Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's topping off constantly throughout the day when you have a schedule set than yes its a bug. For me it only tops off at the specified schedule time with this new version. With previous versions it would not top off even at the scheduled time unless I drove the car that day. So if I had been home all day the charge would never start even at the scheduled time and my car would be depleted every day. That's why this was an improvement. But for you it seems to work incorrectly.
When I don't use my car, the car would loose 1% per day. Going from 90% to 87% in three days. It's only on the third day at 11pm that the car would trigger a charge to go back to 90%. Then the cycle would start again.

Now the car only needs to loose less than 1% triggering multiple charging sessions overnight.

You can't have your phone with you when you do it. Turn off your bluetooth or put you phone far away.
Just remembered this myself. Phone was unlocking the car even though it was a few yards away. And if an iPhone, be sure to really turn BT off. Don’t use control panel since current connections will still be active.

Or just leave it inside or something. :D

Ahemmmm…..
Like every other car that has auto wipers... ?

Don’t virtually all cars with auto wipers have adjustable sensitivity? As mentioned, my over a decade old BMW did and yes it had a dedicated rain sensor. I still think they could adjust the rain drops per minute counted or whatever.

Or what are you referring to? :D

Mine is installing as I type. What's strange is I never received a notification an update had arrived. I just now got a notification it is installed. I am on here hoping to find the tech notes. I suppose I can just get it from the car now.

There should be a release note with the update. Based on the posts here, it is not a complete note though. I am still waiting for the update to arrive.

We're at the end of week 10 of 2019 tonight. So that update is 12 weeks old. And that's atypically long. 8 months is nonsense.

3 days later and 85% of the Model 3 fleet is on a 2019.5.x or higher release. Not quite 8 months... As I predicted, the overwhelming majority of the 3 fleet has been updated entering the Model Y unveil.

I had the bass missing after the update too, but it came back after the car slept following the first drive after the update. For me, phone as key works great now and used to only work about half the time.
So I have never experienced the loss of bass..... Before 2019.5.15. Now it's happened rwice. Both times I had to reboot the MCU to restore it. What's the recommend method to file a bug complaint to Tesla on this? Anyone else noticed this? It's pretty significant like missing half the speakers and tin-ney!

Not sure this has been noted... while the car is in motion, the Sentry Mode toggle appears to be active in the app (as opposed to most others that are grayed out as they should be).

Anyone want to test this? I’m not about to or GF will be possibly upset as she’s on her way to work. :D Wonder if it means Sentry will auto activate on parking?

Last edited:
So I have never experienced the loss of bass..... Before 2019.5.15. Now it's happened rwice. Both times I had to reboot the MCU to restore it. What's the recommend method to file a bug complaint to Tesla on this? Anyone else noticed this? It's pretty significant like missing half the speakers and tin-ney!
You can use the voice command feature and submit a bug report. (Say bug report and your problem).

Interesting. I have never lost bass either but I lost all audio for the first time. Reboot fixed.

I also noticed that this update was rather bumpy. When I got the notification on my phone I went to install it from the app and it had forced the app to log out. I thought the install had hung a few times with lots of long black screens. I went to the car and okayed it. Left it with a message that said updating. They often install much quicker than they say. I checked on it like 20 minutes later and it appeared like it was waiting for another ok. I forget what was on screen but what ever I did it seemed to help move it along and it went right into a reboot/ black screen. It was just a very odd install.

Your post and my new glitch makes me wonder if something doesn’t go right with the upgrade. Like a radio module out of sync with the rest because it didn’t get updated or something. Often updates like this are several modules for different subsystems.

After update I had to use password for app to get in.

I’m very tempted to do a factory reset. I often do on many gadgets after a major firmware update.

Interesting. I have never lost bass either but I lost all audio for the first time. Reboot fixed.

I also noticed that this update was rather bumpy. When I got the notification on my phone I went to install it from the app and it had forced the app to log out. I thought the install had hung a few times with lots of long black screens. I went to the car and okayed it. Left it with a message that said updating. They often install much quicker than they say. I checked on it like 20 minutes later and it appeared like it was waiting for another ok. I forget what was on screen but what ever I did it seemed to help move it along and it went right into a reboot/ black screen. It was just a very odd install.

Your post and my new glitch makes me wonder if something doesn’t go right with the upgrade. Like a radio module out of sync with the rest because it didn’t get updated or something. Often updates like this are several modules for different subsystems.

After update I had to use password for app to get in.

I’m very tempted to do a factory reset. I often do on many gadgets after a major firmware update.

Same here updating to 2019.5.15. I got in the car after the update completed and was reading the release notes and the screen went black. It came back on and acted normal. I put the car in reverse and as I was backing up the screen went black again and took a while to reboot. Once it rebooted my autopilot that I purchased for $2k was now active. Car has worked fine since, but I did have to log back into the app as well. I did a full floor acceleration from a stop light and I was taken by surprise as the car felt like it had more power. I did this a few times and it feels like it accelerates faster now. Only after I did this a few times did I remember the 5% power increase. So I don't think this was placebo, but the car does seem faster from a dead stop. I do not know why, and I'm sure this has nothing to do with the 5% power increase I may or may not get. Who knows, but I'm happy!

Only after I did this a few times did I remember the 5% power increase. So I don't think this was placebo, but the car does seem faster from a dead stop. I do not know why, and I'm sure this has nothing to do with the 5% power increase I may or may not get. Who knows, but I'm happy!

Why are you sure that faster acceleration has nothing to do with the 5% peak power increase?

Ahemmmm…..
Hey Garlan. I took delivery of my M3 LR RWD last Friday. It didn’t have the latest software or AP. I was told 4 to 6 weeks for the new software and AP. 2019.5.15 arrived after I took the car home and plugged it in and AP too. My experience with people at the store is that for the most part, they are as much in the dark as we are.

Reactions: outdoors
Loads immediately only if sentry mode is on because the car never goes to sleep mode. If sentry mode is off it takes the usual 30sec. to 2min. time, and sometimes not at all having to try again.
Thats not my experience. It used to take 1-2 minutes for my app to access the car, and it would time out like 30 - 40% of the time.

My car would also fully boot up (black screen ,tesla T 20-30 seconds before screen available), almost every time I was out of the car more than 5-10 minutes. Both of those issues are fixed for me since 2019.5.4+

There should be a release note with the update. Based on the posts here, it is not a complete note though. I am still waiting for the update to arrive.
You're absolutely correct! I did read that. It was very short, like 1 1/2 screens. It covered major features then went to "Previous Releases", again, major features. Sure, features are nice but fixes are nicer. I'd like to find out, the easy way, if a left lane exit will so befuddle the AP that it wants to auger into the V that separates the two lanes. Whether NoA still puts the driver in the passing lane doing posted speed limit. Etc.

My backup camera is black with this update. I have scheduled a service appointment to escalate getting a solution. I use the back-up camera everyday to get into my tricky garage, not having it is semi-dangerous. I am not waiting another 45 days for a software update to get this fixed.

My backup camera is black with this update. I have scheduled a service appointment to escalate getting a solution. I use the back-up camera everyday to get into my tricky garage, not having it is semi-dangerous. I am not waiting another 45 days for a software update to get this fixed.
It was after the last update, 2018.50? that I, intermittently, lost the camera. It had been rock solid up until then, although I do recall people saying they lost theirs intermittently prior to 2018.50. I only got the update yesterday so I'll cross my fingers.

Reactions: golfpilot

AP appears to be better at detecting lanes when passing by sections of road where there is no center or side line. The lane lines on the screen used to disappear when passing through a section of road where road lines are absent due to a crossing road. It now keeps lane lines on the screen which means to me it is getting better at looking further ahead and understanding there is still a lane when there is a temporary disruption in the painted lines.

3D non-p feels a lot faster.

Dash cam keeps giving the gray X. Broke dash cam.