Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received the 5.15 update last night. It appears autopilot works better now. AP used to hug the edge of the road when going around sharp turns--sometimes even slightly going off the road. Now it appears to stay in the center of the lane on those same curves. Anyone else noticed a difference?
This is what I find disappointing. My entire career was in software development. On updated software released we'd note new features plus fixed bugs, which would include enhancements. I saw nothing in release notes about auto wiper, NoA, improved power, anything uncorked, or mileage improvement. I also don't recall sentry mode but it's in the mobile app.

Last edited:
I noted this a few pages ago, but this issue only occurs from me if the car isn't moving or there isnt an object moving in frame. It seems intentional to me.

In my case seeing green screen corruption has been both moving and stationary on the video clips. I do appreciate knowing others are seeing some issues and I'm not alone. First thought was maybe the flashdrive I was using so a process of trying to eliminate possible causes. :)

One thing I've been wondering about is what will happen to USB recordings once summer and high temps hit inside cars. Might be more of a problem with USBs recording in the heat. I'd love to use a micro SD card that we use in our Blackvue (developed for use in dashcams/higher temps and overwrites) but don't know if there is some sort of USB/micro SD card drive out there. If anyone knows and is using one, love to hear about it. :D

In my case seeing green screen corruption has been both moving and stationary on the video clips. I do appreciate knowing others are seeing some issues and I'm not alone. First thought was maybe the flashdrive I was using so a process of trying to eliminate possible causes. :)

One thing I've been wondering about is what will happen to USB recordings once summer and high temps hit inside cars. Might be more of a problem with USBs recording in the heat. I'd love to use a micro SD card that we use in our Blackvue (developed for use in dashcams/higher temps and overwrites) but don't know if there is some sort of USB/micro SD card drive out there. If anyone knows and is using one, love to hear about it. :D

There are many options to be able to use your favorite microSD as a USB drive
https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-MicroSD-Reader-Writer-GFR204SD/dp/B0046TJG1U

Reactions: SMAlset
Elon just tweeted that Sentry mode is in 2019.8.x. Which makes no sense to me, since we've been looking at it and talking about since early versions of 2019.5. Someone asked him why it wasn't there and he said to plug in a USB...

Now, he said 'comes with 2019.8'. He didn't specifically say that was the first release it came with.... Arg......

But you will notice that he was responding to someone in France asking about when their Model S would get Sentry mode. So it makes perfect sense, the Model S is going to start getting Sentry mode in 2019.8.

There are many options to be able to use your favorite microSD as a USB drive
https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-MicroSD-Reader-Writer-GFR204SD/dp/B0046TJG1U

Thanks for the link. So I want to make sure I get a reader/writer, correct?

Given we want to record video from, well now 3 cameras at once, assume I should I be looking for a fast transfer rate? and if so what would be the range to look for? The USB flashdrive we bought to tryout the TeslaCam on is a San Disk Ultra 3.0 flashdrive (says backward compatible with USB 2.0) advertised with speed up to 100MB/s. I do see green screen corruption and on some clips image distortion. I know the cameras now with the current hardware aren't recording full screen (and I think at 4 Mbps bit rate) and making compromises so some of my corruption issues might be inherent at the moment.

Last edited:
I'd love to use a micro SD card that we use in our Blackvue (developed for use in dashcams/higher temps and overwrites) but don't know if there is some sort of USB/micro SD card drive out there. If anyone knows and is using one, love to hear about it. :D

Both of my BlackVue cameras came with a USB adapter in the box to allow you to use the Micro SD with a USB port. They are actually BkackVue branded and are black and red adapters.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
But you will notice that he was responding to someone in France asking about when their Model S would get Sentry mode. So it makes perfect sense, the Model S is going to start getting Sentry mode in 2019.8.
Good point, if that's the one for the S/X.... I didn't note that person was talking about a specific model. (Or even why it would matter, again, so much for the S/X get the good stuff first.... guess that's a dead horse! :D )

Both of my BlackVue cameras came with a USB adapter in the box to allow you to use the Micro SD with a USB port. They are actually BkackVue branded and are black and red adapters.

Thanks! Pulled out our BV DR900-S box and found the little adapter. The plastic casing heats up a bit when I put it in my laptop with a recorded Micro SD card in it and watched some old recorded footage. Normal? Don't want to have any problems removing it from my car. The little bugger adapter is so small but could be a good option.

And the final update on the bad firmware install is: It's done. After reinstalling it, the car still didn't come up. I got in the car, and tried to reboot it at their request, for transport to the Service Center (drive or truck), and scroll wheels didn't respond. I tried using the app to lock and unlock the car, and that flashed the lights and woke something up. Then the scroll wheels worked. Something to have in the back of your mind perhaps!

When it came up, it was fine on 2019.5.15, Dog mode, Sentry mode, etc. They said the GPS (which indicated the mothership (Palo Alto)) would reset on driving, and everything else looked fine.

They mentioned there were a couple other reports of this (perhaps bad boot loaded was a theory?). We shall see.

I'll get to test them Friday. Nice to know they finally put some effort into them.
Today is the first rain since my 2019.5.xxx update.

Holy smokes are the wipers great now.

Great Job Tesla on the wipers.

Please don't change a thing with them. Fantastic Job!!!!

Weird, I had to use them this morning. While 2018.50.6 was a huge step up in the wipers, I felt like this morning 2019.5.15 was a step backwards to the "not sensitive enough" mode.

Weird, I had to use them this morning. While 2018.50.6 was a huge step up in the wipers, I felt like this morning 2019.5.15 was a step backwards to the "not sensitive enough" mode.
GF hates autowipers in low rain, and will have her check it out with new 2019.5.15. I can't see why Tesla can't add a sensitivity level (scroll wheel...) like every other car with auto wipers had. (Obligatory my BMW x3 had this in 2003 complaint... :D)

GF hates autowipers in low rain, and will have her check it out with new 2019.5.15. I can't see why Tesla can't add a sensitivity level (scroll wheel...) like every other car with auto wipers had. (Obligatory my BMW x3 had this in 2003 complaint... :D)

Scroll wheel already is taken (left for volume, right for CC/TACC speed)

Also every other car with auto wipers has an actual rain sensor, the Model 3 does not.

Just for another data point, with the final install of 2019.5.15, definitely have the 1% charging going on when the car is awake, using HPWC, and not using scheduled charging. Anytime it's awake, it goes from 89 to 90 and back. I'll see how often it does it, but this is definitely NOT what we've had for years. It's classically been 3% (my X goes 77-80 (gets less use, so I keep the battery at a lower SoC). And 1% is insane, because it really means 0% based on roundoff errors and the like.