Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had rain on way into work this morning... auto was fine in significant rain.

It was back to crap (wiping far too often) when it declined to mist/barely raining, so I had to turn wipers off and just do a stalk-push wipe every couple minutes the rest of the trip.

Still utter garbage compared to any car in the last 15+ years with a real rain sensor.

No rain at all yesterday. My windshield was clear. I was sitting at a traffic light pointing directly into the setting sun last evening just before sundown. Had to use the sun visor in order to see the left turn signal. My wipers started up! Went through three operations before I turned it off. Geez....

Had rain on way into work this morning... auto was fine in significant rain.

It was back to crap (wiping far too often) when it declined to mist/barely raining, so I had to turn wipers off and just do a stalk-push wipe every couple minutes the rest of the trip.

Still utter garbage compared to any car in the last 15+ years with a real rain sensor.

And it has worked perfectly for me in every rain storm I have encountered since delivery on 12/28/18. I just cannot understand what in the way they implement this makes it so inconsistent across cars...

And it has worked perfectly for me in every rain storm I have encountered since delivery on 12/28/18. I just cannot understand what in the way they implement this makes it so inconsistent across cars...

I don't know if it is inconsistent between cars as opposed to inconsistent drivers? One person may think the wipers are too slow, yet another person may feel the same speed is too fast. That is why they need the auto-wipers to be adjustable so you can have it exactly how you prefer.

Reactions: hoang51
I don't know if it is inconsistent between cars as opposed to inconsistent drivers? One person may think the wipers are too slow, yet another person may feel the same speed is too fast. That is why they need the auto-wipers to be adjustable so you can have it exactly how you prefer.

It is absolutely impossible IMHO to design an algorithm that will be perfect for every car in every light level in every kind of precip for every driver’s personal tatstes. For 75+ years we all drove just fine with manual wipers that had 2 settings (maybe 3). The M3 still has manual settings. Those are for when you don’t like what auto does.

If Auto doesn’t work for you, just use Manual, right? The angst and level of entitlement over this nonsense is just absurd to me.

I got 5.15 last week. Today was the first time it has rained since then.

I'm here to talk about something unremarkable. The auto-wipers...just....worked. I didn't have to hit the button to manually swipe. They didn't wait until my windshield was completely covered to swipe on their own.

THIS is the behavior auto-wipers should have had on release.

And now that I've said that, the next 3 updates will break it.

• Funny
Reactions: PoitNarf and wcorey
The angst and level of entitlement over this nonsense is just absurd to me.

It's a $50K+ car for some of us. There are $30K cars on the market that get this right. It's not entitlement. It's a value proposition. Tesla cut a corner by not putting in a dedicated rain sensor, then took almost 2 years getting something that is arguably a safety issue correct.

I noticed that the mirrors folded before putting the vehicle in park with auto folding mirrors based on location. The mirrors even tilt downward while folded. This is a problem if you are backing into a parking spot and you don't rely solely on the backup camera. Anyone else have this problem? I searched and found nothing.

It's a $50K+ car for some of us. There are $30K cars on the market that get this right. It's not entitlement. It's a value proposition. Tesla cut a corner by not putting in a dedicated rain sensor, then took almost 2 years getting something that is arguably a safety issue correct.

It is a car that drives and performs so much better than anything else in its price class. In my purchase decision, how the Auto wipers did (or did not) function would not have even made my Top 20 List of why I would or wouldn't buy the car. Auto wipers are a frill. There is no safety issue as long as there is the option of using the manual wipers if you don't like what the Auto setting does...

Yes, there are $30,000 cars with great Auto wipers. Would you really rather drive those? If sell, sell your M3 and buy a car with better Auto wipers. Problem solved. To me this whole line of thinking (and why I used the word "entitlement') is that people seem to genuinely think that anything less than perfection is unacceptable and that they should be delivered products that are perfect. It reminds me of those parents who have an amazing child -- brilliant, hard working, caring -- and the kid gets a D on one paper at school and they obsess about that one grade. Is the kid any less amazing because he or she is flawed (as we all are)?

Anyway, I completely respect your right to have a different opinion on this than I do.

Reactions: dfwatt and hoang51
It is a car that drives and performs so much better than anything else in its price class. In my purchase decision, how the Auto wipers did (or did not) function would not have even made my Top 20 List of why I would or wouldn't buy the car. Auto wipers are a frill. There is no safety issue as long as there is the option of using the manual wipers if you don't like what the Auto setting does...

Yes, there are $30,000 cars with great Auto wipers. Would you really rather drive those? If sell, sell your M3 and buy a car with better Auto wipers. Problem solved. To me this whole line of thinking (and why I used the word "entitlement') is that people seem to genuinely think that anything less than perfection is unacceptable and that they should be delivered products that are perfect. It reminds me of those parents who have an amazing child -- brilliant, hard working, caring -- and the kid gets a D on one paper at school and they obsess about that one grade. Is the kid any less amazing because he or she is flawed (as we all are)?

Anyway, I completely respect your right to have a different opinion on this than I do.

But unlike your child taking a test scenario, think of it as a basic proficiency that is suddenly missing.

Your child is now a PhD candidate, but can't spell his/her name.

Reactions: Perry
I noticed that the mirrors folded before putting the vehicle in park with auto folding mirrors based on location. The mirrors even tilt downward while folded. This is a problem if you are backing into a parking spot and you don't rely solely on the backup camera. Anyone else have this problem? I searched and found nothing.
That's a setting. Its called auto tilt. Just turn it off :)

the issue now is the bandwidth for OTA. If it's an Apple device, either your carrier is providing free data for iOS updates, or you're on wifi pulling it.

AFAIK, Tesla hasn't struck any "free data for updates" deals with AT+T.

I didnt mean that all updates should be delivered over cellular. Quite the opposite. If an owner wants to request an update, it should probably be restricted to wifi only. Apple devices do the same thing, you're not allowed to install OS updates on cellular.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I can't believe they haven't pushed the update yet. First Enhanced Summon and NOA without confirmation were supposedly going to be released before Christmas. I'm still waiting.... Second the 5% increase in performance was supposed to be pushed 2 weeks ago... I'm still waiting. I really would like Elon to stop making false promise. The wait is unbearable :p

I can't believe they haven't pushed the update yet. First Enhanced Summon and NOA without confirmation were supposedly going to be released before Christmas. I'm still waiting.... Second the 5% increase in performance was supposed to be pushed 2 weeks ago... I'm still waiting. I really would like Elon to stop making false promise. The wait is unbearable :p
If Elon became reliable I wouldn’t even know how to react. That would be like HR getting rid of idiotic rules, or the Bay Area housing market not being a horrifying ripoff.

that was at least a 2 motion setting that involved you looking away from the windshield in what might have already been reduced visibility.
Really? You're gonna go with that? Perhaps a Tesla is not for you. I don't have auto set, I have no problems getting the windshield wipers running on intermittent, slow or fast WITHOUT fear of a cataclysmic accident.