Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol why is anyone driving over 136mph?

Also, interesting that all of the PSI ratings are 42. I swear I have seen some 45s on the tags in the driver door

Tesla changed the suspension after complaints about the ride quality, maybe they lowered the 45 to 42 for the same reason. But then had to put high speed warnings for those that lower it from 45 to 42, they have to put it back up to 44 or 45 when doing their super high speed driving.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I wouldn't be surprised (nor disappointed) if the base model had manually-adjusted seats. Initially.

I might expect that they'd do this to
a) encourage a few more people to tick the PUP box; and
b) so that later on, if production ever actually starts to approach demand, they can make power-seats standard, so as to compare more favourably with competition.

Am I right in that Tesla has frequently modified (improved, generally) aspects of the Model S without great fanfare? Made options into standards?

Yeah now that I write it, point b) doesn't seem so likely anymore...

Help! My work colleague rents a single car garage in SF for his Mini. He has about 2 inches from the edge of the mirrors to the jamb. He has a late 2016 M3 reservation, and is terrified that it will not fit because the car is 6 inches wider than his Mini. He is not on TMC yet. I am because of our Ms and MX. I use Summons to park our MS and MX all the time. The cars park with their mirrors folded. Maybe he can do the same and fit in his current garage...Query: what is the narrowest opening an M3 will park itself on Summons? Thanks in advance. John in Santa Rosa

I just did a ctrl-F search for "premium" in the newest user manual PDF and I think I've found some answers or at least more information on the non-PUP cars.

• Pg. 7 - Mirrors won't auto-fold (maybe no motors)
  • Pg. 16 - Both "Center Console" and "USB Ports" sub-headings include "-Premium Package" at the end. Unclear what this really means other than something will be different.
  • Pg. 17 - No back of front seats storage pockets
  • Pg. 18 - Related to seat adjustment, not clear if it will be fully manual or just not the full 12 way adjustments
  • Pg. 35 - Steering wheel position adjustment section. Maybe manually adjusted in non-PUP? Hopefully not fixed
  • Pg. 38 - No side mirror heaters, no mirror auto-tilt
  • Pg. 45 - No "signature lights" on edge of headlights, no fog lights
  • Pg. 85 - Seems to confirm front seats will be heated
  • Pg. 159 - In the index only Lumbar adjustment has a "premium" tag, maybe the non-pup seats will still be power adjusting, but only 6 or 8 way

Anyone know if it's related to the new vegan material the seats are being made out of? Cannot have tiny holes in it the way leather can?

-Randy
My X is ventilated seats, ultra white vegan leather and they’re perforated. But yes, I believe they had problems with the perforations causing tearing, and that contributing to discontinuing the ventilated seats. The other, bigger reason in my mind, is that they were fairly ineffective. My wife swears by them, but I don’t thi k they do hardly anything, and the noise is annoying when they’re on full blast. I wish my seats weren’t perforated, both for tearing potential, and for the occasional spill of liquids or dirt going through them into the seat (I have 4 kids. Been with strict rules, it’s inevitable).

upload_2018-5-19_21-48-53.png

More details at Electrek Tesla unveils faster and more powerful Model 3 dual motor AWD and Performance versions

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor All-Wheel-Drive
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that the new dual motor Model 3 vehicles are equipped with a front AC induction motor to complement the switched reluctance, partial permanent magnet motor at the rear.
  • Range: 310 miles
  • 0 to 60 mph acceleration: 4.5 seconds
  • Top speed: 140 mph
  • Price: $5,000 for AWD option
That compares to the rear-wheel-drive version’s official 0-60 mph time of 5.1 seconds. Tesla is listing the same top speed and range as the single motor version.

Tesla Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel-Drive
The performance version features the same motors (AC in the front and permanent magnet in the rear) as the dual version, but they are picking the highest rated ones with double the burn-in process to make sure they can handle a higher output. Musk also said that the performance version will feature a carbon fiber spoiler, 20” Performance wheels, and black and white interior options. He claimed it will be 15% quicker than the BMW M3 and with better handling, and “will beat anything in its class on the track.”
  • Range: 310 miles
  • 0 to 60 mph acceleration: 3.5 seconds
  • Top speed: 155 mph
  • Price: $78,000 (without autopilot)
We don’t see the option being available in the design studio yet, but Musk says it will be up for “early reservation holders” tonight.

About the AWD Electrek's Fred Lambert writes:
"One thing that is somewhat surprising is that Tesla isn’t listing any range improvement".

I agree, especially since about the two motors Elon Musk stresses:
"One is optimized for power & one for range".

Is Musk maybe understating the range of the AWD, similar to somewhat understating the 0-60 mph time?

About the AWD Electrek's Fred Lambert writes:
"One thing that is somewhat surprising is that Tesla isn’t listing any range improvement".

I agree, especially since about the two motors Elon Musk stresses:
"One is optimized for power & one for range".

Is Musk maybe understating the range of the AWD, similar to somewhat understating the 0-60 mph time?

The 3 already has the motor optimized for range. As it is, they will be binning the drive units in the P for maximum efficiency.

The 3 already has the motor optimized for range. As it is, they will be binning the drive units in the P for maximum efficiency.

Electrek's comment on the range cited above is specifically for dual motors over single motor, so not implying P. And per Musk's tweets, the AWD range is unchanged both with and without P. Surprisingly.

It is quite possible that the single motor M3 is optimized for range. Motortrend lists the single motor reduction ratio as 1:9,
Tesla Model 3: 2018 Motor Trend Car of the Year Finalist - Motor Trend .

Now, with Musk's statement "One is optimized for power & one for range" the two motors in the 3 cannot be configured identically.

The Semi uses M3 (-like) motors configured with two (very) different reduction gear ratios (1:15 vs 1:23). So Musk's statement sounds a lot like the 3 will also have different reduction ratios on the front and the back. (Feel free to mention how this difference in the 3's motor configuration can be achieved with something else than with the reduction ratios.)

I am then surprised that such a configuration would not allow for longer range compared to the single motor configuration, also when that has a reduction ratio optimized for range. Basically, having two well-chosen gears should always allow for more economic driving that a single (well-chosen) gear.

I guess getting the reduction ratios for the AWD M3 front and rear motors would help.

Also, what about AWD regenerative braking power?

In principle, the AWD regenerative braking power can be twice as high as the single motor one. The AWD could exploit this to gain extra range over the single motor on routes where significant braking is needed.
In a single motor Model S I saw regenerative braking at up to a bit over 60 kW, so about half the supercharging power.
Dual motor braking should be able to double that without stressing the battery and without needing more road vs tire friction, leading to longer AWD range on a route where the single motor variant would need to engage the traditional brakes, e.g. during a steep descent.

Last edited: