Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Real world range... 120 miles to and from Portal AZ to Douglas AZ via HWY 80 at +5 mph over the posted limit (Posted SL is mostly 65mph (105kmh)). Bare, dry roads 5-10mph wind, ~55F. 500ft elevation change.

average over 120 miles is 225whr/mile = 27kwh used and a real world range of 253 miles assuming 57 usable Kwhs. My 2022 M3 RWD still indicates 266 miles range on a full charge.

Reactions: Baluchi
Hello - sorry if this may have been asked in the community already. Got an M3 LFP 2022. What is the best practice in terms of charging if the car is parked in the driveway for 30 days (no access to it, car would just be in the driveway for 30 days)? Driveway has access to a 40a 240v outlet with a Tesla charging station. Should the car be left plugged in at 100% for 30 days? Or leave it plugged in at a lower SOC, say 80% and leave it at 80% for 30 days? Or leave it plugged in at 50% SOC and weekly increase it by 10% or so via the app and increase it by some % weekly so by the time 30 days is up the SOC would be 100%? Thanks for any input/insights you may be able to share.

Winter update: It's been -20C and below for quite a while, I thought I'd let people know how my LFP battery Model 3 RWD is doing.

Well, for one, range is down, obviously. Probably a combination of cold, snow, ice, and winter tires. Typically my summer efficiency is 140-150kW/km, but lately it's been 250kW/km. This gives me an effective range of 230km compared to a usual effective of 400km, so I'm looking at about 57.5% of my summer range, for all practical purposes.

Charging is obviously slower too, I charge using Level 1 "trickle charging" in a non-heated garage that gets to -5C or so, and it's actually pretty adequate, but if if charging efficiency drops below 60% (from typically 87%), I have to heat my garage to get a normal charging speed (2% per hour, on average), and it becomes cost prohibitive. So, I've taken to just not charging during the week, and on the weekend I hit the supercharger or DC fast charger. With a 5 min battery precondition I charge at about 30kW, gradually increasing to 55kW after 30 minutes. So, very slow. Luckily, below 50kW the charging is quite cheap, but then I hit the 51-100kW range and the $/kWh price goes up, so it's actually not worth charging over 51kW! So I stop and go home, the battery is usually warm after that for good Level 1 charging for several hours.

Performance is decent in the cold and snow, but it suffers the control issues of any other RWD in the snow. Braking does make the car "swim" a bit on the road, especially regen braking. If you let off the gas quickly it has a tendency to fishtail slightly, so make sure you let off very slowly. Braking distances are also much, much further on ice, so I do have to hit the regular brakes often, regen braking doesn't cut it. Otherwise, having good winter tires (Nokian Hakka R5s is what I have) is key.

Other things I noticed:

Turn off mirror auto-fold. Wipe off the rear camera all the time. Preconditioning for departure takes too much electricity (so I don't bother). And don't bother with scheduled charging unless the vehicle will warm up after several hours in the garage. If it cools, it's not worth it. And definitely turn of auto-wipers and drag the defrost button onto the quick settings tile, as you'll be hitting it a LOT. Too bad it doesn't "stay" blue, like the other buttons.

I'm also learning I can't wait for time-of-use charging for home charging, as well as $/kWh fast charging billing. Other than that, I'm very happy with my LFP Model 3 in the deep, cold winter!

Hello - sorry if this may have been asked in the community already. Got an M3 LFP 2022. What is the best practice in terms of charging if the car is parked in the driveway for 30 days (no access to it, car would just be in the driveway for 30 days)? Driveway has access to a 40a 240v outlet with a Tesla charging station. Should the car be left plugged in at 100% for 30 days? Or leave it plugged in at a lower SOC, say 80% and leave it at 80% for 30 days? Or leave it plugged in at 50% SOC and weekly increase it by 10% or so via the app and increase it by some % weekly so by the time 30 days is up the SOC would be 100%? Thanks for any input/insights you may be able to share.

The easy no hassle way for long term parking:
  1. Leave it plugged in set to 50% to minimize battery degradation from high state of charge and also to avoid self-discharge below 0%.
  2. When you get back, charge it to 100% just before you drive off to take care of BMS drift.

Winter update #2: It's is now -30C and the car "supercharges" at 22kW, even with a long precondition. It, in fact, gets SLOWER as time goes on, not faster, as I don't think the heater can keep up with how cold it is outside. I'm not sure I would even be able to charge if I wasn't heating my garage.

Driving around town, I get between 220-280Wh/km, sometimes as high as 300Wh/km for efficiency. Keep that in mind.

From what it looks like, I'm somewhere around 50% range loss, and charging speed reduced to 25% of the usual summer rate. Typically my car charges at around 80kW for most of the charge, peaking at 150kW for the first 15 minutes. This car is definitely going to struggle with winter road trips. Even going to the ski hill is not possible unless they have destination charging.

• Informative
Reactions: rudythecar
Winter update #2: It's is now -30C and the car "supercharges" at 22kW, even with a long precondition. It, in fact, gets SLOWER as time goes on, not faster, as I don't think the heater can keep up with how cold it is outside. I'm not sure I would even be able to charge if I wasn't heating my garage.

Driving around town, I get between 220-280Wh/km, sometimes as high as 300Wh/km for efficiency. Keep that in mind.

From what it looks like, I'm somewhere around 50% range loss, and charging speed reduced to 25% of the usual summer rate. Typically my car charges at around 80kW for most of the charge, peaking at 150kW for the first 15 minutes. This car is definitely going to struggle with winter road trips. Even going to the ski hill is not possible unless they have destination charging.

I suspect you should keep the car plugged in, even to an L1 charger, when parked in your garage; that should use less power than heating the garage, Can you charge at 120v/16amps?

No, I can't upgrade my outlets at all. The wiring won't tolerate it, I'd have to do a big investment in electrical upgrades.

Update #3: It's -33 and efficiency is about 300Wh/km. Effective range is less than half of rated. I just used 30% of my battery driving 50km. The car will not charge at all at level 1, I had to leave it in the garage for a few hours to warm up.

Got a 2923 M3RWD in 10/31 and it has about 1200 miles on it. I only did one 100% full charge from 30% once. Idk y drive it often and normally charge it from 30% to 60% or 70%.
I am going to drive a lot tomorrow so I am charging it to 100%. I have noticed the full charge would only have 270 miles vs the 272 miles from the brand new one.

Even it is only 2 miles degradation but I thought it is only 1200 miles and degradation should not happen that soon.

I am super OCD. Is this normal to have the battery degradation at do early stage?

Got a 2923 M3RWD in 10/31 and it has about 1200 miles on it. I only did one 100% full charge from 30% once. Idk y drive it often and normally charge it from 30% to 60% or 70%.
I am going to drive a lot tomorrow so I am charging it to 100%. I have noticed the full charge would only have 270 miles vs the 272 miles from the brand new one.

Even it is only 2 miles degradation but I thought it is only 1200 miles and degradation should not happen that soon.

I am super OCD. Is this normal to have the battery degradation at do early stage?
That's probably not degradation but a loss of BMS accuracy because you haven't been charging to 100% regularly, as recommended in owners manual. My 2022 M3 RWD shows 266 miles range with a full charge at ~15500 miles on the clock.

Reactions: theocguy

I would urge you to change the display to percentage instead of range. It will be open season for your OCD to do these calculations and worry something’s wrong becasue it’s a couple miles off. You will see fluctuations in many different readings. They‘re all estimates trying to incorpo many factors. Try your best to just enjoy the car and trust that it’s doing what it needs to to keep the car as healthy as possible for you. Becaause it is.

Reactions: theocguy
I would urge you to change the display to percentage instead of range. It will be open season for your OCD to do these calculations and worry something’s wrong becasue it’s a couple miles off. You will see fluctuations in many different readings. They‘re all estimates trying to incorpo many factors. Try your best to just enjoy the car and trust that it’s doing what it needs to to keep the car as healthy as possible for you. Becaause it is.
I am also using the % but I also check the miles vs % and calculate the ‘expected full charge mileages’.

I agree with you. Gotta need to enjoy the car and stop being OCD :). Thanks.

That's probably not degradation but a loss of BMS accuracy because you haven't been charging to 100% regularly, as recommended in owners manual. My 2022 M3 RWD shows 266 miles range with a full charge at ~15500 miles on the clock.
Thanks and I will do the 100% full charge regularly. In my case, I feel like once a week is too much as the car wil just sit on high SoC most of the time.

Update #4: It's now -40C and highway consumption is about 350 Wh/km, often over 400 in town. Also, when I close the car doors, the windows open slightly now?!?! And then it tells you in the app they're open, but if you try to close them with the prompt they actually open further?!? Ok, it does some real weird *sugar* now. Also, barely any warm air comes out of the vents, the heat pump is almost nonfunctional at this point.

Update #5: it is -32 but the car was out in the cold all day. Took it to the supercharger and it would not charge at all. Left after 25 minutes of battery warming with zero kWh added. Warning to all other cold weather people out there! I'd be completely ****ed if I didn't have a heated garage.

Hey all! Just picked up my Tesla MY RWD, what are your thoughts on my plan to charge this LFP?

Car is now on 100% and now I will drive it till it’s between 50% to 40% and then will charge it back up to 100%

Meanwhile during the week I will keep the charger plugged in but not charging as I have read somewhere this is the advice given from Tesla

Only issue with this is I have scheduled overnight charging so I will have to turn that off when not charging

Update #5: it is -32 but the car was out in the cold all day. Took it to the supercharger and it would not charge at all. Left after 25 minutes of battery warming with zero kWh added. Warning to all other cold weather people out there! I'd be completely ****ed if I didn't have a heated garage.
Did you preheat on the way to the supercharger? Did you use the nav system?

Reactions: AAKEE
Hey all! Just picked up my Tesla MY RWD, what are your thoughts on my plan to charge this LFP?

Car is now on 100% and now I will drive it till it’s between 50% to 40% and then will charge it back up to 100%

Meanwhile during the week I will keep the charger plugged in but not charging as I have read somewhere this is the advice given from Tesla

Only issue with this is I have scheduled overnight charging so I will have to turn that off when not charging
That's pretty much what I do with Tessie (see sig).

I see no reason to plug it in when not planning to charge it. Tessie is rarely plugged in while Nick is always plugged in.