Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me the best part of this release is the location based auto folding and unfolding side mirrors. No more need to manually push buttons on the screen every time I pull into and out of my garage. Now the mirrors go with the garage door, tried it and it works great. This kind of thing is what makes Tesla great, new features keep coming that you didn't even know you needed when you bought the car.

I've been a Tesla owner since 2015, and an update has never been like this.

In previous times it has followed exactly like you said. A few releases of small sizes followed by much larger releases. This time there is so much of an emphasis on California that it's indicative of something else going on.

As of this writing around 4.4% of the entire TeslaFi Model 3 fleet has 2019.5.4. But, the TeslaFI fleet has cars that exist outside of the US and I believe the release is limited to the US for now. I'm assuming the Canadians complaining about the lack of Sentry mode is correct.

So that means the percentage is actually much, much higher for California. I tried figuring out how many California Model 3 cars are active on TeslaFI, but I can't find it.

But, we can reasonably ballpark it at around 25% as Tesla sold more Model 3's in California than anywhere else. So that means Tesla has around a 20% install rate of Sentry Mode in California. That's an awful lot of cars for a software development effort (to look for bugs, etc).

It's too early to tell if its been officially released in California (in an incomplete form) or they simply needed a LARGE sample size to get adequate measurement.

Having so many means Tesla is risking people having alarms going off, and the car getting a bad reputation. If there isn't enough then they under sample. I think it's important to emphasize that this feature is likely nowhere near as easy to implement (correctly) as it might seem. Like right now I believe you have to pull the stick to review footage if the alarm goes off. So at some point the video sample needs to be part of the push notification. Like my porch security camera does when it detects a human in my backyard.

Maybe the focus is on California because the San Francisco Bay area and parts of Southern California area have epidemic amounts of car break ins. As a result maybe Tesla felt it would be best to get this to the areas and Teslas that might be most benefitted by it as soon as possible?? I recognize one guy who posted he got the update being someone who had his Model 3's rear window broken into.

Is that the modus operandi for changing lanes in LA? My brother (bless his heart) lived in LA for years and he swore that the effective way to change lanes in LA was to put on your blinker for the lane you want to change to..........wait for three cars to pass you and then go into that lane? Of course the last time he tried that tactic, he ended up in a collision. Imagine that?
You guys need something productive to do. This attacking anyone for something they says is a bit tedious. The problem is you have missed my point. It wasn't about the couple of seconds or even about the signalling. It was about the chime.

Anyone have any idea why my M3P might still be sitting at 2018.v48.12? Haven't receiving any update notifications on my app. The car is usually parked in an underground garage without wifi but the app should still get the notification if something was pushed out, right?

Last and only update was a day or so after purchasing on 12/3.

Located in Arlington VA - in the DC metro area. Any ideas or suggestions?

Maybe the focus is on California because the San Francisco Bay area and parts of Southern California area have epidemic amounts of car break ins. As a result maybe Tesla felt it would be best to get this to the areas and Teslas that might be most benefitted by it as soon as possible?? I recognize one guy who posted he got the update being someone who had his Model 3's rear window broken into.

My entire post was basically of the belief that Tesla modified a typical SW development release due to the nature of what was happening in California.

Both in the development, and in the release. It's such a perfect test case that there is obviously going to be a lot of emphasis on Cali on both sides of things.

It's too bad we don't name releases anymore like we used to. This would probably be the Cali-Special.

In any case it's now a wide rollout so I'm excited to try it out once it lands.

Not sure I follow your logic. My point: TeslaFi will show what software updates its users get, Cali or not. Recently it’s been mostly Model 3s in California. Obviously it’s a representative sample, since not everyone is a member. But everyone can check the software stats, member or not.

You have to be a member of TeslaFi to see the location information on each car getting the update..

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea why my M3P might still be sitting at 2018.v48.12? Haven't receiving any update notifications on my app. The car is usually parked in an underground garage without wifi but the app should still get the notification if something was pushed out, right?

Last and only update was a day or so after purchasing on 12/3.

Located in Arlington VA - in the DC metro area. Any ideas or suggestions?

Nowadays you must be on Wi-Fi or get an update pushed by a service center to download it. Updates have not downloaded over cellular since v9.0 — the date to do so was previously set at about 2-4 weeks after initial release, and now it’s set to year 2030 or something like that.

If you have a cell phone that can act as a mobile hotspot, that is another way to receive updates over Wi-Fi. Otherwise politely asking your service center could get you a pushed update over cellular.

2018.48.12 is not too out of date. I think you should get 2018.50.6 or 50.7 if you tether, as that is the most common Model 3 update. Despite hearing a lot of owners here getting the sentry mode update, it’s not at all widespread now, less than 5% of cars in the fleet have it. Rollout data is crowdsourced here: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

For me the best part of this release is the location based auto folding and unfolding side mirrors. No more need to manually push buttons on the screen every time I pull into and out of my garage. Now the mirrors go with the garage door, tried it and it works great. This kind of thing is what makes Tesla great, new features keep coming that you didn't even know you needed when you bought the car.
Yes, a car company that actually listens to customers feature requests.

I've been a Tesla owner since 2015, and an update has never been like this.

In previous times it has followed exactly like you said. A few releases of small sizes followed by much larger releases. This time there is so much of an emphasis on California that it's indicative of something else going on.....

My entire post was basically of the belief that Tesla modified a typical SW development release due to the nature of what was happening in California.

Both in the development, and in the release. It's such a perfect test case that there is obviously going to be a lot of emphasis on Cali on both sides of things.

It's too bad we don't name releases anymore like we used to. This would probably be the Cali-Special.

In any case it's now a wide rollout so I'm excited to try it out once it lands.

I did understand you felt it had something to do specifically with California but didn't see you put a name to it, so I did, "break ins", being all too aware of it unfortunately (and realize the rest of the country maybe not be)...our MS's triangular window was smashed while at a busy restaurant in San Jose back in 2017. Will be curious over time to see if it's an effective deterent to the window smashing (we had nothing in our cargo area and are always mindful of what we have in the car, so the broken glass was the worst for us).

I've been seeing the Tesla-fi numbers going up today. Interesting to see where it's being pushed to. My husband has my car right now and it's not near wifi so hoping I don't miss the push.

Last edited: