Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said you could have one for $35,000, but he didn't say when. ;) All kidding aside, I think the $35,000 one will start selling in the first half of 2019, after the first production model allows Tesla to have a few profitable quarters to assuage investors.

Yeah I hope so. I don’t think it will be great for hopefuls to have to choose between long range or PUP and autopilot. Both LR and those two packages keep it out of reach for a lot of us.

D2D503B6-62C4-4849-9CB6-2C2DFCCF2792.jpeg
C72C7813-5A34-45C9-9376-65EDEBEFAF82.jpeg
Saw a few people ask about the height difference between the 18” and 19” on the Model 3, I broke out the tape measure while dropping off a few flats at the service center and it looks like both are 2” 1.5” was in height so same rolling diameter.

Attachments

• D74A800F-47C9-4927-9794-6ED4F3B17B99.jpeg
    D74A800F-47C9-4927-9794-6ED4F3B17B99.jpeg
    614.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 31F37510-53D2-429B-BB9E-036F3AB7DBD6.jpeg
    31F37510-53D2-429B-BB9E-036F3AB7DBD6.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Reactions: dhrivnak and 03DSG
.07 difference not bad as I was using a tape measure.

One other variable I didn’t add is tread depths. The Conti is 9/32” and the Michelin is 8/32”. This would put it closer to .10”. Essentially the same size for all practical purposes.

FYI. The math for 235/45/18 (or any other tire)

235x2 = 470mm
470x45% = 211.5mm
211.5 divided by 25.4 = 8.326”
8.326”+18” = 26.33”

The different wheels should have the same outer dimension so the odometer and speedometer work right. That's why the larger tires are lower profile.

On my last car, the tires that came with the car became unavailable so I had to go with a slightly lower profile tire with the same rim size. The speedometer ran about 5 mph above the actual speed of the car for the rest of the time I had the car.

The different wheels should have the same outer dimension so the odometer and speedometer work right. That's why the larger tires are lower profile.

On my last car, the tires that came with the car became unavailable so I had to go with a slightly lower profile tire with the same rim size. The speedometer ran about 5 mph above the actual speed of the car for the rest of the time I had the car.

Yuck, so your miliage based wattsntee expired 10% early?

Matched tire sizes were more important when cars had mechanical speedometers with gear drives off the trans tailshaft. Modern vehicles have a calibration value to equate encoder ticks to distance (still easier to avoid changing by using equivalent sizes).
Previously useless factoid: OEMs/ tire suppliers have a tire rolling machine (think single wheel dyno) to simulate vehicle loading to create the calibration value. That handles the issues of sidewall flex and non-circularity when in operation.

It would be nice if a car like the Model 3 could use GPS to recalibrate the speedometer over time, so that tire changes were never an issue.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Yuck, so your miliage based wattsntee expired 10% early?

Matched tire sizes were more important when cars had mechanical speedometers with gear drives off the trans tailshaft. Modern vehicles have a calibration value to equate encoder ticks to distance (still easier to avoid changing by using equivalent sizes).
Previously useless factoid: OEMs/ tire suppliers have a tire rolling machine (think single wheel dyno) to simulate vehicle loading to create the calibration value. That handles the issues of sidewall flex and non-circularity when in operation.

I'm not sure if "wattsntee" is a typo or some term of art. My last car was a 1992 Buick I bought new. It still had the mechanical system for the odometer and speedometer. The odometer and trip meters were the old school rolling numbers and you reset the trip meter by pushing in a mechanical button on the dash. It came with 235R15s and when I did the last tire replacement around 2010 or 2012, the only tires that size still on the market were for 4X4 trucks with off roading treads. I can't remember if I was able to find 225R15s or if I had to go with 215R15s. I know the 215R15s in regular car tires were still available. I was actually able to find some quite good Michelins for the car.

I'm not sure if "wattsntee" is a typo or some term of art. My last car was a 1992 Buick I bought new. It still had the mechanical system for the odometer and speedometer. The odometer and trip meters were the old school rolling numbers and you reset the trip meter by pushing in a mechanical button on the dash. It came with 235R15s and when I did the last tire replacement around 2010 or 2012, the only tires that size still on the market were for 4X4 trucks with off roading treads. I can't remember if I was able to find 225R15s or if I had to go with 215R15s. I know the 215R15s in regular car tires were still available. I was actually able to find some quite good Michelins for the car.

Wow, yeah that was supposed to be warranty :confused:. I interpreted "the tires that came with the car" to mean that it was your first set of tires that had to be replaced with the slightly wrong size. Batting 0 on that post! :rolleyes:

Wow, yeah that was supposed to be warranty :confused:. I interpreted "the tires that came with the car" to mean that it was your first set of tires that had to be replaced with the slightly wrong size. Batting 0 on that post! :rolleyes:

I probably wasn't completely clear. Things lasted a long time on that car. The original battery made it 7 1/2 years and when I thought it was the battery that had gone, it turned out to be the alternator. The last time I had the transmission serviced the service manager said the transmission looked new inside. He offered to buy the car from me. Unfortunately he died of a heart attack about a year before I got my Model S.

But I did have to get tires a few times over 24 years. 40K miles on a set of tires wasn't that unusual. I think the last set of tires was prompted from the rubber showing cracks than the tread wearing away. I was working at home by then, so I wasn't putting as many miles on the car.

Elon said even the $35,000 version would be the best car you could buy for $35,000. Aside from it being an EV and being cheaper to “fuel,” it would be interesting to know what he thinks “best” means. Must not be included features.
I know what I think when Elon said the best car for $35000
  • no planned obsolescence with OTA improvements
  • car is designed for FSD
  • exceptional handling
  • exceptional acceleration
  • exceptional range for an EV
  • "feels like a spaceship" with central U.I. and mostly glass roof (even in base car)
  • generous interior dimensions for a car in this price range
  • availability and access to Supercharger system
Now I am sure you can find exceptions to each of the individual points above, but what Elon was talking about was the whole package in totality. No other car has all of those features for $35000.

I know what I think when Elon said the best car for $35000
  • no planned obsolescence with OTA improvements
  • car is designed for FSD
  • exceptional handling
  • exceptional acceleration
  • exceptional range for an EV
  • "feels like a spaceship" with central U.I. and mostly glass roof (even in base car)
  • generous interior dimensions for a car in this price range
  • availability and access to Supercharger system
Now I am sure you can find exceptions to each of the individual points above, but what Elon was talking about was the whole package in totality. No other car has all of those features for $35000.

That’s fair. I wonder what the non premium version is going to look like? I can’t imagine haha.

Reactions: Kacey Green