Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 46.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pushed the button of the Super Charger cable to unplug my P3D+. The tesla "T" that normally flashes green was now red and the cable wouldn't come out.

I called Tesla Customer support and selected that I had a roadside emergency - which was true because I was on what I called the roadside.

Immediately Customer Roadside Support indicated that I should pull the cable release located in the trunk right behind the charge port. I pulled it - and it released.

I've never had this issue before...I wonder if there is a problem with the "winter" updates that comes with the latest 44.x update that I loaded 2 days earlier.

I had the same issue with my P3D here in Denver just after an update. Had to use the manual release to get the plug out. Also had a clicking noise from the port like it was trying to engage even after I unplugged. Took it to the service center this morning without an appointment. They tried their supercharger and had the same issue. They put it in the fast lane and replaced the charge port in about an hour.

I called Tesla Customer support and selected that I had a roadside emergency - which was true because I was on what I called the roadside.

That isn't what emergency means. This is why people with emergencies are also waiting 20-30 minutes on hold.

But less obvious, do a reboot of the car while connected to you WiFi.

Directly from Tesla, they add VIN to the list to receive a particular firmware version. If you're not on the list, no amount of rebooting or throwing chicken bones is going to cause you to get the update. Parking the car and plugging it into your charger causes the car to begin uploading data to Tesla and checking for any updates, so you don't have to keep rebooting. Finally, the car wakes itself up occasionally to check, so you can just wait for the car to get it. It'll check at least once a day if it's plugged in.

I am well aware the technician could know something else about my car.

Ok, so that's basically that then.

However when he answered and asked my problem, and I began to describe the issue, he rudely cut me off and asked for my number so he could call me back later with a scheduled service date.

No need to hear the whole story if all he's going to do is schedule something for you.

Yes, there could be a problem with my charge port.

Seems likely.

However other reports of issues after the cold weather update make me believe it could very likely be software related. Simply trying to address it with software before I drive 1.5 hours to the nearest service station, or have Tesla spend their resources coming to me.

Right, but if there's no update to apply even, then they won't be able to resolve it with software. Even if it was a software problem. So, the sensible thing is to put you on the schedule before all the other spots fill up. And in the mean time, if there's software available that addresses charge ports staying locked and erroring, they'll push that and maybe it'll fix your issue.

A few weeks ago I received a "winter update". It was not 46.2 and I cannot recall the version.

44.2 is when the winter update came. 46.2 is a follow on release which has added no further release notes, meaning it likely fixed bugs.

On Friday I installed 46.2 which the release notes also called a "winter update" and I've had issues since. Since @Garlan Garner also has the exact same issue I had with the recent software, it further increases my belief it is a software issue. However, I could be wrong.

Two anecdotes don't count as data, though. That's the point.

Of note, I did unplug the factory UMC from the wall before pulling the manual release. I didn't want to risk an electrical arc. Pic of the release pull tab is below.

You don't have to worry about an arc. The battery is fully disconnected from the charge port unless it is actively charging.

There was also the episode in October when Tesla servers were having issues: EAP didn't work for most of the day, and neither did auto-wipers.

Neither EAP nor auto wipers require a connection to Tesla. They use the onboard systems to drive and identify precipitation on the window to be wiped.

Directly from Tesla, they add VIN to the list to receive a particular firmware version. If you're not on the list, no amount of rebooting or throwing chicken bones is going to cause you to get the update. Parking the car and plugging it into your charger causes the car to begin uploading data to Tesla and checking for any updates, so you don't have to keep rebooting. Finally, the car wakes itself up occasionally to check, so you can just wait for the car to get it. It'll check at least once a day if it's plugged in.

First of all, most of the time you will get 5 different answers from 5 different people at Tesla, so “directly from Tesla” means dick.

Second, nobody is saying you’re going to get the update until the system pushes it out. But there have been numerous documented situations whereby people can’t get updates because their car is having connectivity issues getting back to Tesla. My only point was the rebooting your car can sometimes resolve those connectivity issues. But since you’ve got it all figured out you just do whatever you want.

I can try right now but let me know what was the issue and how I can try to replicate?
Basically the sound system bass is almost non existent in the rear seats and in the front the bass sounds muddy (like subwoofer is off, there’s no low end).

Also some have said that even the mid range sounds less crisp/clear prior to the 42/44 series updates...

Easiest way to test is to sit in rear seats and play a couple of songs with notable bass... try turning bass up and down on EQ to see if you notice any change. Should be pretty obvious (ie no need to listen carefully... )

Basically the sound system bass is almost non existent in the rear seats and in the front the bass sounds muddy (like subwoofer is off, there’s no low end).

Also some have said that even the mid range sounds less crisp/clear prior to the 42/44 series updates...

Easiest way to test is to sit in rear seats and play a couple of songs with notable bass... try turning bass up and down on EQ to see if you notice any change. Should be pretty obvious (ie no need to listen carefully... )
Yes this. No updates from anyone who has the update as to whether this is fixed or not?

That isn't what emergency means. This is why people with emergencies are also waiting 20-30 minutes on hold.

Right, but if there's no update to apply even, then they won't be able to resolve it with software. Even if it was a software problem. So, the sensible thing is to put you on the schedule before all the other spots fill up. And in the mean time, if there's software available that addresses charge ports staying locked and erroring, they'll push that and maybe it'll fix your issue.

Like @Garlan Garner, I also indicated this was an emergency. An emergency is a serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action. While this was not a dangerous situation, it was unexpected and required immediate action. My car was locked to the wall and I had places I needed to be. The car was disabled and in the moment I could not remember the manual release. Emergency support could have walked me through the manual release and my issue would have been temporarily resolved and I would have been on my way. Later that day when I called regular support, the technician that said he would diagnose the situation over the phone rudely cut me off a few words into my sentence. Don't ask me to explain my situation then cut me of like you don't care.

Tesla Service did contact me yesterday. They asked me to explain my situation and after hearing I was on 46.2 they said they were not going to replace the charge port. They said they are forwarding this to Tesla Virtual Service. Apparently there were other similar situations they are dealing with as well. More than two anecdotes. I don't want them to replace my charge port, wasting my time and their resources, if it is software.

I have not had the issue since. I'll post back once Tesla finally comes up with a solution.

I admit to a couple of things...
1) I'm an idiot when it comes to anything software oriented.
2) I'm not the most patient person.

I just went from 42.2 to 46.2. Haven't had a chance to really check it out yet. Can anybody give an old, half deaf, overweight, lazy, well meaning guy a short synopsis of what should be different? That, or you can tell me and I'll pass it on to him. LOL!

Dan