Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine went from 219 to 229 miles of range, which extrapolates to 324 miles at 100%, assuming that 100% before the update was 310. A day before the update, I charged the battery to 100% (exactly 310 miles) and drained it down to 14%, so it should be fairly well calibrated.
I'll try to calibrate my battery and see if it helps. Most of the time I keep my SOC between 50% and 80%.

Looking at my charging data on Teslafi, it looks like it actually takes more energy getting from 80% to 90%. So it seems that it's not just a display or calculation change, but an actual increase in effective range.

Looking at some past charges in my recent history, the amount of charge added to go from 80% to 90% used to be around 7.2 kWh. In my one charge since the update, 7.54 kWh was added from 80% to 90%. A increase of .34 kWh for 10% of the battery would equate to 3.4 kWh for 100%. At my lifetime average of 240 Wh/mi, that would give me 14 more miles of range.

This was just one charge, so I'll have to see how this looks with more data. Maybe I also need to do a full charge to 100% to calibrate it.

Does anyone know if the peak power increase translates into better torque as well as an increase in the top speed for a LR RW M3? If so, I wonder what the 0 to 60mph spec might be.

I wish Elon would spell out what to expect in each version now.

Everyone is doing experiments.

I know that experimenting is part of the fun for some people, but knowing what things should be according to Tesla would be great to know in the quest to find out if something is broken or not.

Looking at my charging data on Teslafi, it looks like it actually takes more energy getting from 80% to 90%. So it seems that it's not just a display or calculation change, but an actual increase in effective range.

Looking at some past charges in my recent history, the amount of charge added to go from 80% to 90% used to be around 7.2 kWh. In my one charge since the update, 7.54 kWh was added from 80% to 90%. A increase of .34 kWh for 10% of the battery would equate to 3.4 kWh for 100%. At my lifetime average of 240 Wh/mi, that would give me 14 more miles of range.

This was just one charge, so I'll have to see how this looks with more data. Maybe I also need to do a full charge to 100% to calibrate it.

TeslaFi is simply reading off the API data and it's not a clear indicator of a range increase or decrease. It's simply reporting back what the car is reporting back in terms of range.

Can you link to the specific wheels you used? This is very interesting. Thank you.

Update: Also, do you still feel that the torque/HP is pretty much the same on 18's if you were to hit the pedal? Maybe even FASTER?
In rough comparisons of acceleration there seemed to have been zero change, but the 18" were new and the 20" had ~5000 miles. I did not time the comparison accurately as I should have done in retrospect. Added note, unlike expectations there was no perceptible difference in ride, but cornering is slightly less precise with the 18's.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyinDelorean
I wish Elon would spell out what to expect in each version now.

Everyone is doing experiments.

I know that experimenting is part of the fun for some people, but knowing what things should be according to Tesla would be great to know in the quest to find out if something is broken or not.

You mean other than what they have listed on their site?

Standard Range - 220 mi Range (EPA est.) / 130 mph Top Speed / 5.6s 0-60 mph
Standard Range Plus - 240 mi Range (EPA est.) / 140 mph Top Speed / 5.3s 0-60 mph
Mid Range - 264 mi Range (EPA est.) / 140 mph Top Speed / 5.2s 0-60 mph
Long Range - 325 mi Range (EPA est.) / 140 mph Top Speed / 5.0s 0-60 mph
Long Range Dual Motor - 310 mi Range (EPA est.) / 145 mph Top Speed / 4.5s 0-60 mph
Performance - 310 mi Range (EPA est.) / 162 mph Top Speed / 3.2s 0-60 mph

You mean other than what they have listed on their site?

Standard Range - 220 mi Range (EPA est.) / 130 mph Top Speed / 5.6s 0-60 mph
Standard Range Plus - 240 mi Range (EPA est.) / 140 mph Top Speed / 5.3s 0-60 mph
Mid Range - 264 mi Range (EPA est.) / 140 mph Top Speed / 5.2s 0-60 mph
Long Range - 325 mi Range (EPA est.) / 140 mph Top Speed / 5.0s 0-60 mph
Long Range Dual Motor - 310 mi Range (EPA est.) / 145 mph Top Speed / 4.5s 0-60 mph
Performance - 310 mi Range (EPA est.) / 162 mph Top Speed / 3.2s 0-60 mph

NO...I mean pertaining to which update are the website's numbers for?

Do these numbers pertain to 2018.x.xxxx
or do these number pertain to 2019.7.11
or do these number pertain to 2019.5.25
or do these number pertain to 2019.5.16
or do these number pertain to 2019.5.15
or do these number pertain to 2019.5.14.1

They have all been rolling out since January.

Last edited:
NO...I mean pertaining to which update are these numbers for?

Do these numbers pertain to 2018.x.xxxx
or do these numbers pertain to 2019.x.xxxx
or do these number pertain to ????????

Each time you get a new update, just speed up until you get to max speed, once it increases from 155 mph to 162 mph, you know that is the update. :)

EM did state March 15th, it does appear people are getting additional range on the RWD with 2019.5.15. My butt is not sensitive enough to notice difference between 5.1 and 5.0 sec 0-60.

There is no top speed increase for the LR RWD Model 3. (The speed increase was only for the Performance model wasn't it?)
The front motor on AWD is induction but the rear is the magnet motor. It appears they had some kind of software breakthrough or realization that this rear motor can be pushed harder or operate at a higher speed. So if they had the chance to either increase range for the 3P or increase torque maybe they chose torque. But for RWD vehicles maybe they used the same improvement to increase the range instead of adjusting the torque. I really don't know, to be quite honest and it is quite confusing. Also what "5% increased peak power across all models" even means is confusing as hell.. do we have any idea what that even means?

Only the LR RWD Model 3 got a range increase. All Model 3s are supposed to get a ~5% peak power increase.

Just to be clear, NO Model 3 got a range increase. The LR RWD Model 3 has been getting longer range out of the same battery charge than the LR AWD or P versions, so they've updated the range estimate formula on the LR RWD to reflect the higher efficiency.

The power bump is the other way around - they've adjusted the software to allow all Model 3s to generate 5% more peak power.

They haven't said whether it generates more power at all speeds, or whether they just allow the car to peak higher. The increase in power at low speeds, if any, may be much less than 5%. The car generates peak power somewhere above/below 40 mph (67 kph) depending on how much charge your battery had at the time.
Tesla-Model-3-SOC-Dyno-Results.jpg

Likewise, the increase in top speed is likely simply a matter of allowing the battery to discharge at a slightly higher continuous maximal rate.

There's unlikely to be any change in mechanical horsepower produced at the motor by a given current, they're adjusting the current they send to the motor. Sending too much too often is bad for the battery.

Likewise, the increase in top speed is likely simply a matter of allowing the battery to discharge at a slightly higher continuous maximal rate.

Elon said that the increased top speed is because they determined that it was safe to spin the motor at a higher RPM. It was, and still is, electronically limited and could probably actually go faster, but then you risk a RUD event.

Reactions: MentalNomad

Can someone with a JuiceBox Pro or a similarly metered EVSE repeat this experiment? ;) My gut feeling tells me it's a display change only, but I'd love to be surprised by unlocked reserve below the former 0% charge.