Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 stereo upgrade question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out the link I posted above it's REALLY EASY TO DO, and let's lets you add a sub of your flavor. Though I recommend 8 inch, the 10 is way too damn strong.
Yeah I saw your link - very helpful and informative. The one thing I don’t have is the time to go through all that. But very interesting to see that we can power the existing speakers that simply aren’t plugged in

I suggest contacting Reus - they do the best car audio work I've ever seen by a mile. Remember, when you have an electric car, it's critical that you have an experienced installer. I'm normally cheap, but I didn't see the value in trying to save money on the audio upgrade at the risk of harming the range or anything else. The downside is just too great, and the quality of a Reus system is WELL worth the extra money.

Even if their "entry" system is out of your price range, the owner (Rick) will be happy to help you build a system you can afford even if he's not a part of the sale at all. Their phone # is (714) 663-6636. Tell Rick that Pete with the red model 3 sent you. You will be happy you called him.

Hey Sweet OJ,

I am actually in the middle of upgrading my system with Reus. Which version did you end up getting with him. I am in the south bay are close to Torrance/Palos Verdes. Would I be able to hear your system sometime? Very curious to see how it sounds in a Model 3. Ive heard it in other cars when I met with Rick. But I just want to hear it in the exact environment of the Model 3.

Thanks!

Reactions: Sweet OJ
Looks like around 3K?
Yes, about $3K. Sorry, I didn't know that people were replying to me. I will try to check out this thread more often. :)

And to be clear $3K is more than I've ever spent on car audio before. But the clarity and power are ultra high level - my car sounds better than my home system that also cost $3K (and would have cost much more if my main speakers weren't used).

Reactions: hydro 481
Yes, about $3K. Sorry, I didn't know that people were replying to me. I will try to check out this thread more often. :)

And to be clear $3K is more than I've ever spent on car audio before. But the clarity and power are ultra high level - my car sounds better than my home system that also cost $3K (and would have cost much more if my main speakers weren't used).
Thanks. It sounds like a great system. How much of the improvement is the sub?

If I was younger this probably would've been one of my first upgrades. Not sure if I'm willing to drop 3K on audio nowadays. But I'm sure if I hear it in person I might change my tune.

One important note that I forgot to mention - Reus will put the system they build for you into your next vehicle for only the price of installation. So yes, the initial cost hurts, especially if you're frugal like me. But the long term reward is huge. Once you hear one of their systems, you definitely want it for the rest of your life.

Thanks. It sounds like a great system. How much of the improvement is the sub?

If I was younger this probably would've been one of my first upgrades. Not sure if I'm willing to drop 3K on audio nowadays. But I'm sure if I hear it in person I might change my tune.
I got their system 2, which includes a 10" sub, and it has more than enough for me. Deeper and cleaner bass than I had with 2 JL W9's in my last vehicle. And the highs are so clear without fatiguing your ears. I think they will do a system 2 for $3K consistently now that they've done more of them. Usually their system 2 is $4K, but they gave me a discount for letting them have my car for an extra couple of days to do some R & D on it, as it was only the 2nd model 3 they'd done. They really do what they can to help you if the price is tough for you to swallow, and it definitely was for me.

If you get their system 1, it would include an 8", but a much more powerful one than the stock system has. You would have to talk to Rick about pricing, but I would guess that their system 1 can be had in the model 3 (assuming you have Tesla's premium sound system) for about $2500. Remember, they are simply building the best system they can for that individual's tastes, car, and budget. The model 3 has good acoustics and newer audio tech in it, so Reus can build you a system that sounds awesome (and that they're happy to attach their name to) at a lower cost than nearly any other vehicle. They get all their business from referrals, so the better system they can provide for less money benefits them. When I went down there, I told my wife that their prices were well above what I was comfortable spending and that unless it was easily the best system I'd heard that I was going to politely decline. But when I heard the same system in the model S that they were just finishing up, I had to have it, and I'm not someone who makes emotional purchases like this. I know this sounds like a commercial, but I am only this passionate because their product and service is just better than anywhere else, and I want to help people who really value great sound find it. Rick deserves all the business I can send him, and guys who want top notch audio deserve to have others that had good experiences help them find it.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481
I got their system 2, which includes a 10" sub, and it has more than enough for me. Deeper and cleaner bass than I had with 2 JL W9's in my last vehicle. And the highs are so clear without fatiguing your ears. I think they will do a system 2 for $3K consistently now that they've done more of them. Usually their system 2 is $4K, but they gave me a discount for letting them have my car for an extra couple of days to do some R & D on it, as it was only the 2nd model 3 they'd done. They really do what they can to help you if the price is tough for you to swallow, and it definitely was for me.

If you get their system 1, it would include an 8", but a much more powerful one than the stock system has. You would have to talk to Rick about pricing, but I would guess that their system 1 can be had in the model 3 (assuming you have Tesla's premium sound system) for about $2500. Remember, they are simply building the best system they can for that individual's tastes, car, and budget. The model 3 has good acoustics and newer audio tech in it, so can build you a system that sounds awesome (and that they're happy to attach their name to) at a lower cost than nearly any other vehicle. They get all their business from referrals, so the better system they can provide for less money benefits them. When I went down there, I told my wife that their prices were well above what I was comfortable spending and that unless it was easily the best system I'd heard that I was going to politely decline. But when I heard the same system in the model S that they were just finishing up, I had to have it, and I'm not someone who makes emotional purchases like this. I know this sounds like a commercial, but I am only this passionate because their product and service is just better than anywhere else, and I want to help people who really value great sound find it. Rick deserves all the business I can send him, and guys who want top notch audio deserve to have others that had good experiences help them find it.
Thanks. Your testimonial is very persuasive! :D I think this will be on my list of mods to do. I used to like my music loud and punchy but now I appreciate quality more. I might swing by and have a listen.

From what I understand, the sub takes up the space in the trunk compartment? Is that space still usable? I store a lot of stuff there.

You mentioned the components are transferable to another car but what if it's not another Tesla?

They place the 10" sub in the little compartment underneath the removable false bottom trunk piece. Personally the only time I've used that area was when I went on a 4 day road trip and I needed every bit of space, so it's about as efficiently placed as it could be. Unfortunately anything larger than a 8" sub will not fit where the OEM sub fits.

hey all, so i have a model 3 standard range plus. i am getting the audio components delivered this week
those components are,
PIONEER GM-D9701 Mono 2400W
Pioneer TS-SWX2502 10 inch Shallow-Mount Pre-Loaded Enclosure
Infinity REF-4022cfx 105W 4" Reference Series Coaxial Car Speakers with Edge-Driven, Textile tweeters - Pair

my installer is going to also tap the rear speakers from the trunk into the ones on the doors, and amp and sub will be installed in the trunk, my question is, for the amplifier, can he tap into the dc-dc converter? or do i need a capacitor? i feel that connecting to the 12v battery will drain it.
what is it 2001?

They place the 10" sub in the little compartment underneath the removable false bottom trunk piece. Personally the only time I've used that area was when I went on a 4 day road trip and I needed every bit of space, so it's about as efficiently placed as it could be. Unfortunately anything larger than a 8" sub will not fit where the OEM sub fits.
Thanks. Did you get a chance to listen to any 8" sub setups? I kinda hate to lose that trunk space.

Thanks. Your testimonial is very persuasive! :D I think this will be on my list of mods to do. I used to like my music loud and punchy but now I appreciate quality more. I might swing by and have a listen.

From what I understand, the sub takes up the space in the trunk compartment? Is that space still usable? I store a lot of stuff there.

You mentioned the components are transferable to another car but what if it's not another Tesla?

Thanks. Did you get a chance to listen to any 8" sub setups? I kinda hate to lose that trunk space.

I have heard a system with the 8" sub and it still provides quite a bit of tight, clear low end. For me, I'd want the extra thump. But if you value the extra space and you don't think you'll miss the lower frequencies that a 10" provides, the sound quality will still be outstanding and you can save a few bucks too. Anyone can make a car that booms - the advantage that Reus provides is the overall sound quality over the entire frequency range. Especially the highs - they have the best tweeter I've heard in car audio regardless of price.

LMAO efffff I spent $200 for a class D amp and wiring and for a used Sub.

Read a single page on how to adjust it and it sounds damn good and has more base than the premium.

$2500 is an absolute rip-off of lean epic level.
I learnt from someone else here that it is good manners to say why you disagree.

Bottom line: it is NOT a rip off

I have installed car audio, including one that I entered in a local completion (I wasn't a professional, just someone who enjoyed the tinkering). On a much simpler car, it was still a challenge getting everything routed, grounded, and tuned properly. The basic concept of the installation is easy. Getting it all to function properly and look good is not.

Now we're talking about a far more complex vehicle: the challenges are even greater. And this is on a car that I've spent more money than any other car in my life.

And I don't have the spare time like I used to (as in, I've got none).

So I need a professional to do it: a service I am willing to pay more to ensure it is right. Generally speaking, I wouldn't trust the Best Buy Geek Squad. Heck, I don't trust anybody to do it right. But I have read a LOT of positive reviews, here and elsewhere, about Reus. Quite simply; they do it right.

But the proof is in the pudding: I need to HEAR it. If it doesn't sound right, it isn't worth it. The $3K will be a bit of a stretch for me, but if it lives up to the hype, it will be money well spent for me.

But I also understand the $400-$500 for DIYers works well for them and that's okay too.

YMMV

I learnt from someone else here that it is good manners to say why you disagree.

Bottom line: it is NOT a rip off

I have installed car audio, including one that I entered in a local completion (I wasn't a professional, just someone who enjoyed the tinkering). On a much simpler car, it was still a challenge getting everything routed, grounded, and tuned properly. The basic concept of the installation is easy. Getting it all to function properly and look good is not.

Now we're talking about a far more complex vehicle: the challenges are even greater. And this is on a car that I've spent more money than any other car in my life.

And I don't have the spare time like I used to (as in, I've got none).

So I need a professional to do it: a service I am willing to pay more to ensure it is right. Generally speaking, I wouldn't trust the Best Buy Geek Squad. Heck, I don't trust anybody to do it right. But I have read a LOT of positive reviews, here and elsewhere, about Reus. Quite simply; they do it right.

But the proof is in the pudding: I need to HEAR it. If it doesn't sound right, it isn't worth it. The $3K will be a bit of a stretch for me, but if it lives up to the hype, it will be money well spent for me.

But I also understand the $400-$500 for DIYers works well for them and that's okay too.

YMMV

I appreciate your input, and I did say why I don't like it: it's a complete rip-off. I'm sure if you're doing a competition level install it will be significantly harder.

This is a really, really easy install that requires someone to know how to read and follow directions. I installed a system in my old Mercedes and that was significantly harder than this.

All these companies are charging out the a$$ because they are Tesla's that's all.

• Disagree
I appreciate your input, and I did say why I don't like it: it's a complete rip-off.
Are you saying it is a rip-off for you or for everyone?
All these companies are charging out the a$$ because they are Tesla's that's all.
Then how do you explain that places like Reus have been successful and "charging out the a$$" since long before the Tesla came out? Reus has been in business since Elon Musk was 12 years old. Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. As you are on these boards, one can presume you were "ripped off" by buying a Tesla when you could have just bought a less expensive Leaf or even a $500 ICE beater. You saw the value (to you) in spending more money. To someone like me, I see the potential value in spending this money for something that improves my life.

I'm okay with you not wanting to spend the money: why do you have an issue with me (and others) being willing to do so? I don't think you're wrong in your beliefs - why do you keep insisting that I am wrong for mine?

Agreed on all your points Kevy Baby. It's great that ElectricEel can handle his own installation, and maybe what he is proposing is as easy as he says it is. But that doesn't mean someone who doesn't know what they're doing couldn't make a big mistake or have an oversight that ElectricEel would consider common knowledge and end up costing themself money by trying to save it.

And ElectricEel, Reus charges the same rate for a Tesla and an ice vehicle. This is not extortion, and like Kevy Baby said they were in business many years before Tesla even existed. I have not heard your system, so I can't say it's not amazing. I'm sincerely glad you're happy with it. But what I can say is that every Reus system I've heard (at least to my ear) is a clear level above anything else I've heard in any other car at any price range. Other tweeters do not sound like their tweeters because they designed and engineered them themselves. They have the best highs I've heard, and I like them enough to gladly pay what they charge for their system. $3K is a small fortune to me, but my car sounds so damn good it's still easily worth it.

Bottom line - I understand you are just trying to save people money, and that's really noble of you. But please stop telling everyone they're gullible or stupid for being willing to pay good money for expert level equipment and installation. I'm usually very careful with my money, but this was one splurge that puts a smile on my face daily. And I know that others will feel the same.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricEel