Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ showing 166 miles at 80% charge.. is that right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a 2019 (Sept build date) M3P with the PUP package (so 20" boat anchor wheels and performance tires). So 299 rated new.
That is incorrect. 310. (Actually 317.5 neglecting the threshold.) You can check the EPA page. Or you can check the position of your rated line (250), or measure your constant via several methods (energy screen plus rated miles, constant = proj*recent/ rated miles). Constant will be 245.

20” irrelevant for that year.

Easy to confirm.

What you get depends mostly on your speed….faster you get less….slower more . This also true of ice vehicles. Estimated range is based on an average speed of 55-60 mph.

The rated miles in a Tesla is not affected AT ALL by how you drive. It is pack capacity at whatever SoC the car is at. The range rating is from calculating ~ 240 Wh/mile (although this varies up to ~ 5% by model, trim, and tyres.)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Can that really be true? Wind resistance is exponential. Certainly the faster you drive, the less efficient the trip will be... right?
The poster is just referring to the amount of energy in each mile (they have nothing to do with distance or how you drive - they are just units of energy).

You can go 50 miles with 300 rated miles, or you can go 350 miles - the rated miles never change, since the energy never changes. It is pretty awesome really. It would be dangerous if they did - you could get surprised.

The poster is just referring to the amount of energy in each mile (they have nothing to do with distance or how you drive - they are just units of energy).

You can go 50 miles with 300 rated miles, or you can go 350 miles - the rated miles never change, since the energy never changes. It is pretty awesome really. It would be dangerous if they did - you could get surprised.

Now I'm even more confused than when I learned where babies came from. Thanks for trying though!! 🤪

Can that really be true? Wind resistance is exponential. Certainly the faster you drive, the less efficient the trip will be... right?

Think of an ICE and a fuel tank. I tell you the tank is half full. You say you are going to speed up to 100 mph. The tank at this moment is still half full.
Will you empty the tank faster at 100 mph, and cover a lesser distance than had you drove slower ? Sure. But the tank right now is half full.

And yet, Tesla gives us a gauge that people incorrectly interpret as miles of range until empty. The correct understanding is rated miles until empty. Tap on that gauge and it will display the exact same information, but represented as percentage of full charge remaining. I suggest leaving the display as a percentage (of full), since that is exactly (and ONLY) what it is

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
The rated miles in a Tesla is not affected AT ALL by how you drive.

Now I understand what's being said. 234Wh/mile is always 234Wh/mile.

However, the "miles remaining" guessometer doesn't show remaining *rated* miles, does it? I was under the impression that its guess was based on recent consumption, weather, elevation, etc.

I switched to percentage on day 1 and never switched back.

Wow, then it's even more useless than I thought. Percentage FTW.
The only issue with percentage, when compared to gas car fuel gauges, is that gas cars don’t typically have tanks that shrink.

Each percent in a Tesla is not a constant quantity. However, after a while it doesn’t change much, and even overall it isn’t a huge change. so it is a non issue. Percentage is fine; it just hides some information.

I think once you get a little bit of feel for how the projected miles translates to the real conditions under which you intend to drive, I‘d just as soon work with the mileage display. What did I do with half a tank of gas? That was 5 gallons in my last car, and the car got about 40-50 miles per gallon. So a half tank would drive me around for another 200-250 miles, which wasn’t really relevant either most of the time because of omni-present gas stations. Except when I cut it too close and got out in between urban areas and had to sweat over whether or not a gas station would appear before the tank went completely empty.

But any time it made a difference, I was converting gas quantities to miles. Now, Tesla does that for me, except they generally aren’t super precise. But once you get a feel for what factors cause inaccuracy, you can then translate Tesla’s miles into something that that is more accurate for your particular situation. Not really that much different than translating half a tank of gas into miles. But ICE or EV, I prefer to think in terms of miles.