Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ Mileage at Full Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How come? My trip in the am it was at 160 efficiency. Way too much traffic.

If you show the stats (beginning and ending rated miles!) for the beginning and end of a single trip, with a picture of the trip meter, I am sure it will all be easily explained.

I can't answer why it does not count use while in park, and because these losses can be very significant, it is very important to realize. Since last charge is really not very useful except for assessing how much you lost while not driving - only the "since time x:xx" is really particularly useful for assessing driving use.

For you, with starting % of 90%, with a battery with max energy of 49.5kWh, the max you will see on the trip meter is:

49.5kWh * 0.9 * 0.955 * 0.98 = 41.7kWh

If you only go to 90%-> 6% instead of 0%:

49.5kWh * (0.9-0.06)* 0.955*0.98 = 38.9kWh

0.955 => remove 4.5% buffer from the equation (it is below 0% so can't be counted)
0.98 => the trip meter doesn't seem to count 100% of energy use (usually closer to 98% for some reason).

You used (while driving) ~32kWh, so you've lost ~7kWh while in park - easily conceivable if it's been a few days since a charge, if you use Sentry at all, preheat the car even once, etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mrgoogle
If you show the stats (beginning and ending rated miles!) for the beginning and end of a single trip, with a picture of the trip meter, I am sure it will all be easily explained.

I can't answer why it does not count use while in park, and because these losses can be very significant, it is very important to realize. Since last charge is really not very useful except for assessing how much you lost while not driving - only the "since time x:xx" is really particularly useful for assessing driving use.

For you, with starting % of 90%, with a battery with max energy of 49.5kWh, the max you will see on the trip meter is:

49.5kWh * 0.9 * 0.955 * 0.98 = 41.7kWh

If you only go to 90%-> 6% instead of 0%:

49.5kWh * (0.9-0.06)* 0.955*0.98 = 38.9kWh

0.955 => remove 4.5% buffer from the equation (it is below 0% so can't be counted)
0.98 => the trip meter doesn't seem to count 100% of energy use (usually closer to 98% for some reason).

You used (while driving) ~32kWh, so you've lost ~7kWh while in park - easily conceivable if it's been a few days since a charge, if you use Sentry at all, preheat the car even once, etc.

Thanks again Alan for your help, I don't really preheat (LA) or use sentry mode. Maybe I've checked the car a few times on the app but that's about it.

Thanks again Alan for your help, I don't really preheat (LA) or use sentry mode. Maybe I've checked the car a few times on the app but that's about it.
It can still lose a few % throughout the day and night. Pretty much has to be a full, single run.

For what it’s worth, we drove the car to Disney World (Orlando,FL) for the week coming from Atlanta, GA. Started the trip at actual 100% (219mi), and car is now charged to 90% (197mi). No change from when we left, but it is warmer in Orlando than Atlanta (75-80F vs 35-45F).

We had one leg where we pulled in at 8%, and decided to have a long lunch. The car charged up to 100% stating “calculating” and was still charging when we got back roughly 1 hour later. It was sitting at 219mi.

Wasn’t going easy on the car either. Was loaded with about 600 pounds of weight between myself, wife, 2 young kids, luggage, and full size spare and jack. Consumption was in the 290s Wh/mi average.

Enjoy your car folks. So far my car is holding 217-221mi 100% rated range estimate. In my use case, it’ll start affecting me when it drops to the 180mi range @ 100%.... mainly because I’d have to slow down when traveling between superchargers in my area :D. Hopefully that’s a while away.

My August 2019 build is showing 201 at 90% now. I have done the entire month of March charging to 90% every night and leaving the car plugged in until I needed it. My range dropped from 204/205 at the beginning of the month to 201 now. I'm considering changing my charging strategy but I'm not sure if any of it makes a difference on re-calibrating the BMS. From what I have read limiting the max charge to 70-80% as much as possible and staying above a lower threshold of 20-30% is best for the battery pack. I'll follow this regiment, keep the range indicator on percent and just drive and enjoy the car. At least in my mind I'll be treating the battery pack as best I can. Only 4500 miles on the car.

My August 2019 build is showing 201 at 90% now. I have done the entire month of March charging to 90% every night and leaving the car plugged in until I needed it. My range dropped from 204/205 at the beginning of the month to 201 now. I'm considering changing my charging strategy but I'm not sure if any of it makes a difference on re-calibrating the BMS. From what I have read limiting the max charge to 70-80% as much as possible and staying above a lower threshold of 20-30% is best for the battery pack. I'll follow this regiment, keep the range indicator on percent and just drive and enjoy the car. At least in my mind I'll be treating the battery pack as best I can. Only 4500 miles on the car.

I’m playing with charging to 90 instead of 80 because I don’t have much else to do while working from home. I think as temp’s rise around the country so will some mileage but honestly I don’t care, the car is still fun and constantly changing via updates and FSD may finally be worth something this year with new leaks coming out.

I have an August 2019 build SR+, and the car currently has 15,000 miles.

Lowest it has seen @ 90% was 196 miles back in January/February. It is now back up to 200-204 miles @ 90% charge. The miles showed back up after a long trip with a lot of supercharging during an 1,100 mile trip in mid-February.

The miles seem to come back after long trips where the battery experiences the full range of charge. Just my observation.

[QUOTE="pl8dlikafiddle The miles seem to come back after long trips where the battery experiences the full range of charge. Just my observation.[/QUOTE]

My usage is just the opposite which may be why my BMS seems to be showing battery degradation. I typically drive just a few miles a day or every other day. I seldom discharge below 50 or 60 percent except on a 200 mile trip every other month or so. When I do take a trip and use the navigation the graph always shows I use less energy than expected by several percentage points sometimes close to 10 percent which is another clue that the battery has more capacity than the BMS thinks it has I think.

I have an August 2019 build SR+, and the car currently has 15,000 miles.

Lowest it has seen @ 90% was 196 miles back in January/February. It is now back up to 200-204 miles @ 90% charge. The miles showed back up after a long trip with a lot of supercharging during an 1,100 mile trip in mid-February.

The miles seem to come back after long trips where the battery experiences the full range of charge. Just my observation.

Agreed. I have a December 2019 build with 9,000 miles. Currently shows 215 miles at 90%. It was lower but after a trip where I went from 100% to about 5%, it went up to 225. That was a few weeks ago and it has crept back down to 215. Doing a full discharge of the battery seems to let the BMS know how many miles are really in the battery and it seems to adjust its estimate accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.