Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ (Europe) No Heat Pump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been getting mixed answers on this (including from Tesla) about the inclusion of the heat pump. I spoke last month to Tesla and was told yes the heat pump on the SR.

But today was told the 2021 Model includes all features EXCEPT heat pump, only the LR will have heat pump. When I asked if it was coming in the future I was told no. This was enough for me to not preorder the SR+ but I was wondering if anyone has heard otherwise? The information has been highly confusing but as I live in Norway the heat pump is a deal breaker and a driver for me to go a different EV route.

So I have been getting mixed answers on this (including from Tesla) about the inclusion of the heat pump. I spoke last month to Tesla and was told yes the heat pump on the SR.

But today was told the 2021 Model includes all features EXCEPT heat pump (yet), only the LR will have heat pump. When I asked if it was coming in the future I was told no. This was enough for me to not preorder the SR+ but I was wondering if anyone has heard otherwise? The information has been highly confusing but as I live in Norway the heat pump is a deal breaker and a driver for me to go a different EV route.

It is because Q4 SR+ variants are coming from China, these vehicles do not have the heat pump. Whereas LR and Performance which comes from US they have the heat pump. Some markets have seen lower prices of the SR+ for Q4.

Reactions: house9 and MP3Mike
tesla SC confirmed TO ME that my 2021 3 will have the heat pump. they wouldn't confirm anything else besides that and the new console/wheel selection. strange but i look at it like at a minimum the heat pump is in there.

The information has been highly confusing but as I live in Norway the heat pump is a deal breaker and a driver for me to go a different EV route.
As mentioned in the other threads, the heat pump is really not necessary in the TM3. We've had a 2016 Zoe, 2017 i3 and 2018 ioniq ev and 2019 TM3.
The Tesla is the fastest to heat. Especially since the app works immediately, unlike the BMW connect. With the Zoe you need to get close enough to start it with the key. With the Ioniq there's no way except with shcedule departure (I heard the 2020 ioniq has an app, haven't tried that one. But I get 150km on full charge in winter with the 2018 model so I won't ever find out either).

The heating technology in the TM3 is remarkably good.

And I'd like to repeat, there are 21 LRs on finn.no which are cheaper than a new SR+ with winter tyres. That's a much better choice unless new is important to you (which is totally fair)

What I find confusing is this. The first batches of SR+ that are coming from China are on route at the moment. If they are not the 2021 version then why would they produce such a small quantity at the 2020 spec (with LFP batteries) for Tesla China to have to so quickly switch over to the 2021 version? That would mean there will be a very small amount of a "middle specification" SR+ in European circulation (2020 spec with LFP batteries)

This is what I am assuming from what I have read but it makes not sense to me. For the China giga-factory to not produce the first batch of European spec SR+ as purely 2021. Logistically that sounds very inefficient to have such a change.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
The information has been highly confusing but as I live in Norway the heat pump is a deal breaker and a driver for me to go a different EV route.
It really depends on how you drive, where you drive and what your routine is. A heat pump is not a deal breaker and unless you live somewhere up north in Norway, it will not have much difference. Norway has a lot milder temperatures now due to global warming and the advantage of the heat pump will only make itself useful in the optimum -5C to 5C range and only if you drive slowly over short distance, then stop, let the car cool off and repeat. If you drive mostly norwegian highway, I would say the difference will be 5%-10% max. I will run a test on the new heat pump vs 2019 model and will see what the difference is soon.

What I find confusing is this. The first batches of SR+ that are coming from China are on route at the moment. If they are not the 2021 version then why would they produce such a small quantity at the 2020 spec (with LFP batteries) for Tesla China to have to so quickly switch over to the 2021 version? That would mean there will be a very small amount of a "middle specification" SR+ in European circulation (2020 spec with LFP batteries)

This is what I am assuming from what I have read but it makes not sense to me. For the China giga-factory to not produce the first batch of European spec SR+ as purely 2021. Logistically that sounds very inefficient to have such a change.

Leftovers they can't sell in China.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
As mentioned in the other threads, the heat pump is really not necessary in the TM3. We've had a 2016 Zoe, 2017 i3 and 2018 ioniq ev and 2019 TM3.
The Tesla is the fastest to heat. Especially since the app works immediately, unlike the BMW connect. With the Zoe you need to get close enough to start it with the key. With the Ioniq there's no way except with shcedule departure (I heard the 2020 ioniq has an app, haven't tried that one. But I get 150km on full charge in winter with the 2018 model so I won't ever find out either).

The heating technology in the TM3 is remarkably good.

And I'd like to repeat, there are 21 LRs on finn.no which are cheaper than a new SR+ with winter tyres. That's a much better choice unless new is important to you (which is totally fair)
It`s not necessary, but it will improve range in winter significantly. The point of a heat pump is not heating the car fast but using less energy. At auto setting the climate-consumption in winter in the TM3 is terrible. If you set it to manual and run fans at for instance 2 x vs windows and turn off AC when not needed it`s much better. Did some tests and compared with the kia Soul with heat pump and at 0C running climate at 19C the Kia Soul uses about 5% more energy with climate on vs off. The TM3 on auto uses around 15% more on long trips, with the manual settings extra consumption is only 5-10%. In city driving I have seen consumption up to 40% higher at auto vs 10-20% with the manual setting in my TM3. That requires a lot more charging in the winter for my part so a heat pump would be most welcome in my opinion :)

• Informative
Reactions: Maric