Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, I'm a bit more hestitant to use AP when Im in the HOV lane and slower cars are adjacent of me. Also, definitely can't use AP with my fiance in the car anymore until this is addressed. She already hates the stop and go abruptness of AP, although its gotten a lot better the past few updates.

Don't forget to bug report when a phantom brake or unnecessary brake happens!

Girlfriends and AP don't not mix well....

My 2019.5.4 update was available on 2/24. Didn't realize this go round I'd be among the seemingly small subset of owners getting it. I too wanted it for Sentry Mode and it wasn't until last night that we picked up a 128GB USB stick to try out TeslaCam along with Sentry Mode. Drove around to get TeslaCam footage and then tested out the Alert status on Sentry. Didn't want to blast my neighbors by activating the Alarm feature, so will try that out in a more secluded area to see it for myself. Understand it is pretty loud. For the Alert triggering did like that the headlights flashed to get your attention and then the screen went active with the nice big red eye. Easy to see at night but kind of wondered about how noticeable it would be during the day. Did work as expected from what I could tell. When I turned off Sentry Mode, it did toggle the regular car Alarm to active. I like that you can activate Sentry from your app. I wonder if they are tweeking Sentry to not be as sensitive where it will save files. Did see a few posts from people that after parking their car for a hour or so they found their USB had many MB of saved files which were false alarms. Since Sentry saves files which don't get overwritten, people with small drives or who aren't viewing their USB drives on a more or less daily basis can find them filled up quickly. Do believe the car's app will send you a notice when that happens but not sure. If not, it should.

Along the lines of the Sentry alarm funciton, last night we were pulling into a parking lot for a Starbucks visit when the nearby credit union alarm started going off--very loud clanging bell sound. Despite being quite loud, honestly it was not attracting much attention. People heard it, kind of looked around and continues on their way. There was even a parking lot patrol guy who just kind of walked through the lot not even going over in that direction. Did notice the police pull up in the parking lot near there a bit later and I'm guessing it was a false trigger (the credit union was closed however). Just made me wonder how much attention people will pay to a Tesla's alarm going off. Still I'm happy to have this update but don't think I'll raise my back seats just yet.

I drive local streets mostly so don't use AP. My husband does use it when in my car and hasn't mentioned any issues with phantom braking.

Last edited:
Reactions: RBowen
Since the update I did have one instance of a black rear screen after I kind of very firmly closed the trunk lid. I actually thought maybe the force affected the camera connection. It cleared up when I exited the car so it shut off and then reentered it. No reoccurance since.

Reactions: MMBTUS
So I can confirm I've seen these issues with 5.3:
  • Over-enthusiastic braking during AP when other cars are around
  • Sentry Mode alarm goes off when closing the trunk (I've heard this was resolved with 5.4)
  • Rear camera going black on occasion
But it still makes me wonder if there were other underlying issues that forced them to discontinue deployment. These issues here, albeit annoying, would not be showstoppers IMO but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not sure I've noticed this with 2019.5.4.

• Sentry Mode alarm goes off when closing the trunk (I've heard this was resolved with 5.4)
Yeah I haven't seen this on 2019.5.4 at all.

I've had frequent black screen delays of anywhere from 1 to 4 seconds with the rear camera on 2019.5.4.

But it still makes me wonder if there were other underlying issues that forced them to discontinue deployment. These issues here, albeit annoying, would not be showstoppers IMO but maybe I'm wrong.

I haven't had any issues with AP with phantom breaking with other car around me but I do have the rear camera going black for 1-3 seconds and then the camera feed appears. This mainly happens when the car is coming out of a deep sleep (going to work in the morning)

I had EAP slow down due to someone on the sidewalk, that was a first. No cars anywhere nearby, nice weather, etc.

I’m also getting the regen breaking limited message kind of get stuck on the screen, even when per the power meter it is obviously working. Double press reboot fixes that one.