Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.48.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for all the info on initiating an update.

I will just wait for now until I get the OTA update pushed to me, since I don't have any bug with my car right now.

But I do like the feature of requiring password to turn off the mobile access.

Any P3D owner not the plus who has got this update and got the track mode yet ? I just spoke to Tesla Customer Service I am on 46.2 with No Track mode Yet they said it should be in 48.x update however he did forward it to engineering team to fix it as well he said should be 3-5 business days for them to push it out to my vehicle.

So Just want to see if anyone with 48,x with P3D had the track mode yet ?

Reactions: Jtt777
I'm still waiting for additional software updates... been stuck on 2018.42.2.1 for a while now.
I’m also a 42.2.1 firmware owner. We are rare birds (5% of M3 owners) but I wouldn’t say stuck. This is a robust, reliable build. Everything works. Audio is fantastic (I dread the mysterious no-bass glitch). AutoWipers are weak but they are weak all builds to date. I was just able to activate a new EAP trial with a simple request to Tesla online to evaluate under V9.

I’m very happy with this oddball build and it’s certainly not worthy of SC attention.

Can’t help but wonder what us 5 percenters have in common?

We are rare birds (5% of M3 owners) but I wouldn’t say stuck. This is a robust, reliable build. Everything works.
I wouldn't say everything works, given the frequency with which the car fails to properly load USB media, shuts off when I close the door after getting in, auto high beams are a little schizophrenic, it failed to load the in-car manual when I was showing the interface to one of the guys from Rivian, etc. Plus, I'm still waiting for track mode.

No, just be patient. “I want it now” is not a good reason, and unnecessary calls to service centers about updates are probably one reason they’re overwhelmed. Updates are sent out slowly over days (it used to be weeks!) so if there is a new bug it doesn’t affect the whole fleet. Also not every car gets every update, often an update is stopped because a problem is found and those who didn’t receive it will only get a later update. Don’t stress about updates. You don’t need every one as soon as it’s out and sometimes you’re better off if you’re not one of the early ones. This isn’t an iPhone.

This is something I really have a hard time understanding.

My car background has mostly been BMW since I was 17. I’m 31 now. In those years I have owned a few cars...5 bimmers and all of them had their share of ‘issues’. I never even once factored in “hey the dealership is super busy.. poor guys... I shouldn’t take my 70k car in and have them do their jobs...” in fact... BMW always encouraged me to bring in the car for “whatever” reason I ever wanted and they would give me the red carpet treatment. My first Bmw was a used 330i and was probably only worth about 35k at the time. Bmw treated me like royalty from day 1 no matter what model I owned or brought in for service and I never felt guilty doing so!

Why would Tesla be help to any other standard???? You want to compete with the German automakers you need to do it in all categories.. especially customer service!!

I encourage you all to never feel bad about making the service centers do their job which is to “satisfy the customer”... yes that means even if I want a basic update... it shouldn’t ever be an inconvenience to them.

This is something I really have a hard time understanding.

My car background has mostly been BMW since I was 17. I’m 31 now. In those years I have owned a few cars...5 bimmers and all of them had their share of ‘issues’. I never even once factored in “hey the dealership is super busy.. poor guys... I shouldn’t take my 70k car in and have them do their jobs...” in fact... BMW always encouraged me to bring in the car for “whatever” reason I ever wanted and they would give me the red carpet treatment. My first Bmw was a used 330i and was probably only worth about 35k at the time. Bmw treated me like royalty from day 1 no matter what model I owned or brought in for service and I never felt guilty doing so!

Why would Tesla be help to any other standard???? You want to compete with the German automakers you need to do it in all categories.. especially customer service!!

I encourage you all to never feel bad about making the service centers do their job which is to “satisfy the customer”... yes that means even if I want a basic update... it shouldn’t ever be an inconvenience to them.

I think the difference is, you weren't getting OTA updates every 4 weeks from BMW. I'd almost guarantee if your car was functioning completely fine, they wouldn't give you the red carpet treatment every month just so you could have the most up to date enhancements when you'll get it on your own soon.

Sure if you have a real issue, Tesla should take care of it in a timely matter.

I want it because other people have it, even though my car is fine, doesn't seem like a valid reason to request service constantly. Heck some people have been wanting to avoid the latest updates because of some of the port unlocking behavior.

• Love
Reactions: mhan00
Also- service is a profit center for BMW (heh- especially for BMW :p)...so of course they treat you like royalty- you are the one buying them their summer homes and fancy vacations paying for service with a significant upcharge built in.

It's not one for Tesla. Elon has mentioned a number of times they explicitly don't price service visits to turn a profit.

Reactions: GWord
Complete nonsense.... service centers and every other aspect of Tesla's main objective is to turn a profit.... the ship of not making any money has sailed and Tesla need profits in all directions to survive. Don't forget 2020 will be a VERY different ball game for EV's...

When i was 17 i was a very particular customer ( aka royal pain in the ass) and took my car in weekly at times for little squeaks and rattles. Or if the rubberized material wasn't perfect on my buttons etc....

BMW treated me SO well for every single little insignificant issue i raised. Not only that but they ALWAYS offered me a loaner no matter what.

Today I will live with rattles and squeaks partly because i don't have the free time i had as a teen to go to the dealership and mostly because i don't really care.

I'm currently on 2018.42.3... and my AP freaking SUCKS! Swerves in and out of lanes during lane changes, constantly cancels lane changes. Erratic behavior...Constantly alerting me to take control for absolutely no reason. This should never happen! Yes, we are in 'beta'... but functionality and safety should not decrease ever! It should only get better with each update.

Tesla has taken the Microsoft approach of releasing an update that fixes one issue and breaks three things that were working perfectly.... At least they can learn one thing from MS and allow us to request updates at our leisure as well as decline non critical updates.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DR61 and outdoors
I have lost almost all screen function with the new update. (2018.48)
See images of how it looks.

Did update Friday night, screen was messed like that most of the weekend after the update. At times it will flicker back to on with horrible graphics, but then go right back to the colored lines. Never had this issue before the Friday night update. And it has never flickered back on since, aside from last night...

After charging last night (Sunday night), the screen was fine when I got in the car, but a mile into my drive, right back to colored lines. Reboots don't fix (can't do the re-boot via the screen, only two scroll wheels)
I did get the message that the Update Completed successfully, so I'm hoping they can just roll me back to the old update to fix this, as I don't think it's an issue with the update not fully finishing.
I guess the screen could have just gone out coincidentally.

Next service appointment is Jan 9th which is crazy because I don't want to go over a month with no MPH, no Back up Camera, no Proximity Chimes when parking (turned those off the day before so the baby wouldn't wake up while parking), No Sound/Music (it's frozen on something and the left scroll wheel don't start any music), No Navigate on Auto Pilot to work, etc. (first world problems)

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know. Waiting for a call back from Tesla now.
(Update: they say, sorry, soonest is over a month away, tough luck. This bothers me a little, but i do understand somewhat)

Attachments

• F0nErcJ.jpg
    F0nErcJ.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 139
  • M3-Screen.jpg
    M3-Screen.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 114
  • M3-Screen2.jpg
    M3-Screen2.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Informative
Reactions: GuyDude
Complete nonsense.... service centers and every other aspect of Tesla's main objective is to turn a profit

Yes, your claim regarding service centers is complete nonsense since they've explicitly said it's untrue.

Glad you recognize that :)

Car Dealers Are Terrified of Tesla's Plan to Eliminate Oil Changes

Elon Musk said:
"Our philosophy with respect to service is not to make a profit on service," Musk said. "I think it's terrible to make a profit on service."

He's since said he expects, eventually (years from now as there's more Teslas out of warranty) that service will contribute to gross margin (which doesn't count overhead costs) but not net margin.

BMW treated me SO well for every single little insignificant issue i raised. Not only that but they ALWAYS offered me a loaner no matter what.

Of course they did. Service is, by far, the single biggest point of profit for a BMW dealership.

Again that is not at all true for Tesla.

Last edited:

Did update Friday night, screen was messed like that most of the weekend after the update. At times it will flicker back to on with horrible graphics, but then go right back to the colored lines. Never had this issue before the Friday night update. And it has never flickered back on since, aside from last night...

After charging last night (Sunday night), the screen was fine when I got in the car, but a mile into my drive, right back to colored lines. Reboots don't fix (can't do the re-boot via the screen, only two scroll wheels)
I did get the message that the Update Completed successfully, so I'm hoping they can just roll me back to the old update to fix this, as I don't think it's an issue with the update not fully finishing.

Next service appointment is Jan 9th which is crazy because I don't want to go over a month with no MPH, no Back up Camera, no Proximity Chimes when parking (turned those off the day before so the baby wouldn't wake up while parking), No Sound/Music (it's frozen on something and the left scroll wheel don't start any music), No Navigate on Auto Pilot to work, etc. (first world problems)

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know. Waiting for a call back from Tesla now.
(Update: they say, sorry, soonest is over a month away, tough luck. This bothers me a little, but i do understand somewhat)
It really looks like a coincidence.
Anyway, call in. Screen down is a security concern and they should be able to fit you in the next day or so.

That looks like a bad screen or loose display cable to me. I'd be very surprised if an update caused that. As @milton_br said it's probably just coincidence that the screen went bonkers after the update. Just drive it into the service center unannounced and show them what's going on. The car is basically unusable with a malfunctioning screen. If they can't get to it immediately they should at least be able to hold onto it until they can and provide you with a loaner.

FWIW I'd be informing them this is a safety problem (no speedometer for example) so they can either get you in now, or provide a loaner until they have time to fix it.

Would probably physically go to the service center to tell them that too, though it's a pretty short drive for me and I realize that's not the case for everyone.

Your car is not usable or acceptable in that condition. Drive it to the nearest major service center and show it to them. No service manager in his right mind would tell you to bugger off for another month.