Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
55,000 mile (88,500 km) update for my Sep 2021 SR+ LFP. The car is now 23 months old and was originally rated at 253 miles on a full charge. The Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 51.5 kWh (down 5.7% from my original Oct 2021 post of 54.6 kWh), and a max range of 239 miles (down 5.5% from my original range of 253 miles, and down one mile since my 50,000 update). I've had Tessie since my first day or two or ownership, so this data shows the entire life of the car.

Screenshot_20230725-181924.jpg
Screenshot_20230725-181943.jpg

According to the car's screen, I'm averaging 211 Wh/mi over the life of the car (1 Wh/mi better than it was at the 50,000 mile update). Seasonal temps and driving style are HUGE when it comes to the car's efficiency. In the winter I can expect 240+ Wh/mi when it's below 30f, and in ideal temps (75-85f) I routinely manage under 200 Wh/mi on my 100 mile round-trip commute. Assuming I could tap into the current 51.5 kWh battery at my lifetime average 211 Wh/mi efficiency, that gives me a real-world range of 244.0 miles.

PXL_20230725_231841672.PORTRAIT.jpg

My charging is mostly Level 2 from a Grizzl-E delivering 24 amps on a 40 amp circuit in my garage. I charge almost every day/night due to a long commute, typically to about 60% a few times per week and a 100% once or twice a week. I do fast charge about once per week on average because I'm a beekeeper and I make honey deliveries across a few counties most weekends...historically I've used both Superchargers and CCS chargers like Electrify America or Chargepoint, depending on which are more convenient at the time.

Driving the same distance in my old Ford Focus would've cost $5,241 in gasoline. It's impossible to do fuel cost comparisons anymore though, because my car is mostly sun-powered since I installed solar at my home. If I'd kept my 2012 Ford Focus (37mpg), I would've used 1,497 gallons of gas to travel these 55,407 miles. At about 19 pounds of CO2 per gallon, that would've been 28,443 pounds of CO2. Prior to getting solar, my carbon emissions were about 35% of what I would've released in my efficient little Focus. But now that I have solar, that number is near zero, and it's pushing the car's lifetime average down every day.

In other Tesla-adjacent news...after 2 years on the waiting list, we finally got Starlink earlier this week. We went from dial-up speed internet to actual high-speed internet, for the same price to boot. Starlink has its problems and I wouldn't bother if you've got good internet already; but for those of us in areas that are too rural for ISPs to bother servicing, Starlink can be game changing.

I also made the switch from Twitter to Threads, and if you're into social media crap here are some of the EV-related accounts I've found there: teslarati, electrek, teslamodel (this website's account), out_of_spec_studios, ev.edition, electrify_expo, tom.moloughney, and mkbhd. Let me know if you've got any more good Threads accounts to follow (nothing political please).

I'll try to post another update at 60,000 miles.

55,000 mile (88,500 km) update for my Sep 2021 SR+ LFP. The car is now 23 months old and was originally rated at 253 miles on a full charge. The Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 51.5 kWh (down 5.7% from my original Oct 2021 post of 54.6
Good post 👍

Full Pack When New was 55.4 I think?
(I’m with you on the Tessie numbers)

How’s your climate? (Where do you live, if you dont like to keep it a secret)

I’m thinking about calendar aging on the CATL LFP compared to the charts…

Temperate climate. I'm in Missouri, which is
Good post 👍

Full Pack When New was 55.4 I think?
(I’m with you on the Tessie numbers)

How’s your climate? (Where do you live, if you dont like to keep it a secret)

I’m thinking about calendar aging on the CATL LFP compared to the charts…
Temperate climate. I'm in Missouri near the center of the US. We are cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. Last winter was so warm here, though, that my lifetime efficiency actually dropped during our cold months.

Reactions: AAKEE
A data point for any interested:
  • 2022 Model 3 with LFP battery.
  • About 18 months old, 23k miles / 37k km.
  • Mostly charged at home to 60-70%, but approximately once per week to 100%, finishing shortly before departure on a day when at least 30% is expected to be used (so it ends the day at <= 70%). Recent road trip involved a lot of Supercharging, mostly from 10-15% to 50-60%.
  • Car shows 261 rated miles at 100% charge, about 4% less than 272 rated miles when new.
  • Scan My Tesla shows 57.5 kWh nominal full pack, about 5% less than 60.5 kWh nominal full pack when new.

A data point for any interested:
  • 2022 Model 3 with LFP battery.
  • About 18 months old, 23k miles / 37k km.
  • Mostly charged at home to 60-70%, but approximately once per week to 100%, finishing shortly before departure on a day when at least 30% is expected to be used (so it ends the day at <= 70%). Recent road trip involved a lot of Supercharging, mostly from 10-15% to 50-60%.
  • Car shows 261 rated miles at 100% charge, about 4% less than 272 rated miles when new.
  • Scan My Tesla shows 57.5 kWh nominal full pack, about 5% less than 60.5 kWh nominal full pack when new.
I just hit one year with my 2022 LFP. 8500 miles driven and 262 mi at 100%. Originally said 273 mi has shown 262 mi consistently after the 6 month mark.

I have not charged at any particular schedule. I get free charging at work so I mostly just charge to 100% whenever I go in. I will use tesla wall connector at home to keep enough charge until I next go into work. The car sat unused for 2 weeks at 20% and another 2 weeks at 40%. Supercharged 3 times.

• Informative
Reactions: Baluchi and Krisja
30k and 18 months update. 4.5% indicated range drop from new. Has plateaued for the past 6 months now. So it looks as if the rumour of most range loss in the first 12 months is true.

Also very happy with the LFP but having to charge to 100% on a regular basis can be a nuisance for us apartment dwellers.

Reactions: Baluchi
Also very happy with the LFP but having to charge to 100% on a regular basis can be a nuisance for us apartment dwellers.

One question about the "need" for the BMS to see 100% regularly to stay in sync with the true state of charge: if the state of charge is regularly allowed to get below 15%, will that also help the BMS stay in sync, since in that part of the range, the voltage curve is no longer flat?

Obviously, Tesla probably won't recommend that because some people may get range anxiety or have a higher risk of actually running out.

One question about the "need" for the BMS to see 100% regularly to stay in sync with the true state of charge: if the state of charge is regularly allowed to get below 15%, will that also help the BMS stay in sync, since in that part of the range, the voltage curve is no longer flat?

Obviously, Tesla probably won't recommend that because some people may get range anxiety or have a higher risk of actually running out.
The software is most probably resetting part of the ”unsure-about-SOC”-increased buffer at 100%, and that is a safe *fix* for knowing the energy.

And just driving at low SOC will not do it.
All driving even with the regular batteries is done by calculating the SOC, so for the BMS to enjoy the increased voltage slope you would need to park the car and leave it sleeping without sentry etc.

Reactions: karlos22
what about Bjorn Nyland the crazy Thai viking who does 1000km EV challlenges in the Arctic and who apparently got 4 Free Teslas?
The software is most probably resetting part of the ”unsure-about-SOC”-increased buffer at 100%, and that is a safe *fix* for knowing the energy.

And just driving at low SOC will not do it.
All driving even with the regular batteries is done by calculating the SOC, so for the BMS to enjoy the increased voltage slope you would need to park the car and leave it sleeping without sentry etc.
AAKEE....do you know Bjorn Nyland ?...you are both from the same region..both extremely knowledgeable about Teslas...when Bjorn does his 1000 km tests does he drive to your place for cocoa and prinsesstårta ?😉😎

Reactions: AAKEE
Hi,

Another data point for you guys. 2022 Feb M3. 95% AC charged and at minimum once a week to 100%.
Been using Teslafi since day1.

439km (272miles) when new. ~423 (262miles) currently at 37.000 km (23,000 miles). So about 3.5% degradation.

Seems the degradation has pretty much stopped now though.

The first 5.000km pretty much barely any degradation. Then 'big hit' from 5k (438) to 15k (431) and another chunk 15k to 25k (424), but 25k to 35k only to 423.

Attached image from Teslafi battery range.

Will update at 45k.

battery_test.png

Quick update for you guys,
2021 55kwh LFP MIC model3.
Odo: 46500km
Delivery 2021 aug.
100% when new 421km
100% now 402km
Tessie reports 51.2kwh
Pretty happy what i see, i mostly charge on AC 12ams one phase or 3phase, not every night.
I charge to 100% 1-2/month.
Interesting. I had the same numbers range wise both new and when I sold it 2 months ago from an April 2021 M3 but with more than double the kms at 90000. Definitely seems to point to calendar degradation rather than use!

• Informative
Reactions: Baluchi and DuncanM
Interesting. I had the same numbers range wise both new and when I sold it 2 months ago from an April 2021 M3 but with more than double the kms at 90000. Definitely seems to point to calendar degradation rather than use!
I’ve seen the same ‘degradation’ on a car the same age but with 230,000km on the clock. This is what lead me to start wondering whether the indicated range at 100% is just being reduced over time on these cars and has nothing to do with mileage, charging habits or perhaps even the actual battery health. (As in, maybe the car doesn’t even know the SOH) Plenty of folks report that the range ‘plateaus’ for quite a long time however, so this might be one argument against my theory.