Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 scheduled/timed/smart charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for confirmation @AndrewGR. @ACarneiro hope you were able to raise it too.

@Watts_Up There are no shortage of workarounds using the unofficial APIs (I had to build a nodered flow to wake up everytime) but that is not the point. It should have been fixed by now and I suspect it won't ever be fixed as hardware issue requiring a recall so we need to get a date or resolution or admission.

It's a big shame @Jeremy Harris has left as he was closest to emulating the UMC which doesn't suffer this issue.

I'm not sure what you mean about the UMC not suffering this issue?

Is the implication that if you plug in the UMC but it is not powered, and you let the car go to sleep, the car will wake up and start charging if you power up the UMC? It would be interesting if this is true because it would indicate that a sleeping M3 can be woken by a signal through the charging socket. I think this is all that is needed to enable smart charging to work without nerdy workarounds.

Hi All.

HOPEFULLY SOME GOOD NEWS!

As you know I've been on at Tesla for ages about this. Finally got to talk to someone in the engineering department and provide them some testing logs a few weeks ago. They said fix would be in 2020.24 which I got today and seems to have fixed it. It's woken from asleep 3 times on the trot from the charger alone (none Tesla - openevse) after having never worked once since I bought the car.

Can anyone else confirm the same?

FYI: The UMC or Tesla wall charger never suffered this issue as they use some proprietary digital comms and not just Pilot line signal from industry standard level 2 charger.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger and Roy W.
Tesla to fix smart charging (wake vehicle from sleep via Zappi charge) Mentioned here reports that fixed in 2020.24

for what it’s worth, I was able to test for first time last night on 2020.24 and car appeared to wake up and charge (charge set for 03:30 on charger (Zappi), nothing changed on car). Appears fixed here on first test.

F35557CE-B063-443A-B79F-F019C6AE7459.jpeg

Reactions: hmy7k
Hi All, just a brief post to confirm that update 2020.24.6.4 seems to have fixed this problem, at long last. I ran some tests yesterday, and then tested things for real last night during the off-peak period, and the car now wakes up as soon as the charge point control pilot signals that charge power is available, and also the charge was maintained at the full signalled current throughout the charge (no drop to 16/17A).

I spoke to Tesla about this yesterday, and they requested that I do the tests and report back to them, which I've now done. Hopefully they may confirm that the car is now compliant with both IEC61851 and the paragraph in the owner's manual that states that the car will resume charge after a power outage. They may not, though, as I'm not sure they'd want to admit that the car had been non-compliant for so long! (this non-compliance was reported to Tesla in late 2018).

For those wondering why I no longer post here, the answer is simple. Many of my posts here get "downvoted" (most in this thread have been), such that I probably have the worst "downvote" history here of any member.

Hi All, just a brief post to confirm that update 2020.24.6.4 seems to have fixed this problem, at long last. I ran some tests yesterday, and then tested things for real last night during the off-peak period, and the car now wakes up as soon as the charge point control pilot signals that charge power is available, and also the charge was maintained at the full signalled current throughout the charge (no drop to 16/17A).

I spoke to Tesla about this yesterday, and they requested that I do the tests and report back to them, which I've now done. Hopefully they may confirm that the car is now compliant with both IEC61851 and the paragraph in the owner's manual that states that the car will resume charge after a power outage. They may not, though, as I'm not sure they'd want to admit that the car had been non-compliant for so long! (this non-compliance was reported to Tesla in late 2018).

For those wondering why I no longer post here, the answer is simple. Many of my posts here get "downvoted" (most in this thread have been), such that I probably have the worst "downvote" history here of any member.
Don’t let them get to you. We miss your insights. Downvotes mean nothing in the real world

It’s great to see you back on here Jeremy. I too have missed your insightful, detailed and meticulously crafted replies. Together with @arg your posts are probably among to most reliable and informative on this forum.

Your downvoter should have been permanently banned

And thanks also for your help in getting TeslaMate running.

I’m afraid I haven’t been around here long to benefit from your clearly detailed and thoughtful posts. It’s a sad fact that people don’t give others the respect that is deserved. I’ve had Zappi’s since 2017 but the Tesla just 4 months. I have given Tesla the benefit of my displeasure several times as my Zappi’s have worked faultlessly with all our other EV’s. I’ve generated 30Mw over the last 5 years and I don’t like wasting it unnecessarily! I’m delighted that it now works and you may well be right about Tesla’s view on compliance. It’s absence from the latest release notes speaks volumes!
Frankly, I take no notice whether posts are liked or disliked. I’m too old to be bothered by it.

You have 468 up votes and only 168 downvotes. So it seems on balance your input is overwhelmingly appreciated.
You also seem to have typically 1 disagree per post which makes me wonder how many are from the same person. If I only had one person who didn't like me I'd call that a win. There are probably more than that in my house right now. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: WarwickPete

Also.... I have dished out some downvotes (none to you, AFAIK) and it just means that I disagree with some element of that post.
It’s not personal and you shouldn’t take it as such.

That said, I am surprised that you had that many downvotes. It was a always a pleasure to read your posts so I’m disappointed you chose to leave.
Our loss.

Jeremy, I also miss your contributions, and hope you will become more active on here again. As others have said, your 'Disagree' votes seem to be mainly from one member. Indeed, I can't find anyone other than this one person who has disagreed with you. Coincidently, that person only follows you and given 168 disagree votes, exactly the same number you have received. It almost looks like they follow you just to disagree with everything you post :rolleyes: