Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually you have been very nice to the battery keeping the average state of charge pretty low. You might have a bit worse BMS calibration charging to 100% less often but you'll have less battery degradation. Keep it up.
Yeah I feel that maybe a life time average of 50% SOC might be good for the battery. Leaving it overnight at 100% all the time possibly isn’t though.

Reactions: DrChaos
Yeah I feel that maybe a life time average of 50% SOC might be good for the battery. Leaving it overnight at 100% all the time possibly isn’t though.
Above 70% to 100% cause about the same degradation per time unit at resonable normal temperatures. Calendar aging at 100% is not at all as bad as the forum rumors state.

That said, if staying at or below 70% the calendr aging is cut in about half.

Reactions: tgrobbo and DrChaos
there is no top buffer, and especially with LFP they need that final non-flat part of SOC vs voltage region to be accessible.
No there is no top buffer but "LFP's is harder to measure the SOC, Tesla sometimes increase the bottom buffer to make sure that it always is a margin of energy left at 0% displayed".....currently sitting at 2.4kw, usuable capacity 57.9kw. (420 klm displayed at 100%)

My 2022 model 3 with LFP battery charges to 259 at a 100%. A little over 11,500 miles. Tesla says the 2022 model should be 272. On my door it says 11/21. Confusing to me. So wondering is it really a 2021 but with the 2022 upgrades. I have the heated seats and steering wheel. Or is the range lost just that bad and a possible service call is needed.

Thanks for any insight.
Mine is 2023 m3 rwd and I just noticed when I charge at 100% it only has 260. I have the car for 10 months w 7k miles one it. I only charged the car for 100% 3 times so far. I have short drives daily and I only charge from 30% to 80%.

3 mo old 2023 Model 3 with 11k miles, thanks to free 3 mo Super Charging. :)
During the summer, my garage temp would be between 82F and 97F.
My 100% went down from 272 mi to 263 mi, so 3.3% degradation. Not sure if this is due to the high summer temp in the garage.

Free Super Charging ends in a few days, so I will be L2 charging at home and DCFC on trips.

Just topped up to 100% at home... showed 266 EPA miles at completion. Guess it's more like 2.2% degradation. Prior reading was from 100% on DCFC so the hotter pack might have made a difference.

I'm pretty new here, 4 month old M3 with 6764 kms

Recently installed Teslamate (unfortunately I did not know about it on day 1) and I noticed two very different in the two weeks I've been using this

Week 1: Est deg 1.2%
Week 2: Est deg .9%

It looks like BMS data can vary
My week2 100% charge was from 9% so perhaps we get better data from low SOC

I'm pretty new here, 4 month old M3 with 6764 kms

Recently installed Teslamate (unfortunately I did not know about it on day 1) and I noticed two very different in the two weeks I've been using this

Week 1: Est deg 1.2%
Week 2: Est deg .9%

It looks like BMS data can vary
My week2 100% charge was from 9% so perhaps we get better data from low SOC
The BMS estimates the battery capacity.
For different reasons the estimation can differ a bit from time to time.

The apps that tale the OTA information and use it, get SOC in whole numbers but range with good precision.
This induces rounding errors that cause their estimated range to jump up and down about a perfect of the total range.
Using scan my Tesla and reading the battery capacity, it can stay very steady and at the same time the teslafi/teslamate etc have it jumping up and down.

The teslafi range said 561.5km (but the max range shown in the car is 560km) and a few days after the range was down to 551.X km.
During all this time the BMS estimated the nominal full pack to 97.9-98.1kWh, thats 1km delta in terms of range (but the car is maxed out and should show 560 km at any full charge.
We need to understand the drawbacks from OTA data that is not ”complete” for the task these companys try to usevit for.
I like teslafi for the easy access and I get the real details from SMT.
IMG_5361.jpeg

Reactions: Bouba
Mine is 2023 m3 rwd and I just noticed when I charge at 100% it only has 260. I have the car for 10 months w 7k miles one it. I only charged the car for 100% 3 times so far. I have short drives daily and I only charge from 30% to 80%.
You might be better served to follow the prominent recommendations in the car, in the owners manual, and in the app and charge to 100% at least once a week.

Last edited:
Its the BMS not the battery, the battery is good for a minimum of 1500 cycles, the algorithm is being adjusted by many variables 100% SOC is more about alleviating your range anxiety than actually battery health, capacity or range. Telsa is giving you a safety buffer below zero because LFP batteries do not have a linear discharge rate at low levels.

Hey guys ! I bought a used tesla model 3
facelift at 25 000km in august. I noticed in
the summer i got around 300km in real life
range but now at 5-10C i am driving around
100km and batery stays at 50% (when i
charged to 100 since it has LFP). However
what confuses me is that at 50 % it says i
used ~16kw , meaning at 0 % i will have used
~32kw. I am wondering where did the other
18kw went. This stats is with heating at 23°
and highway speed of 90 - 110km
Screenshot_20231022_134307_Reddit.jpg

Hey guys ! I bought a used tesla model 3
facelift at 25 000km in august. I noticed in
the summer i got around 300km in real life
range but now at 5-10C i am driving around
100km and batery stays at 50% (when i
charged to 100 since it has LFP). However
what confuses me is that at 50 % it says i
used ~16kw , meaning at 0 % i will have used
~32kw. I am wondering where did the other
18kw went. This stats is with heating at 23°
and highway speed of 90 - 110km
ShareView attachment 984332

What app is this?

Okay , i am new to electrics and can understand a thing. From 54 kw battery 51 usable i get this reading which confuse me. I used 22kw at 50% , so i would use 44 if i drive to 0% . Where other 6kw went ? No precondition used , no using of the app , just driving

Attachments

• 20231101_143342.jpg
    20231101_143342.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 32
So I noticed the other week with my M3 - it was claiming a 268 mile range opposed to the 273. Today when I charged it, it was finished charging with a 265 mile range. In less than a year and with only 7000 on the clock that's 8 miles lost. Is that normal? How do other people's compare?

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So I noticed the other week with my M3 - it was claiming a 268 mile range opposed to the 273. Today when I charged it, it was finished charging with a 265 mile range. In less than a year and with only 7000 on the clock that's 8 miles lost. Is that normal? How do other people's compare?
Seems fine. Lots of threads. Keep it at 55%, maybe a bit higher is ok with LFP. But 55% is good. Then bring to 100% before using it, now and again.

It's all good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lddex