Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s fair. I wonder what the non premium version is going to look like? I can’t imagine haha.

I can. It will look identical on the outside and not have the following features:

Premium Upgrades
  • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones

That’s fair. I wonder what the non premium version is going to look like? I can’t imagine haha.
I can imagine - cloth seats, solid roof over driver and front passenger, standard C.C., no seat memory, etc. but it will have the same U.I., SR range, FSD compatibility, same handling and acceleration and interior dimensions, access to Supercharger system. It will be the best $35000 car you can buy.

Idea of premium package is to separate expensive stuff from non-expensive stuff to allow more
price sensitive customers afford the vehicle in the first place.
Ideally, only expensive stuff should be removed if no premium package has been opted. Unfortunately,
often (and in case of Model 3 as well) some not expensive stuff is also removed.

• Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
Well, material can be costly, though non-leather materials are usually not (compared to cloth).
Real wood panels are expensive to manufacturer. Even one big one can add 100-200€ to manufacturing cost.
USB ports are not expensive. Making two different parts as wirings is even more expensive for manufacturer than offering
only one version that has those ports.
Seat heating is usually standard on most EV's. It's not reasonable to offer version without. Manufacturing price difference is marginal (100€ per seat, 300€ total).
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
Electrically adjustable seats (especially with more than 6 directions) are more expensive (500-1500€ extra per pair). Electrically adjustable steering column is slightly more expensive compared to manually adjustable (100-200€). Manually adjustable mirrors are lost in history.
It's reasonable to believe base seats will have 6 directions, manually adjustable.
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
Quality speakers and amplifier do cost money. Standard audio should have at least 6 speakers and no sub with average amp.
Glass panel does cost more than sheet metal, but it's weird to remove that part due to huge rear window. That also costs money and can't be removed.

Dimming mirrors cost significantly more than regular ones. 200-400€ per 3 mirrors. Power folding mechanism costs very little (like 50€)
Side mirrors that are not heated is almost not acceptable on modern vehicles, that includes cheap ones.
They add almost no extra cost (5€ each). It's reasonable to believe dimming function will definitely be premium option.
  • LED fog lamps
Cost is marginal. Functionality is also marginal. Somewhere around 100€ per vehicle.

Hardly premium feature. If not opted for that package, supposedly open storage compartments with USB ports will be used. Therefore fingerprint magnet surface will end with cupholders.

Summing that all up, $5000 is pretty close to the real value. Slightly too much (mostly due to "premium materials" not being premium enough).

same handling and acceleration.

I understand that the acceleration of the SR version will be slower. 0 to 60 in 5.6 seconds for SR instead of 5.1 seconds for LR. Also the battery charging will be slower in the SR model versus LR.

An interesting choice for me is whether to get:
- SR model with base interior and dual-motors (price unknown).
or
- LR model with single RWD motor at $49K.

I'm trying to avoid paying for the $9K upgrade to LR battery, but I'm concerned that the SR base model will not be available in time to leverage the full $7500 federal tax credit. I wonder if they will offer SR+PUP or SR+dual-motor in time for full $7500 tax credit (I'm day 1 line waiter). Either way I'm placing my order whenever SR base model is available, or for whatever cheapest model is available 8 weeks before full tax credit phases out. Whichever comes first.

An interesting choice for me is whether to get:
- SR model with base interior and dual-motors (price unknown).
or
- LR model with single RWD motor at $49K.
Good questions with unknown answers.

As a result of an Elon Tweet that AWD option for model 3 will be less than the MS which is $5000, some people are estimating that AWD option for 3 will be in the $4K to $5K range. So a base 3SR with AWD would be less than $40,000.

@Troy, a very smart guy, has speculated that a 3SRD (AWD) with 18" aero wheels would have a range of around 240-250 miles and a 0-60 speed in the low 5's.

I will be getting my invitation soon. I am going to defer for as long as possible (September) to see what develops in the meantime. If a 3SRD becomes available with 250 mile range and 0-60 in 5.0 seconds for $39,500, I won't be able to get the cash out of my pocket fast enough! I'll take two please. :D

Reactions: dhrivnak
Well, material can be costly, though non-leather materials are usually not (compared to cloth).
Real wood panels are expensive to manufacturer. Even one big one can add 100-200€ to manufacturing cost.

Unlike many other cars with wood trim, the Model 3 has one strip of laminate "wood looking substance" and nothing else.
So, I suspect the costs of Model 3 "wood trim" are minor compared to other cars you have considered.

Reactions: arnis
I was talking about compared to other brands (not comparing to Model S). When I think of wood trim, I think of on center console, shift levers, steering wheel, door handles, etc.

wood2.jpg

Model 3 version of "wood trim" is very minimalist.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Yes, agreed. I was just responding to the comment that M3 PUP could have "100-200€" worth of Wood trim.
I would suspect that "woodlike sticker" in M3 is a teeny fraction of that amount.

With that said, I must have PUP for better stereo and glass roof at a minimum.
I wouldn't even care if they didn't apply that wood sticker to my M3 dash.

I wouldn't even care if they didn't apply that wood sticker to my M3 dash.
It isn't a wood sticker, it is a thin veneer of real wood. But I agree, that wood trim is incongruous with the beautiful minimalist interior. I will be doing something different with that area that will be more compatible with the interior design. I wonder, what is underneath that wood trim????? ;) It will be interesting to see what the wood trim becomes with the white interior.

I can. It will look identical on the outside and not have the following features:

Premium Upgrades
  • LED fog lamps

I just meant that a non premium looking interior in a Tesla doesn’t really exist. Not sure what to really expect. Although I guess textile seats do exist right? I’ve never even looked closely at an S or an X because I can’t come anywhere near affording them.

I just meant that a non premium looking interior in a Tesla doesn’t really exist. Not sure what to really expect. Although I guess textile seats do exist right? I’ve never even looked closely at an S or an X because I can’t come anywhere near affording them.

S and X are way out of my league as well! Honestly I believe the non-PUP will look great. I’m actually a fan of quality fabric seats. A lot of PUP is ‘nice to have’ certainly not ‘must have’ for many people. The cool thing, as with all Tesla’s, is the exterior should be identical. Great looking car!
I just re-read my original reply to your post. I didn’t mean for it to sound that way. Apologies if you took offence.

Look closely at the seam where they bent it to stick it to the plastic:
View attachment 286071

I guess it is just semantics. Maybe it is real wood, but it is thin/flexible/glued/stuck on like a "sticker".

I’m pretty sure the wood paneling in other cars of the same price range is no thicker. It’s definitely real wood in the Model 3, and feels nothing whatsoever like a wood-like sticker. The main difference in the picture of the car you showed above is that it has a thick coat of plastic resin over the wood veneer to make it glossy.

Reactions: T34ME
It looks to be veneer. A very thin veneer. I think germans use thicker veneer. But it absof**kalutetly doesn't matter.
TBH, I don't count that as a premium option. This one piece. But it still costs way more to manufacture compared to plastic panel.

Premium seats? Don't think so. AFAIK, Tesla has not shown a single premium seat material to this date.
White interior feels premium to touch, but it doesn't cope with normal use, removing that "premium" label.
Yes, 12 way seats are something I would like. Though it is "good", not excellent. Appropriate for Model 3, not S/X.
Would like, definitely. Though I'd consider above average insulation be part of this audio feeling. It's not.
Yes, if it had a shade. But it doesn't. Not due to heat, but due to heat loss.
Exterior mirror dimming is slightly premium. Overall, this is very modest piece to "premium".
  • LED fog lamps
Not having that is cheap. Having them is fine. Far from premium. AFAIK, they are mostly for looks. Very few manufacturers
actually make fog lights for fog.
Has nothing to do with premium. Just a feature.

Things I miss from premium package:
Better color choice,
steering wheel heater,
rear sunshade,
rear door sunshades,
roof shade,
better sound insulation,

I just browsed BMW 3-series option list and found out, that the same options in premium package one-by-one on 3-series would cost nearly the same. 4000-4500€.

It looks to be veneer. A very thin veneer. I think germans use thicker veneer. But it absof**kalutetly doesn't matter.
TBH, I don't count that as a premium option. This one piece. But it still costs way more to manufacture compared to plastic panel.

I'm going put out a counter thought to the costs more. This piece is a full width Class A finish surface with a whole lot of flow/ structure things going on behind it. Adding an adhesive applied layer of wood may have been a faster and lower cost route than the amount of die tuning it would have taken to get all the sink and texturing right. May even have eliminated the need for a cover piece over the main structure.

It also looks like a metal piece in the air path, so there could be a metal to plastic overmold transition it is hiding.

Quick survey looks like a 3"×8' strip of self adhesive veneer runs $7-$10 on Amazon (based on 2x8 sheets and 3"x25' rolls)

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
S and X are way out of my league as well! Honestly I believe the non-PUP will look great. I’m actually a fan of quality fabric seats. A lot of PUP is ‘nice to have’ certainly not ‘must have’ for many people. The cool thing, as with all Tesla’s, is the exterior should be identical. Great looking car!
I just re-read my original reply to your post. I didn’t mean for it to sound that way. Apologies if you took offence.

No apology needed!

Things I miss from premium package:
Better color choice,
steering wheel heater,
rear sunshade,
rear door sunshades,
roof shade,
better sound insulation,
That's Elon's conundrum, everyone has a different definition of what "premium" is based on their personal wants and desires. Elon's trying to make a car that is relatively affordable, relatively profitable, and relatively "premium." I don't fault what is on your list but those items/features are not on my list. For example, I define seat memory profile as "premium" and the model 3 has that. I define a high tech ventilation system as "premium" and model 3 has a feature that no one else has. I define an all glass roof as "premium" and the model 3 has that. I define a FSD capability interface as "premium" and model 3 has something no one else has. I don't expect anyone to agree with my list; I am personal and unique.

I guess Elon took the suggestion from Ricky Nelson in the Garden Party lyrics, "You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."

Reactions: Pkmmte and mongo