Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - SSD USB C or A? Best pick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pick up my 2023 Model 3 next week and want an SSD for Sentry. Does it use USB A or C and which SSD is the best recommendation?
So excited!
I'm not sure if they still include it. You should check with your rep. It was an a-type in mine and in the glove box. It's there to keep it secure. While c-type is faster, I'm not sure it would make that much difference. Recommend you check first.

I picked up my Model 3 2 weeks ago. Its USB A in the glove box. It comes with a 128gb USB drive but I found some of the saved videos looked like they were randomly dropping frames. I swapped it out with a 1tb Samsung T7 SSD drive and the videos are now smooth. Looks like Tesla is going to sell their own version but is $350 for 1tb. The T7 drive was $90.
342188292_249105911019351_2184220416517241446_n.jpg

I picked up my Model 3 2 weeks ago. Its USB A in the glove box. It comes with a 128gb USB drive but I found some of the saved videos looked like they were randomly dropping frames. I swapped it out with a 1tb Samsung T7 SSD drive and the videos are now smooth. Looks like Tesla is going to sell their own version but is $350 for 1tb. The T7 drive was $90.
View attachment 930275
It looks like you have a USB drive and the SSD both plugged in? Also which housing unit is holding the SSD in that pic? Was it plug and play?

It looks like you have a USB drive and the SSD both plugged in? Also which housing unit is holding the SSD in that pic? Was it plug and play?
Yup. SSD drive contains Sentry and dash camera videos. USB drive(the one that came with the car) is for Boombox horn shenanigans. The housing for the SSD drive is a 3d printed part I designed. Its just a place holder and I may redesign it later on. SSD drive is plug and play. Just plug it in and format it in the car. Whatever you buy, it only needs to be USB 2.0 and A sustained write speed of at least 4 MB/s. The drive I got far exceeds the minimum requirements but is cheaper than what Tesla will offer even including the cost of the USB hub and shorter USB cable.

Yup. SSD drive contains Sentry and dash camera videos. USB drive(the one that came with the car) is for Boombox horn shenanigans. The housing for the SSD drive is a 3d printed part I designed. Its just a place holder and I may redesign it later on. SSD drive is plug and play. Just plug it in and format it in the car. Whatever you buy, it only needs to be USB 2.0 and A sustained write speed of at least 4 MB/s. The drive I got far exceeds the minimum requirements but is cheaper than what Tesla will offer even including the cost of the USB hub and shorter USB cable.
Do you have an STL file for that? Thinking about getting the SSD, and that looks nice . . .

I went with a JOWUA USB hub with a micro SD card for videos and a USB drive for music. It's worked flawlessly. It's also supposed to support game controllers, but I haven't tried that. Here's links to the parts I went with.

Reactions: PRESS10
Its a hub I got off amazon(link below, if allowed). There are a bunch of different ones that I found but this one looks like its a factory part.

YONZEE Glove Box USB Hub for Tesla Model 3
That looks like a nice inexpensive way around the no-data-connection issue with the USB-C ports in the console. Cheaper than buying the data module and necessary cabling.

But isn't the glovebox USB-A port USB2 speeds only? I don't get why the USB3 blue port on the hub?

That looks like a nice inexpensive way around the no-data-connection issue with the USB-C ports in the console. Cheaper than buying the data module and necessary cabling.

But isn't the glovebox USB-A port USB2 speeds only? I don't get why the USB3 blue port on the hub?
The glovebox port is USB 3. It should have no problem supporting simultaneous video, music, and game controller usage. I went with separate video and music memory because the USB drive alone had glitches when I tried to use it for both video and music. Putting the video on the SD card resolved that issue. A really fast USB drive would fix it too, but costs more and uses more glovebox space.

Last edited:
Did you get something to put out on Thingiverse?
I did, Link below,

Reactions: pkmody
Have you had any issues using the Hub with the SSD for Sentry/Music? Just seen some spotty reports when people use a hub for these purposes.
Only minor one. Sometimes when trying to view saved videos it takes extra time loading. If I exit out and go back in it loads fine. Playback of videos on the car works fine. I don't use music on the other USB drive so I don't know how it works with music.

BTW 1tb drive might be excessive. I still have videos from 2 months ago on it, lol.

Reactions: zoepup and pkmody