

lucky you, warranty replacement and upgrade to faster charging, but be careful if you have LFPs as it might not be best at 48 amps, I dont know
OP has a 2019 SR+, so it does not have an LFP battery pack. Those weren't imported to the US until September 2021. Even so, I doubt the 48 amp level 2 charging would affect the LFP battery packs compared to the standard 32 amp charging.