Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2023 rwd I took delivery of 2 weeks ago and got a bit of a nasty surprise. I was aware that LFP batteries struggle with range loss in the cold but never expected that to be an issue in Southern Florida. I drove 152 miles across the state with temperatures hovering between 44 and 53 degrees and a speed of 79mph on I75 and you can see the results in the photos. Teslas disclaimers discuss sub freezing temperatures but they need to expand disclaimers if this is a consistent experience. Some range loss was due to the speeds but most seems to be the cold or unaccounted for. Needless to say I needed an extra supercharger stop (152m each way). Also charging seed was limited to 50kwh wich sucked. Anyone else have similar experiences? At what temperatures do you start experiencing range degradation and reduced charging speeds (ex 60,50)?
Just did a trip back home. Was around 2c, precon the battery and cabin. Started at 100%. Drove 105km/h 98% of the time. Did 250km. SOC was at 16% when arrived home. I could probably do another 30km.

Our average wh/km was 175.

• Informative
Reactions: Randy-12
So leaving at 100% charged and plugged in will not damage the battery, but leaving at 100% and not plugged in causes damage?
The ”damage when left at 100%” is a myth.
There is actually a lot of myths around lithium batterys.

For starters, read the Tesla manual. If leaving the car at 100% would damage the battery, would’nt Tesla mention this in the manual with a note like “do not leave the car at 100% ? There is no such information or “do not” advice.

Next thing is research. From battery research we know quite much about lithium batteries.
There is no damage that comes from leaving the battery at 100%.
Calendar aging is what degrades the battery when it is not used.(Cyclic aging ages from charging and driving).

There is increased calendar aging at high SOC. But at normal temperatures the degradation is about the same as at 80-90%. In some cases 100% even cause (slightly) less degradation then 80-90%.

In very high temperatures 100% SOC cause more degradation than 80-90% but not with much. You need to leave the car for a long period to be able to measure the difference.
Look at the LFP Graph below. The lower tge SOC, the less degradation but you have a plateau at 80-100% that cause about the same degradation.
CD95395F-0EED-4B25-977F-59114A64DC6E.jpeg

The latest LFPs might have reduced calendar aging, but most probably the SOC dependency look about this anyway.

That said, leaving the car for one day at 100% is not causing any damage. It will cause about the same degradation as 80-90%.

Over a long period, if the battery is left at lower SOC each night, about 70% or less, this will reduce the calendar aging.
But as the LFP Teslas need to be charged to 100% on a regular basis to keep in count of the SOC, this is a must that has priority over keeping low SOC.
The data from the forst years of LFP in Teslas also show low degradation so there is not much to worry about.

Last edited:
Does leaving the car at 100% charged for a day cause any damage to the battery? Specs, 21 SR+ w/ LFP battery. TIA!
Not unless the car is exposed to high temperature. Having said that I still make an attempt to minimise the time spent at 100% with my LFP, within reason.

I’m back at 428km at 100% charge now @ 20k, after visiting QLD. Maybe the warmer temperature? Useless number I know, but it’s nice to see it go up and not down 😂

Reactions: DuncanM
40,000 mile (64,000 km) update for my Sep 2021 SR+ LFP. The car is now 16 months old and was originally rated at 253 miles on a full charge. The Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 52.4 kWh (down 4.1% from my original 23 Oct 2021 post of 54.6 kWh), and a max range of 243 miles (down 4.0% from my original range of 253 miles). I've had Tessie since my first day or two or ownership, so this data shows the entire life of the car. The curve on my car's degradation is definitely leveling out, and my rated range is actually the same as it was in my last updated (243 miles), so it seems to be playing out by the book, with the most severe degradation coming in the first year.
tessie.jpg

According to the car's screen, I'm now averaging 212 Wh/mi over the life of the car (down from 213 at the 35,000 mile update). Seasonal temps and driving style are HUGE when it comes to the car's efficiency. In the winter I can expect 240+ Wh/mi when it's below 30f, and in ideal temps (75-85f) I routinely manage under 200 Wh/mi on my 100 mile roundtrip commute. Assuming I could tap into the current 52.4 kWh battery at my lifetime average 212 Wh/mi efficiency, that gives me a real-world range of 247.1 miles. It's been fairly warm for most of the winter so far, so my lifetime efficiency has actually improved since my last update.
screen.jpg

My charging is mostly Level 2 from a Grizzl-E delivering 24 amps on a 40 amp circuit in my garage. I charge most nights due to a long commute, typically to about 70-80% a few times per week and a 100% once or twice a week. I do fast charge about once per week on average because I'm a beekeeper and I make honey deliveries across a few counties most weekends...I use both Superchargers and CCS chargers like Electrify America or Chargepoint, depending on which are more convenient at the time.

Tessie says I've spent $1,004.12 on electricity driving the car, while the same distance in my old Ford Focus would've cost $3,916.39 in gasoline. So my fuel costs have been 26% compared to keeping my old car. Assuming the average US emissions of 0.85 pounds CO2 per kWh, the 8.497 kWh used while driving equates to 7,222 pounds of CO2 spent driving my Tesla. If I'd kept my 2012 Ford Focus (37mpg), I would've used 1,081 gallons of gas to travel these 40,004 miles. At about 19 pounds of CO2 per gallon, that would've been 20,539 pounds of CO2. So I'm spewing 35% of the carbon emissions than I would've released in my efficient little Focus. As the grid moves toward more renewables, that should only get better over the life of the car. Also, my Focus would've had 230,000 miles on it now, so I'm pretty sure I'd have replaced it--in that sense, the argument that keeping the old car instead of buying a new EV has kinda vanished. Also, I sold my Focus to a guy who was looking for a fuel efficient car to replace his truck for commuting, so it was win-win as far as I'm concerned.
cost.jpg

I'll try to post another update at 45,000 miles. We should be at the tail end of the coldest part of our winter by then, so my efficiency will be taking a hit.

Aloha,
Our '22 M3 started out with 272 miles at 100% SOC. then it went to 267 at 100%, now 265. car is 5 months old and temperature isn't an issue here in Hawaii. we were told to charge to 100% at least once a week with the LFP. Any ideas why the range at 100% is dropping?
Mahalo

Aloha,
Our '22 M3 started out with 272 miles at 100% SOC. then it went to 267 at 100%, now 265. car is 5 months old and temperature isn't an issue here in Hawaii. we were told to charge to 100% at least once a week with the LFP. Any ideas why the range at 100% is dropping?
Mahalo
Because your battery is aging.

Aloha,
Mahalo
I received my car mid May 22. I'm now at 428 Kms at 100%. Which in miles is 266
Started at 438 kms which gives me about 2.28% degradation.
And I'm in a cold place.

You show the same 2.28%

I did a road trip from the west coast to Newfoundland and back with a new model 3 lfp. Lots of supercharging along the way. The car now has 20000km and gets the same 430km on a full charge. During the trip it very quickly dropped to 434km full charge and then reduced much more slowly.
Can I ask a Noob question on supercharging an M3 LFP? Do you in fact attempt to charge to 100% on the level 3 superchargers? Or is it a waste of time (as it slows down when it gets to 80%?). I see that the 80-100% charging takes roughly 40 minutes vs. 20-80% that takes 20 minutes?

I’d almost stop more often instead just to charge to 80% but I don’t know if that’s not great for an LFP battery.

Reactions: relaxjim
Can I ask a Noob question on supercharging an M3 LFP? Do you in fact attempt to charge to 100% on the level 3 superchargers? Or is it a waste of time (as it slows down when it gets to 80%?). I see that the 80-100% charging takes roughly 40 minutes vs. 20-80% that takes 20 minutes?

I’d almost stop more often instead just to charge to 80% but I don’t know if that’s not great for an LFP battery.
The fastest way to travel is to Supercharge enough to get to your next destination once the rate starts slowing down significantly. That's usually between 60-80% depending on the speed and distance to the next Supercharger.

If you're worried about accelerating battery degradation when doing this - I would not - these are relatively rare events unless you do a lot of Supercharging.

Even then, LFP cells are really good at handling deep cycles, so depth of cycle is not a concern with your car.