Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those that have the update and say they have had the 325 "range increase" (I don't have it yet):

Has the car's miles/hour charge rate that it displayed changed changed from the previous when you plug it into a known charger?

Correct me if i'm making incorrect assumptions here, but I would assume that the rate they give while charging would be sufficient evidence for figuring out whether it was just a calculation change or whether they actually unlocked some capacity.

If you put it on the charger and the speed is unchanged, but you can charge to 325, then it would seem that it's an actual unlocking of capacity.
If you put it on the charger and the speed has *increased* and you can charge to 325, then it would seem that it's just a calculation difference.

This is assuming they are using the same calculation to calculate speed as they do for mileage. I can't help but feel this is probable.

Reactions: David L
TeslaFi is simply reading off the API data and it's not a clear indicator of a range increase or decrease. It's simply reporting back what the car is reporting back in terms of range.
I agree completely, although my observation here is not based on the reported range, but the charge energy added in kWh. Granted, I don't know what the accuracy of this measurement is as it comes from the car, and I only have one data point so far. But it is interesting that the energy added from this sample is greater than my samples from before the update, and by roughly the expected amount. I will remain skeptical until I see more data.

To those that have the update and say they have had the 325 "range increase" (I don't have it yet):

Has the car's miles/hour charge rate that it displayed changed changed from the previous when you plug it into a known charger?

Correct me if i'm making incorrect assumptions here, but I would assume that the rate they give while charging would be sufficient evidence for figuring out whether it was just a calculation change or whether they actually unlocked some capacity.

If you put it on the charger and the speed is unchanged, but you can charge to 325, then it would seem that it's an actual unlocking of capacity.
If you put it on the charger and the speed has *increased* and you can charge to 325, then it would seem that it's just a calculation difference.

This is assuming they are using the same calculation to calculate speed as they do for mileage. I can't help but feel this is probable.
That's an interesting thought. My charge rate, displayed in miles/hour, was the same as before. I use this same charger at work almost every day and consistently get 23 mi/hr, and it was the same today. Of course, the precision is limited since it doesn't display fractions of a mi/hr. Unfortunately I didn't look at the power to verify it's the same. I'll look at that next time. Like you said, if the same power results in a different mi/hr rate then it's just a calculation change.

That's an interesting thought. My charge rate, displayed in miles/hour, was the same as before. I use this same charger at work almost every day and consistently get 23 mi/hr, and it was the same today. Of course, the precision is limited since it doesn't display fractions of a mi/hr. Unfortunately I didn't look at the power to verify it's the same. I'll look at that next time. Like you said, if the same power results in a different mi/hr rate then it's just a calculation change.

Thanks for this answer! Of course it will be great once we get some more data from others in order to cement the findings, but what you're saying is already highly suggestive of an actual capacity unlock. It's still too early to call it for certain though.

We need that guy Bjørn Nyland on youtube to stress test his Tesla again. Literally, that guy has run down to 0 and charged to 100 a lot of times. Has driven in crazy conditions. Probably more accurate than any dyno testing or anything like that. I wish I was being funny but the guy really does go crazy to test these cars to the extreme.

You mean other than what they have listed on their site?

Standard Range - 220 mi Range (EPA est.) / 130 mph Top Speed / 5.6s 0-60 mph
Standard Range Plus - 240 mi Range (EPA est.) / 140 mph Top Speed / 5.3s 0-60 mph
Mid Range - 264 mi Range (EPA est.) / 140 mph Top Speed / 5.2s 0-60 mph
Long Range - 325 mi Range (EPA est.) / 140 mph Top Speed / 5.0s 0-60 mph
Long Range Dual Motor - 310 mi Range (EPA est.) / 145 mph Top Speed / 4.5s 0-60 mph
Performance - 310 mi Range (EPA est.) / 162 mph Top Speed / 3.2s 0-60 mph
Are these numbers actually taken from their site? If so, please provide a link.

Are these numbers actually taken from their site? If so, please provide a link.

It's the specs from the order page.

From their News section:

We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-Tesla-model-3-available-now

Positive. And I don't even have a grayed out icon. There is no dash cam icon at all. Checked the usb drive on my desktop and it is not corrupted.
Hmm I wonder what they changed from 5.15 which I just got two days ago.

Re: your dash cam, take the drive out, reformat it completely, reinsert and voila you’ll have your dash cam icon back. Just deleting the folder doesn’t do it.

Looks like they've exhausted the earlier-delivered Californians and it's now rolling out across the country.
Screenshot_20190311-222513.png

Attachments

• Tesla-Model-3-SOC-Dyno-Results.jpg
    Tesla-Model-3-SOC-Dyno-Results.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 57