Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No more Metallic Silver and Black... Tesla to eliminate some paint options to increase production efficiency, gives last chance to order

In order to increase our production, delivery and service efficiency, we will be removing Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic as paint options from our online vehicle configurators for Model S, Model X and Model 3. This will be effective on Thursday, September 13, 2018, after which Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will be offered only as limited edition colors via special request at a cost of $2,000 only until Friday, September 21, 2018.”

Lol what the heck. They offered OBM for what a month? Oh Tesla.

Also, I know silver is not super popular but Kim’s (like Tesla) looks good and if I didn’t have a silver lancer for a decade I may have got silver as well. It hides scratches and dirt really well. I’m worried what my MSM is going to look like in a year or two.

F21A6753-E676-4C22-B108-14A15B2176CB.jpeg
Here are the max rated motor HP numbers ... not the power output of the battery and actual HP to the wheels :cool:

Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia

View attachment 319021
Updated awd, and performance torque numbers via Wikipedia. 470 ft lbs on P seems low,as I had a 2017 Dodge Daytona that had 485ft-lbs, and was low 4’s to 60 mph, and my 2018 Hellcat at 707 hp 650torque and was 3.5’s due to traction, and being a fat ass!

View attachment 333903
Updated awd, and performance torque numbers via Wikipedia. 470 ft lbs on P seems low,as I had a 2017 Dodge Daytona that had 485ft-lbs, and was low 4’s to 60 mph, and my 2018 Hellcat at 707 hp 650torque and was 3.5’s due to traction, and being a fat ass!

You have to look at the torque curve on the ICE vs. instantaneous on the EV :cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: 03DSG and Sg911
No more Metallic Silver and Black... Tesla to eliminate some paint options to increase production efficiency, gives last chance to order

In order to increase our production, delivery and service efficiency, we will be removing Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic as paint options from our online vehicle configurators for Model S, Model X and Model 3. This will be effective on Thursday, September 13, 2018, after which Metallic Silver and Obsidian Black Metallic will be offered only as limited edition colors via special request at a cost of $2,000 only until Friday, September 21, 2018.”

Glad I'm not the sort of person who cares about paint colours ;) I am, however, the sort of person who cares about that makes-water-glow-orange effect on the top glass, so I hope the cases of it being missing are a temporary fluke.

• Informative
Reactions: 03DSG
View attachment 333903

The i.e. Hellcat will make 650 of torque only at its most efficient rpm i.e. 4000. At 2000 or 6000 it will make less. An EV will make that Torque all the way from 1 rpm to about 18000 rpm or so. Looking at the horsepower rating isn't much better as for petrol cars it is just a snapshot at usually max rpm (or a bit less in diesels) which isn't relevant. What you really need to look at is the area under the torque curve which is huge for EVs.

This is actually relevant for some ICE too. I.e. BMW used to have their VANOS system on 6 cylinder engines in the 90s/2000s which would open up the fuel lines at high rpm so the engine doesn't get starved of fuel. The result is that the torque curve is a bit higher at the topend and you therefore get high(er) horsepower. So even though i.e. a BMW e46 might hav 180 horsepower it would actually be a bit slower in practice than another 180 horsepower car as the VANOS system is only relevant above 5000rpm.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The i.e. Hellcat will make 650 of torque only at its most efficient rpm i.e. 4000. At 2000 or 6000 it will make less. An EV will make that Torque all the way from 1 rpm to about 18000 rpm or so.

Normally, the motor back EMF reduces the voltage available to drive current across the stator resistance (reducing torque), and the pack has limit on how much power it can put out (power limit into rising back EMF causes reduced current/ torque).

Abnormally, if you use an oversized high voltage pack with well cooled motor, you could have a flat torque curve to red line.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

Not really that interesting. It's pretty near to 0 difference from stock.

As the article notes-

your source said:
While it is the new best time that we have seen on a Performance Model 3, you could even say that the difference is within the margin of errors

And he's clocking the times with rollout so it's not even much out of line with the Tesla-listed spec on the car.

Nice. Silver just became 'limited edition' and more expensive

Can't say I am surprised that obsidian black didn't catch on -- two variants of black, one of which costs extra?

I've noticed that silver is the least common color I see on cars at Supercharger Stations, so cutting that one doesn't surprise me either.

I do wish Tesla would introduce more actual colors besides red and blue, but it appears that's not going to happen.

I don't get it. They have to change color ANY WAY once in a while. Why not have like 1000 blacks, then 500 reds etc and have 1000 orange ones every two months -that takes exactly one day of that line. They have massive preorders, it's possible to fine tune every second of that paint line half a year into the future.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I don't get it. They have to change color ANY WAY once in a while. Why not have like 1000 blacks, then 500 reds etc and have 1000 orange ones every two months -that takes exactly one day of that line. They have massive preorders, it's possible to fine tune every second of that paint line half a year into the future.

They're trying to reduce wait times and required lot storage space, not increase them both.

Reactions: landis
Overall wait time hardly changes. I bet those who want orange will be glad to wait two extra months. Just because orange line will be active 2 months later. Also as soon as all oranges are ready, they all can be shipped.
There is no need to switch between colors daily.

Overall wait time hardly changes. I bet those who want orange will be glad to wait two extra months. Just because orange line will be active 2 months later. Also as soon as all oranges are ready, they all can be shipped.

Do you understand how big of a parking lot you need to hold 86 thousand cars? And the charging infrastructure to keep them all from discharging during that time? And the increased risk of weather damage due to storing all your inventory exposed during all that time?

This whole notion is just a gigantic NO.

Do you understand how big of a parking lot you need to hold 86 thousand cars? And the charging infrastructure to keep them all from discharging during that time? And the increased risk of weather damage due to storing all your inventory exposed during all that time?

This whole notion is just a gigantic NO.

What 86 Thousand cars? @arnis is talking about waiting till there are 1,000 requests for a color and then building and shipping them. Minimal storage overhead. If someone wants to wait 2 months for a color that's their call...

Reactions: lklundin and arnis
What 86 Thousand cars? @arnis is talking about waiting till there are 1,000 requests for a color and then building and shipping them. Minimal storage overhead. If someone wants to wait 2 months for a color that's their call...

He wrote, and I quote, "Also as soon as all oranges are ready, they all can be shipped."

Also, he's not talking about 2 month waits for a colour. He's talking about producing each colour for 2 months. There's more than two colours.

• Disagree
Reactions: mongo and arnis

Here's an idea.... Tesla needs to make a profit and has determined that paint is their current bottleneck. In order to be profitable they have eliminated (temporarily probably) their two least taken paint colors.

My thought process is they know better than us how much this will improve their production and delivery numbers for the remainder of 2018.

Reactions: Sg911 and cizUK