Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD vs Model 3 LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The title of the thread was supposed to be RWD vs LR, but the perils of posting from a phone with autocorrect… We have a 2023 MYLR and are planning to replace our 2015 Leaf with a M3 when the new version drops in a few months. We’re debating between the RWD and the LR, but heavily leaning RWD. I’m just looking for a gut check and help determining if I am missing anything. My wife drives more and will likely have the Y as her primary vehicle but neither of us drive so much on our daily commute that we would exceed the range of the M3RWD. 80% of the time my daily commute is <25 miles and occasionally brushes up against or slightly exceeds my Leaf’s 64 mile range. My commute is usually city streets with weekend stents on the freeway. I don’t think there is any question that my needs would be well suited by the RWD, but since they are only ~$7k different now, the LR might be more fun to drive. Is there a big difference in driving experience? Is there a down side to the LFP battery?

Thanks!

Reactions: cdub and GSP
The only major difference is the speed/acceleration, but even the RWD is faster than most compact/midsize sedans and certainly much faster than the Leaf.

Lack of AWD won’t be an issue in San Diego. You lose some minor things like fog lights and ambient lights. The sound system loses the sub and some speakers but still sounds good enough.

Go for the RWD IMO. It’s an amazing value.

LFPs are amazing, M3RWD 260 usable miles (95%)
M3LR the new one might also have LFPs so let check Lithion and LFP versions:
Lith 300 usable (90%)
LFP 316 usable
LFPs give you a lot for the $
Skipping range, I think it’s more about AWD vs RWD
If money is not an issue, go with AWD and either battery type where range will be great

But wait, project Highland, what if the new M3LR has a 400 mile range Lith 360 usable
That would be amazing

Good luck

L
LFPs are amazing, M3RWD 260 usable miles (95%)
M3LR the new one might also have LFPs so let check Lithion and LFP versions:
Lith 300 usable (90%)
LFP 316 usable
LFPs give you a lot for the $
Skipping range, I think it’s more about AWD vs RWD
If money is not an issue, go with AWD and either battery type where range will be great

But wait, project Highland, what if the new M3LR has a 400 mile range Lith 360 usable
That would be amazing

Good luck
LR is not LFP

The only major difference is the speed/acceleration, but even the RWD is faster than most compact/midsize sedans and certainly much faster than the Leaf.

Lack of AWD won’t be an issue in San Diego. You lose some minor things like fog lights and ambient lights. The sound system loses the sub and some speakers but still sounds good enough.

Go for the RWD IMO. It’s an amazing value.
I agree with this. RWD isn't that much of a drop off from the LR performance wise and is the best bang for your buck.

Reactions: GSP
Thanks all for your thoughts. Given my use case, I just don’t think the AWD is worth it no matter how much I’d like the performance increase. I just don’t drive on enough open roads to justify it, especially when we can take out the Y on those days.

Do most of the stores offer test drives of both or do they usually only have the higher end models?

I own and drive a M3RWD, its amazing. You wont be disappointed.
There is a dedicated link for demonstrations: Schedule a Demo Drive | Tesla
The way they do demos is what also sold me on the Tesla ecosystem, no sales person. Just the person I am with and I driving alone anywhere we wanted to go. Kia said, sure you can test drive in the parking lot with a sales person sitting next to you...ugh

On point I don’t think anyone brought up
Beware that RWD/LFP batteries are slower to charge and with the higher percentage use, 5-100%/95% use which is great, expect longer charging times than expected
Meaning, 5-100% can take 40 minutes and the guys can correct me but these batteries don’t charge above 150kw
I don’t think it’s an issue, but you should be aware
Btw Lith ion less %, less range %, charge faster/up to 250kw

M3RWD is the legit daily driver. I call this the no option car that just works. I have one of my own and I’m glad I didn’t buy the AWD since I have a model S in our garage anyways for longer trips. RWD for me makes sense if that’s your second one and just use it to go to work and driving around your neighborhood. You can’t beat the price.

Reactions: kman42 and GSP
If you can afford LR than just get the LR, you'll be much happier, but if $7K difference will effect your budget the RWD is still a great car for the money.

I test drove them back to back and after driving the LR AWD first, the RWD just felt underwhelming....I ended up getting a M3P ;)

Reactions: PianoAl